egreevy

Is my kitchen design working?

Edel

Hi again! Got some great advice on my other house renovation topics so thought I'd put the heart of the home up here ;)

I've been working with a kitchen company to design my kitchen and I feel like it's coming close to finalised, but since I'm going to be living with this for a long time, I'm feeling little nervous about signing off.

Functionality as ever comes first and the kitchen company are great at making sure I have enough storage etc.. so I'm happy on that front. I'd love feedback on

• the kitchen design itself
  • given choice of colours, materials etc, is it going to come together?
  • I love the patterny hex floor tile but will it look a lil fussy and should I just go for a rectangular plain one?
  • I'm confused about the flooring - I love both the grey smoky look and the white washed oak. This will most likely span most of our downstairs so it's got to be right!

Appreciate your help. Thanks a mill

• sharhally
    last modified: 6 years ago

The kitchen design looks good, there's no plan but from the 3d it looks like there is a decent amount of work-space between the sink and hob. (The space used most in a kitchen) And you have a nice amount of space on the island. I love the mix of colours and textures, I have put that work-surface in a lot of kitchens and it always looks great, especially contrasted with the darker colour you've chosen. The tiles for the floor are gorgeous but would you grow tired of them? Tiles are always something people are slow to change in the future because of the work and cost involved. I personally would choose something simpler as I think you have enough going on in the kitchen you don't want to detract from that. Also I would go for the Oak limed white wash timber floor as it is a warmer colour and would tie in well with the timber in the kitchen. Hope that helps

• Ash McGregor
    The kitchen layout looks good but I'd reduce the number of cupboard finishes to two maximum. Personally I find the hex tiles a bit fussy but perhaps having square plain and patterned ones might work.
  • Related Discussions

Would dark wood floor in hall leading to light oak floor kitchen work?

Q

What I have always thought is, if you try to "match" an existing floor it looks like you tried and missed. When you go with something completely different, the result is yes, I wanted something different, and here it is. Especially if you lay it in a different direction. Does that make sense?
    ...See More

Any advice on how to make my kitchen work ?

Q

The way to get your own eyes on the issue is to start with a general clear out so you can really "see" your kitchen and "keeping" room. Box up and remove all the stuff - tops of cabs, counters, art on walls, fridge and floor clutter, photos, area rugs. Then dig into the cabs and the hutch and remove all the items you only use once or twice a year. Store those away from the kitchen so you gain more room in the cabs for items you regularly use. Is that a radiator on the wall by the TV? I'm thinking the hutch niche would make a great computer area with a built-in desk. Are there any other doors into this room and is this your only living room? What size is the window at the table? Are you up for more than rearranging things? Any construction you can do? Can you take more pix, comment here and attach images?
    ...See More

Small downstairs toilet & shower - are my ideas gonna work?

Q

Hi. I think the overall look is good. Large tiles do make a room feel bigger as the pattern is less busy however I've seen the hex tiles in small bathrooms and they seem to work as your inspiration pic shows. I would probably lose the flowers though if I'm honest. Do you want the window for light or ventilation? Could a decent extractor be sufficient? I'm thinking that back ŵall could look quite busy. Is there any opportunity to change the layout? Moving soil pipes can be a little costly but could the sink be moved although ideally the loo would be hidden round the corner. You can pick up some great looking vintage or vintage style taps on ebay although unsure if the quality of the repro ones, If the layout can't be changed maybe have a corner loo and ŵall hung trough sink and put some storage in on the rhs as you come through the door depending on how you plan for the shower to open
    ...See More

Need help with designing my kitchen

Q

I think it's mainly a matter of taste -- both should clean pretty well.
    ...See More
  • Jonathan

I quite like the layout. My only thought is do you need 5 stools or are you more likely to eat elsewhere? If you don't need 5 stools I would have more cabinets below and thick panels at each end of the island because at the moment it looks like the work surface is floating and since your ovens have such a chunky surround why not replicate that on your island?

• Edel
    Jonathon only plan to have 3-4/stools. actually I was wondering should the surround just frame the oven like a box and not stretch up to the ceiling.
  • Edel

Thanks Minnie101..

Yeah I feel like there is something off with the proportions but haven't been able to pin it down. It's hard to see the finish from the mock-up.

• The colours are not exact on the mock - my cupboards are matt painted finish
    • The countertop is granite, though I was looking at dekton (a concrete effect reconstituted workstop) - fabulous but it's very pricey.
    • And the ovens will be steel, not white!

I think you're right on the grey floor tile... I just love that hex tile but feeling it's going to be too much and the flooring area is about 2.6m x 4.4m. I might try and use a little of it elsewhere.

I'll look into making the island overhang smaller / or island bigger, but functionally, it's better to be able to tuck the stools in under and put your legs somewhere when you're sitting at the island so I'll have to figure out if we can increase the base just a little

I had considered a grey island base and wooden worktop - but just feel as tho the wooden workstop is not as practical and doesnt wear as well, plus getting the reclaimed look in countertop is difficult!

• Edel

jonathandb1972 - do you mean make the island bigger and have the overhang only on the longer side and bring the wood panelling around the 3 sides?

• Jonathan
    No I would put a chunky panel on each of the short sides and cabinets all along the length near the sink and then bar stools on the opposite side. This way the overhang for the island wok surface will be supported.
    Edel thanked Jonathan
  • Edel thanked Jonathan
    Wimbledon lighting and electrical

The design looks great, I love the colours too. The grey and oak look really nice. In regards to the 3 pendants you have hanging from the ceiling, we have a concrete version on our website. Its a brand new modern design and would really compliment the colours you've opted for

http://www.wimbledonlighting.co.uk/indoor-lighting/ceiling-lights/pendant-ceiling-lights/intalite-155710-soprana-solid-pd-1-pendant-concrete-grey-e14-max-25w.html

Edel thanked Wimbledon lighting and electrical
  • Edel

jonathandb1972 - had to read it a few times but YES - Brilliant.. that is exactly what it needs!!!! Love it :D

• minnie101

Hi Edel. It sounds like the Island is sorted! Which Denton worktop were you looking at? They do look great. Perhaps a mad idea but.. What if you were to have either a strip of your tiles running behind the island or in the space in front of the breakfast bar. Pics to try and show what I mean. I would try and make the strip the width of the other tiles ( and buy extra) so if you did ever tire of them you could replace them. Just a thought anyway

Edel thanked minnie101
  • Edel

minnie101 Absolutely love that idea :) I was thinking I might use that tile at the french doors opening onto the back garden - something like the second pic :) But will defo consider it as you suggest.

I do love the use of colour in the tiles in first pic - would love to do something like that but would worry about tiring of it. I want to bring more colour into the kitchen but thinking of doing that through light fittings, kitchen chairs or stools or whatever we put on the wall as it's is less permanent :)

I don;t know the name of the dekton workshop but it's a brightish greyish colour. I havent seen it with my kitchen cabinets yet so it's all up in the air. It's coming out more expensive that everything else in the kitchen put together <eek>

• minnie101

Oh that's good! the colourful tiles do look very pretty, you could do that and as I say just make sure you buy extra of the other tiles. I think I would probably stick with your grey ones though personally and add colour in the accessories which you can change more cheaply when/if you tire of them! Ok, I might pass on the dekton worktop then, the granite will look great anyway!

• sharhally
    I prefer your original island to the other suggestion of filling in both gables but maybe that's just me! I love the contrast you had going. I've seen the other island done so many times, I thought yours was different especially with the reclaimed wood. It gave it a more industrial feel. And has a lightness to it that the other one doesn't. Just a thought!
    Edel thanked sharhally
  • Edel

Thanks sharhally.. I'm definitely keeping the reclaimed wood - love it :) I'm feeling the proportions of the island might work out better with the gables.

• sharhally

Ask your kitchen company to draw up that island version for you and put it in your 3d visualisation, then you can put the two side by side and you'll know for certain. Go with your gut! I've designed kitchens for 20 years so seen it all and I really like your proposal. Its got a nice asymmetry to it but some people prefer symmetry so maybe thats why the other appeals better to you. One more point, well two actually, Sometimes people don't like to line all the stools on one side as its hard to sit and have a coffee and a chat when your elbow to elbow, its nicer when at least one is on the side so you can face each other. ( And lets face it thats all we do, sit around and drink coffee!! ) (Not a deal breaker I know just an observation) And if you bring the gables out the full depth and have stools under the overhang, your reclaimed timber will be hidden a bit. You can tell where my vote lies!! Seriously though, get the option drawn up and you'll know which works best for you!

Edel thanked sharhally
  • Edel

sharhally - Good points. Esp on visibility of the wood. I had thought about the conversational side, which is why we had the overhang on the left in the first instance. Going back to the kitchen crowd tomorrow :)

• bookworm987

Hey just a note - I've pointed this out on other people's designs too so don't want to sound like a broken record - but I would reconsider having the ovens in a tall unit with no workspace either side. In terms of functionality, it makes it quite awkward to take large or heavy dishes out of the oven with nowhere to set it down - think of your Christmas turkey!

But other than that, your design is coming along nicely - and I love your island the way it is!

OnePlan
    last modified: 6 years ago

That's a good point raised by bookworm - just for everyone's piece of mind - there's a recommendation for that - and in this instance I think it's ok ... Looking at the island placements... If there's not space either side of the oven - the an island opposite is ok as long as it's within approx 1200mm ... Will add screen shot from recommendation ...
    Typically Houzz app isn't allowing me to add pic !! Will see if I can do it on web ....

Edel thanked OnePlan
    OnePlan

• Edel

Thanks OnePlan and bookworm987 - It looks like the island works for this

• phoenix64

Hi edel, good luck with your new kitchen. One observation. Is that a double oven with a microwave on top? How high is the microwave? Will you be able to stir food and remove liquids without the risk of burning yourself?

OnePlan
    I spotted that too - but just assumed you are both really tall - as any good professional wouldn't design a microwave above shoulder height as it's dangerous to do so ! Unless they are actually intending to put it lower but their software isn't adaptable ?!?!
  • Rachel Perkins
    Ooh my him c. H&m n
  • Edel
    Thanks for all the advice folks... my kitchen is nearly finished....just Shelves and back of my island to be completed but wanted to share as who knows when we'll get to them... just enjoying the space for now!
  • Moogles

Looks great, what exact colour are the tall units? and are they a matt finish?

• Edel
    Hi Paul, thanks! they are anthracite grey painted Matt finish.
  • Moogles

thanks, and how is the matt to live with so far, ie with kids, finger-marks, water drips etc?

• Edel
    it's actually good so far. there is a slight sheen. I thought the flat Matt would just stay clean but it still needs a wipe. no such thing as maintenance free kitchen
  • belsize

Lovely, much better than the 3D plan. V glad you kept your patterned floor tiles, I really like them. It's all come together very attractively. The only thing I'd change and this is just because I'm a colour freak is the pendants - I'd probably have made those red and orange or something. But congrats really, it looks great.

• Edel
    Thanks belsize! I contemplated a mustardy yellow but with the pattern didn't want to get too fussy!
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.