garethrees

Edwardian City Terrace Small Garden

garethrees
8 years ago

I'm trying to decide on what to do with my 10m × 4.7m garden.

Here's the existing plan view:

…and a photograph:

---

I've been through loads of iterations of design on SketchUp but I'm yet to feel like I've found "the one".

I'm just outside a large city, and I want to have the feel of a city garden – not a cottage in the countryside. That said, I'd rather something more classic than super modern.

I'm definitely going to deck out to at least 2.4 meters, and along the side return of the house because it will be the easiest way to tidy up the existing concrete patio. After that, I'm not sure.

Here are some things I want (or don't want) from the garden:

• Space for 2-8 people to eat outside
  • Enough lawn to lie on in the sun
  • At least an 8x6 shed
  • Ability to grow herbs and leafy vegetables (salad-type stuff)
  • The less construction work the better
  • Relatively low maintenance, but not afraid of a bit of work
  • Not decking; path; lawn (e.g. http://i.imgur.com/NlZtZ2x.jpg); this feels like it has no soul
  • More "kept" than "wild"

I was debating whether to post any of my designs in progress, because I don't want to influence suggestions too much. I'm sure there must be something I haven't thought of that only a fresh pair of eyes could point out. Here are some links to my plans, but I'm totally open to something radically different.

Cheers!

Comments (24)

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I think simple is best in a small space. Do you need quite such a large shed as it does rather dominate the designs?

Not sold on the metal gazebo.

I think the design with the curved lawn looks nicest but your shed does appear to be the focal point in these designs.

Which way does the garden face?

garethrees thanked pannacotta
  • garethrees
    Original Author
    8 years ago

> Do you need quite such a large shed as it does rather dominate the designs?

Probably not. I definitely want at least 8x6, but I was thinking it might be nice to have a shed that can double as a bit of a garden room. This (http://i.imgur.com/YhQpXwU.jpg) was the inspiration. Its not essential, though.

> Not sold on the metal gazebo.

Nah, me neither.

> Which way does the garden face?

Garden faces East.

> I think simple is best in a small space.

Yeah, I like the idea of some nice clean lines (http://i.imgur.com/W20Ood1.jpg) and not having too much going on, but I can't quite convince myself that I won't end up with something too boring (http://i.imgur.com/94WnyUL.jpg)

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

If it faces East then you will have the evening sun at the end of the garden where the shed is in your plans. Does that bother you?

IMO garden rooms often become dumping grounds, in such a small space and with other requirements such as space to sit/sunbathe/grow veg then you may need to compromise.

• garethrees
    Original Author
    8 years ago

> If it faces East then you will have the evening sun at the end of the garden where the shed is in your plans. Does that bother you?

There's no other place to put the shed really. It can't go at the side of the house because I've got a large kitchen window to let light in. Not sure where else I could put it other than in the corner?

I think I'd have more options for a seating area further up the garden if I wasn't constrained to decking the concrete. Maybe that's an area to investigate further, though.

> IMO garden rooms often become dumping grounds

Yeah, there is that. I've got a large attic so most stuff is up there, but I see what you mean.

> in such a small space and with other requirements such as space to sit/sunbathe/grow veg then you may need to compromise.

Yeah, I think the problem is that its trying to do too much.

> I think the design with the curved lawn looks nicest but your shed does appear to be the focal point in these designs.

Even if I made the shed an 8x6, I'm not sure what it would buy me – I guess another planter?

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

If you have a small shed and site it so sideways on you could screen it with planting in front.

I suppose what I was wondering is whether you really need a shed in such a small space?

Do you have anywhere else you could store tools/mower?

There was a similar thread I posted on a few months back will see if I can find it as you might find it helpful.

garethrees thanked pannacotta
  • pannacotta
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
  • garethrees
    Original Author
    8 years ago

> I suppose what I was wondering is whether you really need a shed in such a small space?

> Do you have anywhere else you could store tools/mower?

I have thought about this, but I definitely need some storage. Wheelbarrow, workmates, ladders, gardening bits. I might be able to get away with something a bit smaller – maybe 6x6.

> [https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/help-for-my-tiny-garden-dsvw-vd~2918971[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/help-for-my-tiny-garden-dsvw-vd~2918971)

Thanks. I'll take a look through this.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I think that really good planting to soften the design is an easy way to add interest if you don't want to do any really major structural work.

As someone said on the other thread its a shame to use the whole width of the garden for a combined path/exit and shed but it sounds as if you wouldn't want to move the shed to the other side of the garden or to move the gate to behind the shed.

The photo you posted with the slatted fencing is simple but looks good as it is heavily planted with interesting looking plants/trees.

Adding height is essential in a small garden so I would plan for a small tree and some tall but light shrubs.

• garethrees
    Original Author
    8 years ago

> As someone said on the other thread its a shame to use the whole width of the garden for a combined path/exit and shed but it sounds as if you wouldn't want to move the shed to the other side of the garden or to move the gate to behind the shed.

I hadn't thought of that actually. I'll be demolishing the existing block shed (and the banking behind it) this week, so I'll definitely be buying a wooden shed. Since that needs to be accessible for painting, then I could put it in front of the gate, leaving enough room to get in and out. The gate is rarely used, so I doubt it would be a problem.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

That would maximise your space. You could leave a utility area behind the shed if you need one, for bins/pots and compost etc which you will probably need if you are growing veg etc.

• garethrees
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A few more ideas based on a 6x6 shed (1.8m x 1.8m):

Middle one gives a fair amount of space for everything, but the lawn looks a bit sparse – would need to figure out a way of making it interesting while retaining the space.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

Do you have a photo looking back to the house? That might help.

Where is your main view from the house and which room is it?

• garethrees
    Original Author
    8 years ago

> Do you have a photo looking back to the house?

This is the view from around about the shed entrance.

The initial photograph was taken from the back bedroom (office) window.

The back door leads in to the kitchen.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

Ok so in that case it makes sense to try and get the shed on the left side so it isn't your main view and you get the long view from the kitchen. Also I suggest staining it and all fences black.

What did you think to the circles idea? They can work really well in a small space, though the pic minnie linked to would work well too and showed the benefit of adding height.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hey pannacotta. Black lamp btw! I forgot to reply and then couldn't find the thread.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

Hey minnie, thanks. Am dithering now (who knew?!) and wondering about a brass/copper reading lamp....
    How are you getting on, any more thoughts re garden? I loved your house pics on another thread, looks gorgeous.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

lol! I must admit I do think a reading lamp would look really great in your room. Garden same place, awaiting funds, although have "ordered" the ceramic garden stools as part of birthdays /anniversairy present. They will have to be stored in the garage for now as they will look odd as is it now. AAh, thankyou, I needed to hear that now!

• PRO
    Lavin Landscape & Ground Maintenance
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    • Shed integrated into covered seating area, back of shed has door opening onto street/ lane. I am guessing that you are UK based, hence the covered seating area. You could put doors on the 'open area' and have it as a garden room too with a sofa and small stove?. Nice for those Sunday mornings with a hot cup of coffee and the Sunday papers.
    • Curved path laid on nidagravel, edged in steel
    • Turf lawn
    • Plant herbs and veg instead of shrubs
    • Two beds either side of decking area
    • Replace fence and top with trellis for privacy
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago
    I really like the professionals drawing but it seems like a lot of effort/ money to store a £35 wheelbarrow.
    Why not get rid of the lawn mower and wheelbarrow and spend the shed money on some high quality artificial turf.
  • Josephine Geeson
    8 years ago

Way to go, jonathandb1972!

• ducissa
    8 years ago
    Buying a prefabricated shed means you're stuck with that big cuboid chunk of wood intruding into your central area. If you could custom-build a long, not very deep wooden structure along the back fence it wouldn't intrude so much and you could have a patio in front. This sort of thing...
  • PRO
    Eden Garden Design
    7 years ago

I would be very happy to do a design for you. Take look at my website www.edengardensolutions.co.uk and let me know if I can help. cheers for now. Sheldon

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.