er21

Help me liven up my bathroom DIY style (on an interim basis)

E Robinson
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, Pending a total refit (which I can't afford just yet), I am desperate to liven up my bathroom which is very grey and dull. The walls and ceiling are white, the sanitary wear is white and everything else is dark grey. I can't change the floor (grey lino) but wondered about painting over the wooden covering of the side of the bath and the housing of the toilet cistern and plumbing...? Could I paint over the tiny tiles on the wall? Any ideas for work (including colours) I could do myself would be greatly appreciated. In the longer I hope to come back and find professional help to re-do it entirely. Many thanks in anticipation! EAJ

Comments (7)

• tamp75
    8 years ago
    I actually quite like the grey. You could paint over the bath panel if it's wooden but I think it ties everything together. I wouldn't paint over the tiles. I think you just need to add some colour - some bright coloured towels & bath mat. Maybe some coloured storage boxes / baskets to keep those toiletries in on the side. A plant (maybe an orchid) might be good. A shower screen rather than the curtain would provide a better look but obv that would require more outlay now. Other than that, it looks fine.
    E Robinson thanked tamp75
  • PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Dear EAJ,

I don't think it i a good idea to paint over the tiles.

This bathroom looks great to me, white goes well with grey, the only thing you would need (just like tamp75 suggested) is giving some colour to your bathroom. If I was you I would get some decoration or maybe paint the panel of the bath but the way is done now it all ties together.

You could consider adding yellow, orange, blue, lilac, green to your space, perhaps paint the bath panel in yellow? Personally, I wouldn't change anything as it is already nicely made.

StJames Design Interiors

E Robinson thanked Akiva Projects Ltd
  • pannacotta
    8 years ago

I like it but would add a bit of cheerful colour such as bright pink, perhaps in the form of an orchid and some baskets for your toiletries, to sit on the shelf.
    You could change the mat and curtain for more colourful versions too. The tiles and bath panel look smart and stylish IMO.

E Robinson thanked pannacotta
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    As others have said, you just need to throw in some colourful accessories. Something zesty like orange, yellow or lime would all look great, as would the bright pink someone has mentioned. Change your shower curtain to something colourful and patterned and add coloured towels, artwork etc. you've said that your walls are painted white, why not give them a lick of yellow or lime for a pop of colour? Funky yellow and grey chevron shower curtain: http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+yellow_grey_chevron_shower_curtain,862960603?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=shower-curtains&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=cpc-product-ads-uk&utm_content=862960603
    E Robinson thanked mrsmcee74
  • E Robinson
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well so far I've managed to tidy up my bottles etc to give a cleaner look, I've added a (fake) plant (mini orchid style) and I'm about to hang a few pictures to liven it up, with a blue theme.

Thanks for the ideas and if there are any more, I'd be pleased to hear them.

• PRO
    My Boutique Home
    8 years ago

Sounds like you are getting some good advice. I would recommend before you hang pictures you check the tone/hue of the blue you are going to introduce. If the grey in the bathroom is a warm grey, then you will be introducing a cool colour that may make the room look flat.

All greys have a base colour for example yellow, purple, green etc. If you can define the base colour of your tiles you will be able to accessorize more appropriately. Using a range of face cloths in a multitude of colours is one easy way of checking which colour works well in your bathroom. John Lewis have a kaleidoscope of self coloured (and patterned) inexpensive towels, you can simply return the ones you don't want. Buying on line saves time and hassle and I think is free if you spend over £50. Keeping your palette to an odd number of colours ie 3/5/7 will help. You already have white and grey, so adding one or 3 more colours would be a good rule of thumb. Good luck and have fun!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.