eleanorsheehanarchitects

Paint ideas living space

I painted two walls dark brown in my house and now I hate the colour-I feel like it clashes with the wood-I need some colour ideas and should i paint the chimney breast a different colour to the wall. I really want a bright modern feel and to use colour to make it work. Help! Ideas welcome

OnePlan
    White ... Keep it simple as the walls aren't the focus here !
    Looks a fab layout and room shape !
    OnePlan
    Add colour by anchoring your sofas on a large, whipped edge carpet off cut, rug ! So both sofas are on it.
    eleanor sheehan architects

I did have a large rug but because I have two dogs they destroyed it-any ideas re colours of rugs

• mrsmcee74
    Are the sofas dark brown or black? If brown I think duck egg would work well with the blonde woods and the brown sofas.
    eleanor sheehan architects thanked mrsmcee74
  • mrsmcee74
    Or a fresh apple green would also work.
  • mrsmcee74
    Or something with a grey undertone like Farrow & Ball Blue Gray, or Light blue. So basically I think any of the cooler colours would work.
    colourhappy

I like the tone of your walls, it breaks up the room. I think a stone colour or a colour with a blue undertone would work to balance the wood. F&B Light Grey (warm stone colour) may work or F&B Pigeon (blue/grey undertone). A cool olive/grey sisal rug would look good too.

• minnie101

I think I would actually go a bright blue on the chimney breast similar to the chair colour. I'd add cushions in the primary colours to pick up the colours in the art and go for a white and black geometric rug. Alternatively just a subtle cowhide "plonked" under the table. I'd just paint the tv ŵall white. It's a great space!

• Ann Ellis

I would also chose to paint the main wall white as it would merge with the ceiling. Then paint the narrow wall a positive colour, like F&B arsenic. If you are looking for a rug perhaps with dogs and children one of the indoor/ outdoor rugs would do for now. ( Google it as there are many suppliers) Chose rug/ textiles first, easy to match a paint colour that way round!

• Ben Newton

Ultimately the colour is fine, looking at the photo the issue (please don't think me rude here) is the visual weight of all the CDs above the TV. You've got a really nice clean design regarding the room, then the wall seems a little cluttered! Also, the stereo is quite heavy and dark, above the light wicker boxes, stereo is also pushed forward and boxes recessed back. I think it just needs a little clearing out, maybe digitise the cd and you'd give much more breathing space:-)

• Jonathan

agreed- I think the room could benefit from closed cabinets so that less is on show.

On the picture the brown looks nice. Perhaps the picture is deceptive though and it is too red and would be better swapped for a brown with grey in it. Alternatively add silver grey accents

NK interior design
    I'd paint white the TV wall in oder to make it visually higher and to hide the white color of the door, now the dark color under lines that it is rather low and different from two main doors color and height of third one.
    I like brown FP wall, it works good with sofas and will attract eyes visually raising the ceiling above TV furniture.
    And one more thing I'd think about: the 1-st photo shows that there are too much unconnected different heights (doors, mirror, TV furniture, FP wall, ceiling). Definitely some heights are needed to be connected. I'd put lower the mirror and the shelf above FP so that the TV furniture and the mirror up lines were the same height.
    To bring more colors into the room as it was mentioned above I'd pick up some colors from the art work for cushions and curtains.
    Akiva Projects Ltd

Hello Eleanor,

I would live the chimney breast in the same colour as it gives a different dimension to the living area. The other wall really needs a different colour as this all together looks a bit dull.

Have you considered some warm greys? I'm not sure how much you like bold colours but I could imagine some nice shade of yellow, that would still suit the surroundings, floor, etc.

Good luck with your Project!

StJames Design Interiors