macvirtualasst

Asheville modular?

macvirtualasst
8 years ago
Hi, can anyone recommend higher end modular builders in Asheville please?

Comments (10)

• User
    8 years ago

Oxymoron.

• User
    8 years ago

High end homes are custom builds with high end materials. That rules out modular completely.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just to be clear what you're asking for-are you seeking to build a modular home or a manufactured home? A modular home is built just like a stick built home and placed on a regular crawl space or foundation. It is usually brought to the site in sections and finished there. A manufactured home can otherwise be referred to as a doublewide. It is built on steel I beams and placed on a concrete pad or possibly a crawl space or basement. I spent almost 9 years in the industry and sold both types of homes. I disagree with Sophie Wheeler and GreenDesigns that modular homes are an inferior type of home. The best builder that I came across in those 9 years was a company called Ritz-Craft. The quality of materials and attention to detail was as good, or better than, any site built home. Floor plans range from small 2 bedroom homes to 5,000 square foot 2-story homes. They have a plant in North Carolina and I'm sure there is a dealer near you. They even offer plant tours so you can see for yourself the quality and workmanship of their product. You can look at floor plans and find a dealer by clicking on the attached link. Good luck with your project! http://ritz-craft.com/

• macvirtualasst
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks! Definitely not manufactured. I am considering an off frame modular. From what I'm seeing though they can be as costly as site built homes.
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

On average, we found that they were approximately 10% less than a site built home. Certainly it depends on what kind of materials you're looking to put both inside and outside of the home. The cost to prepare a site is the same regardless of whether you're doing site built or modular. Any good dealer will be able to give you a very close approximation of site costs. Are you considering a single or multi story home? In the modular world, it's actually less expensive to go out than up. I suggest you find a dealer near you and take a few hours to speak with them. Take some time to explore the web site first, as there is a wealth of information as well as all of the options available to you on there. As I said, I sold these homes for almost nine years so if I can answer any questions for you, I'll be happy to do so.

• User
    8 years ago

Ask a real estate agent and bank loan officer about modular. They do not appraise like stick build new or used.

• katinparadise
    8 years ago

I'm sorry GreenDesigns but I'm going to disagree again with you. In my experience, which spanned 9 years and over 50 homes built, never once did I not have a project appraise as well as a stick build new or used home. As a salesperson, my job was not just to sell the home to the customer but to see the project through to its completion, which of course included both construction financing and final mortgage. As long as the home being built was appropriate to the area and was not over optioned and upgraded, it always appraised with conventional financing. We built homes that were financed by FHA, VA, conventional and USDA. A manufactured home can have appraisal issues but a modular home, which is built specifically to each state's building code and is the same as a stick built house, is not the same thing.

• User
    8 years ago

Can't address specifics, but my brother put one on a property more than twenty years ago and it's going strong with regular maintenance. He rents it out and it's snapped up quickly every time.

• PRO
    Modular Home Builders Association
    8 years ago

Hi katinparadise, I'd love to speak with you about your experience in the modular industry. I'm looking for some info on the differences between site and modular built homes in the beginning stages of the building process. If you'd be open to speaking with me please send me a message on our Houzz page and I'll send you my direct contact info.

Thanks!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.