blazzara

Travertine pool decking slippery!!!

blazzara
8 years ago

Help, my travertine pool deck is very slippery!! We were told that travertine is not suppose to be slippery but I feel it is unsafe when wet with small children. We had it sealed once with a grip in it but it changed the color of the travertine. What else is recommended to make it slip proof? I believe I need to remove existing sealer and start over with something else.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 years ago

What did you seal it with once you removed the "grip" sealant?

• blazzara
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We used an acrylic product. Deck-o-grip is the name. I have not removed it yet but it's been about a year and it seems to be slightly peeling. I was told by the company to use their degreasing product and pressure wash.
  • blazzara
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The Deck-o-grip has a grit type product in it. Does etching the travertine work?
  • greenliving143
    7 years ago

We are about to get travertine. Did you get it honed or polished? I heard to only buy tumbled travertine pavers if you get polished or honed its slippery. I hope this is correct since I have young kids and would not be happy if it is slippery.

• blazzara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ours is tumbled but we made the mistake of sealing it which made water bead up and super slippery. 3k later, the sealer was grinded off with industrial sander and etched with an acid wash. It is not slippery now. Keep it in it's natural state.
  • Elaine
    6 years ago

greenliving143 did you install the travertine? We're about to order it for our outdoor steps. Any thoughts are appreciated!

• blazzara
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We did our whole entire pool decking, about 1400 square feet in the ivory color. It is absolutely beautiful but do not have it sealed! In the Natural State it should not be slippery. Also over time there are some imperfections in it and it does crack easily in very cold temperatures. We have a few spots that have naturally gotten holes in them.

• Carol
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We sealed our travertine and it's become very slippery.. then I found this video. You'd think a stone expert would have some level of basic knowledge. But they just want to take your money. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH2L5NaRJA .

• Debbie George
    5 years ago

I have the tumbled, and yes, with the sealant, it was slippery. The sealant wore off after two seasons, and it's no long slippery. My problem is, my travertine as literally bleached out in the Florida sun, to the point where the once canyon color is now cream. The part of the deck under the porch roof, is the original color. When the bleached out deck gets wet, its back to its lovely canyon variegated rusts and tans. The only way to get those colors back is to seal it...ugh.

• PRO
    Armstone
    4 years ago

Hey guys,

Yes your ordinary Tumbled Travertine is slippery when wet.

Please read this article which explains Why you Should avoid using Tumbled Travertine around the Pool.

• KS Peak
    4 years ago

is there a link to the article?

• PRO
    Armstone
    4 years ago
  • vvassar
    3 years ago

To Armstone
    What are some solutions you recommend for areas already !
    We trusted our landscaper and now it’s already finished and in its 2nd summer only — our 5 grandchildren under 4 can hardly walk around the pool -with one head injury already are we left with no choice but replacing?
    I was hoping a different seal would work ?

• Elaine
    3 years ago

I tagged this thread when I was remodeling my pool 2 yrs ago. I ended up using travertine coping which looks beautiful, and travertine on 5 large steps leading down to the main patio/pool area. Last week I slipped on the top step thanks to morning dew, became airborne and crashed back down onto the remaining 5 steps, and spent the day in the ER. I definitely don't recommend travertine for steps. :-(

• blazzara
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had a company that came out and used an etching solution. I think you can Google it and find it online. I do not remember the name of what he use but it came in big jugs. Once they came in sanded it down with a diamond sander they put the hatching material on and we have never had an issue since. It's been 2 and 1/2 years since they've done it. From what I hear you should use natural travertine and never seal it. it was very expensive for them to come in sandown the top coat of the sealer, I think we paid close to $2,500 for that and the etching solution to be applied but it was worth it.

• blazzara
    Original Author
    3 years ago

we had a company that had to come with a huge diamond sander, something similar to what you would see cleaning commercial floors. They grinded down to top of the surface which took off the original sealer. Then they used an etching solution that they mopped on. I do not remember the name of the solution but I'm pretty sure you can Google it. Something similar to etching solution for tile, anti-slip. Since then we have not had an issue. From all that I have heard you should never seal Travertine because it should not be slippery in it's natural state as long as it was not polished. It was pretty pricey to have it done, about $2,500 but it was so worth it because we've not had any issues for about two-and-a-half years and have not had to do it again.

• PRO
    Armstone
    3 years ago

To vvassar:

Acid washing will help to make it less slippery to a degree (find a professional to do this process and don't try to do it yourself). The second solution is to research and find antislip liquids that make pavers non slip but you have to apply them every year as it wears off. Over the years with the weather travertine pavers get less and less slippery.

• marc zafrany
    3 years ago

If you're in south Florida Miamifloorsafety.com is a great company with all the solutions for your slippery pool decks, patios, bathrooms.

• HU-592978806
    2 years ago

I remodeled my backyard last Summer and used turf and white travertine. Initially, it looked bright and beautiful but was also very slippery; I assume because it was sealed. Over time, the sealant has worn in places and it seams to have more traction. On a side note, my travertine was set with grey concrete mix of sorts and has been absorbed up through the tile to show a grey tint instead of being bright white. I assume it was set incorrectly or should not have been set with grey concrete. Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, is there a solution?

• HU-415276049
    last year

what type of acid wash is recommended to etch travertine to not make it slippery?

• Deb B
    last year

We had a travertine stepping stone walkway installed by professional landscapers. It was never sealed and it is INCREDIBLY SLIPPERY when wet. Whenever we have had rain, we avoid walking on the tiles and just walk in the grass. It has been this way since day 1. I will NEVER use travertine again.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.