silva9006

Decorate my fireplace!

silva9006
9 years ago
I have a black folate fireplace that is wider on the left than the right. Most of my "finishing touches" have a black element to them, and my house is a light gray. I want to add color and that "cozy" feel to this room, it's also the first thing your eye goes too when stepping into the house. Mirrors are not an option.

Which picture do you like best, OR what would you do here?

Comments (69)

• dianamm1
    9 years ago

I would place a tall decorative vase or a sculpture in a color that would tie in with whatever art you choose or a wooden crate or basket of firewood, perhaps birch or some lighter colored driftwood for some contrast, on the left side of the hearth to detract from the imbalance and break up the wide expanse of black. Even if the fireplace is gas the logs will add a homey touch. Or, an arrangement of three smaller objects of varied heights would achieve he same effect.

• jomearaak
    9 years ago

Keep the insert, tile and mantel black, paint everything else white. Also paint the wall behind white. Frame the art with a gothic style frame painted black. If it is too dark to see in photos, then it is too dark for the room. black is beautiful but you can't use it like this, it just sucks the light out of the room, and makes it too hard to appreciate.

• Related Discussions

Decorating around a red brick fireplace!!

Q

Comments (7)
    I hope you can talk her out of that. The walls are beautiful and there will be glue to remove and a price to pay if you ever want to go back. Most people are removing their paper not putting paper up. Many houses have dated paneling and don't look this nice around the fire place. I still think the middle area would look good grey to match the grey around the opening of the fire place. It would look like a visible chimney. I do like lofts/ industrial looks so this appeals more to me than some people. Show her pictures of red brick walls in loft studios and what they are doing with colors on the interior walls and she can get ideas of what color she wants. This probably sounds odd to you but I l like the dirty spot on the bricks. I wish some pros would weigh in.
    ...See More

need help with living room decor

Q

Comments (1)
    honestly we really need to see the whole room! and you need to take all things out and start from scratch.
    ...See More

Need help with TV placement and decor ideas for compact living room

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the only place you could put a tv is probably the corner by the window...over the fireplace is probably too high. a walnut floor and new fresher paint colour would be lovely, would you consider painting the skirting boards and fireplace white or off white to modernise them a bit? we've painted the skirting in our living room (also a walnut floor) and it looks so much better than before. (Have yet to get around to the rest of the house!!)
    ...See More

help me find a nice colour to decorate my attic and ensuite in it

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi there! Have you had any progress with this? What colour are the walls currently and what kind of colour are you after - bold, brighter colours or more neutral tones?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Kole Digital
    9 years ago

If you are in the Chicagoland area.. why not have us install a television with a motorized piece of art over it? Make the space functional and stylish!

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

reduce the watts of the sconces by 1/3-1/2, maybe even get brass or copper instead. paint the back wall a caramel color for accent. your new canvas gives you a lot more options. oh, the paintings ? with respect to the artist, they belong on that wall.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

lets start with the lighting. they are so bright it's distracting. can we see the sconces unlit? right away i would lower the wattage of those bulbs. or install a dimmer.

paint the mantel white or off white. the first art is best. it would be best to stay a little modern here. with the feel of the counter to the left, the black hearth, and the chrome lights.

• Geneviève
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

La Boheme, Musica di Puccini by Adolfo Hohenstein · More Info

I don't know about the rest of you but those scones are not working for that area ,I would have someone move them on the wall of the fireplace just like the picture that Kole posted and use different light bulbs for them, there seem to be too much of a glare then add a picture with a bit of drama to it .

• Sandra L
    9 years ago

Of the choices, I like the second picture best. Personally I feel that a decorative mirror would brighten up the area best, horizontal. If it had some simple more curvy design it may add some softness to the hard edged, dark fireplace. Good luck.

• calidesign
    9 years ago

The rectangular shape (second option) is best. But I think a dark framed mirror would be better, and would lighten the space if you want to give that consideration. Add a tall green plant on one side of the mantle, and a pair of dark candlesticks on the other. I would keep the wall color, as I believe an accent wall would be dark and choppy.

• tedblu730
    9 years ago
    The wall needs to be brightened with color accents that will not only make the wall pop but will make the space appear larger.
  • lake1114
    9 years ago

I agree that an accent color would spruce things up and I agree with those who like a more horizontal piece of art. I also think that you really need something tall and colorful on the hearth to the left side of the firebox is what you really need. It will help to visually proportion the asymmetrical stone while actually defining and enhancing the the beauty of it. It will become more of a focal point and less of a huge black spot on the on a dull wall.

• source21
    9 years ago
    It looks very stark. I agree with those who recommend painting the wall an accent color since you do not wish to paint the fireplace. I also agree that some items should be placed on the mantle in order to add interest and soften the effect of the fireplace.
  • source21
    9 years ago
    Perhaps something, like a tall vase, could even be added to the floor in front of or next to the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Lyons Design
    9 years ago

The area is lacking some reflection. Due to the tiled area being so dark it is creating a void in the space. Since you don't want to paint the tile or have a mirror then some simple but elegant glass tilling on the wall section would be another option. A soft grey Moroccan style would be lovely in your space. Edge-band it with a dark grey or back to complement with your current fire place tile. You then can still add a small rectangle piece of art with some other simple accents- chrome candle holders/sticks, clear glass Vase with succulents for living art and or a favorite abstract statue/object.

Happy Decorating by Lyons Design.

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago

I like the idea of painting the 3 walls that touch the fireplace. From there I would select 1 large piece that fills the space completely or...2 pieces that are of portrait orientation.

I hope this helps.

Also I have an edesign package that offer complete furniture selections at wholesale pricing. If I pay $2000 for a bed...you pay $2000...no mark ups.

Feel free to contact me timothyriversinteriors@gmail.com

• PRO
    Design Ark Inc
    9 years ago

I would raise it all the way to the ceiling. Usually corner fireplaces like this, in spaces that don't have much height, feel like they are trapped...at list that is my perception... :O) therefore I often bring the height all the way up so it creates an illusion of a taller space. Here is the fireplace we designed with the same idea.

Fireplace rewamp · More Info

• happyleg
    9 years ago

Add bling or shiny. Pillows, drapes,rug.

• Kattie Tindal
    9 years ago

I personally like the old windows on mantles, add some green plants, some candle holders with white candles and maybe some string lighting

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

Silva9006 my bad in regard to the picture on the mantle, I meant it doesn't belong there.

• PRO
    Venetian Plaster/Modern Art Decor
    9 years ago
    I'm doing a fireplace now that was stone and concrete from the 90's. Now it's a beautiful marble Venetian plaster
  • chrissiekirk
    9 years ago

I think the wall going right up from the fireplace should be continued in black...that would give it height and drama. It is a good starting point and then really the sky is the limit as to how you place artwork and accent pieces. Can you replace the fireplace screen? If so, how about silver to go with the base of the sconces (and add 3 different size candlesticks with candles in the perfect accent color)...that is what they look like but it is somewhat hard to tell with them being so extremely bright! Can you put a lower wattage, soft white bulb in them? I hope once you are finished and happy with how it turns out, you will post photos for us all to see. Good luck!

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

The sconces are not giving you the lighting you need. I think a dark color as suggested several times on the wall completely above the mantle. I think the main problem with this dilemma is lighting or lack thereof. You can put an abstract painting that fills the whole above the fireplace area. Install a spotlight which you can adjust in the ceiling. Add the three tall candlesticks on one side & a large pot on the floor on the other side with curly willow branches in it.

• PRO
    Venetian Plaster/Modern Art Decor
    9 years ago
    Sometimes it's not what you add on, it how you treat what the main focal point. Which was the fireplace ;)
  • chuckhellar
    9 years ago

I would change the firebox to stainless steel for a brighter look. You could change the lampshades of the sconces to a pattern pulling out the red color of the painting. Are the sconces on either side stainless steel? If that all works stand back and see what else you may need on the mantle.

• lilyanddaisy
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately when I looked at all three of your photos I didn't even notice the different art options since all I saw was a BIG BLACK SPOT: your fireplace. Especially with the very, very bright wall lights, it's impossible to see any type of delineation in the fireplace itself. All I saw was the big black!

I understand it is tile and that you you cannot paint it. Is there nothing in there that cannot be painted at all, in any color? Perhaps between the tile and the interior of the fireplace, a strip of something? Maybe replace a thin strip of the tile right between the outer part of the fireplace and the inner part. If not, do as another houzzer suggested and add dimension by putting in light birch logs year round, or some other "light" idea. Or I've seen neat things done with candles. Also why not get a lighter brighter fire screen? Anything at all to break up the black!

Personally I don't think painting the wall is going to help. There is enough contrast between the wall and the fireplace, you just need to develop some contrast to the fireplace itself.

This reminds me of a kitchen I replaced where I wanted ALL WHITE and boy did I get it! No contrast at all and sadly it was not great. I learned for next time to layer for dimension in the same color family.

Good luck!
  • lenkoskitalo
    9 years ago

Do something about those wall sconces while you're at it to soften the light .. like putting them on a dimmer.

• User
    9 years ago

I think the fireplace is just too dark, I can't make out many details. But if you can't change the fireplace I think changing the wall color or lighting would help. Adding some decorations to the mantle would help it not look so stark. Some candlesticks, a plant and maybe a framed photo or some twinkle lights. Lights would be really pretty and add some more light to this dark corner. Just experiment some more and good luck!

• gwenda
    9 years ago
    Some chrome accents around the fireplace would help. Andirons, fire screen, and leather and chrome firewood sling.. Break up all that black with a little bling..
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago

I would get a warmer tone of bulb for those sconces. Looks like floodlights!

• TT
    9 years ago
    I like the fireplace. It is dark but embrace it. I think the walls and molding don't match that dramatic tile. As far as pics...I think you need a chunkier frame. If hung, I like the second one. If you lean the picture against the wall, the first one is nice. The first one looks a bit cramped for space when hung. I also think you need some layering. If you hang the pic then lean a second skinnier picture . Or play with heights....tall skinny candle sticks. I wouldn't worry about symmetry but try to replicate heights. Find a mantel you like on line and replicate the shape w thing you love. It may have a tall plant and you don't prefer plants but have a vase of your grandmas that is a similar height/shape. You will get the same look but the items will reflect your personality. I have expensive art next to framed matted doodles my niece did that were interesting. The items make me happy and that shows.
  • MaryLou Wu
    9 years ago

A rug in front of the hearth. Pick up one of the minor colors from the painting.

• PRO
    Red Fox Design
    9 years ago

I did write a comment but I lost it in the posting process. It's past my bedtime. Patty F, Red Fox Design

• PRO
    Holly Anderson Fine Art
    9 years ago

definitely art #1 or something brighter like these :

Black and White Abstract Paintings inspired by the works of artist Franz Kline · More Info

Abstract Black and White Art by Holly Anderson "SIMPLE ELEGANCE" · More Info

Original Oil Painting, black and white by Holly Anderson Artist GRANDEUR · More Info

Vivid Abstract Painting Original or Prints available KALEIDOSCOPIC · More Info

elegant black and white abstract painting or print "Ebullience" Holly Anderson · More Info

• bananamamma
    9 years ago

Read most of the posts, sleep well Patty :-) amateur here, but what about wainscotting the entire wall and putting in some led lights in ceiling above the mantle? if you're going for a cozier feel, I agree with so many, ditch the sconces, they're harsh. Yup, wainscotting all three walls....would tie it all together OR accent the two side walls in darker grey and wainscott just the fireplace wall comme ca :

The Sandberg Home · More Info

ps: notice the size of the art above fireplace? of course your fp would have to be to scale for your space....

• PRO
    Brenda McMahon Ceramics
    9 years ago

Another option for fireplace mantle settings is something dimensional with texture and layers for depth of field. Here are two samples who have used Sculptural Wall Art Tile. I create a series of black and white tile that could be the perfect abstract balance to the fireplace...and the reflection of the flame on the tile relates nicely to the setting... here's one sample (hangs as a vertical or horizontal) and some install examples:

• clemenza2
    9 years ago

The area over the fireplace is not symmetrical, so I don't think you should treat it that way......try placing something tall on the right side of the mantel, to draw your eye away from the fact that there is more space on the left. I think that might balance things visually.

Maybe you should consider wallpaper or stenciling over the mantel. Nothing too dark or heavy, something along the lines of a trellis or some other geometric pattern, mostly white with a charcoal print. Again I think it might distract the eye from the imbalance. And I think I'd replace the sconces with something a bit larger and darker.....the fireplace is a pretty predominant size for that wall and the small sconces only make it look larger. It's always nice to have a fireplace, I hope you come up with a plan that makes you happy.

• lidad
    9 years ago
    Lighting up the fireplace frame and put a mirror over in silver frame
  • colournut
    9 years ago
    I would consider, instead of a framed print, something more 3-dimensional and weighty to draw the eye to the right to offset the balance currently to the left. Perhaps an urn/vase with branches or something unusual/unexpected. Good luck ... it will be fun trying different ideas.
  • colournut
    9 years ago
    Such as this but more weight ... Mirrored vase? Black branches? Silver balls? A pop of colour? Credit: Centsational Girl
  • enjb01
    9 years ago

Hello, All the artworks are nice but not all of them relate well to the space above the fireplace. I agree that space needs to be a darker value color to transition between the lighter walls and very dark fireplace. I would use an arrangement of artwork and decorative items on the mantle. I would use a rectangular artwork more of the size of the 1st picture because of the proportions and vertical orientation. Add a mix of smaller horizontal and vertical elements as you move to the right side of the mantle and have them overlap each other. The earlier suggestion of a basket (it should have some height to it but shorter than the cabinet) filled with wood to the left to help transition from the fireplace to the bar/cabinet area would help. Declutter that bar surface and put up stacked shelves that span its opening over it to store either functional or decorative items. The mirror isn't working as its shape does not relate to the space. Finding the right space for things you already have is key to the design working. Think out of the box when considering where and how they can be used. The opening to the right of the is also competing visually with the other features. Consider hanging drapery panels that reach to the floor on either side of the opening to soften the transition and make it a bit less dominant. Good luck.

• PRO
    Carol Rogers
    9 years ago

Could you get a nickel fireplace screen to break up the mass of black? Other fireplace accessories could help break up the massive fireplace, as well. I prefer the horizontal second art option. Add some other mantle elements, too. Hard to tell from a photo, but in your photos, the sconces do come off with a lot of glare.

• tshaffer
    9 years ago

I would do a large twig wreath (maybe glue a red cardinal inside) and change the light fixtures on the wall. something more decorative.

• PRO
    Bright Development
    9 years ago

As far as the three paintings go, the first one would work best with tying in colors to the fireplace. Paintings two and three have no connection to the 'strength' of that very black, and very large, fireplace. I would actually go in a different direction and use a horizontal image, framed out in black tones, that features some sort of waterscape in taupe shades from a setting sun. I would also paint that angled wall in a taupe shade to match the painting and then go with darker light fixtures with a much lower wattage. Personal effects on the mantel will make the space feel more inviting but avoid light, stark colors--they will only make the fireplace look that much larger.

• Barbara Hagan Widener
    9 years ago
    If it was my fireplace, looking at things around it...it's too dark and looks out of place. Everything is light around it. I would paint it the same color as the wall in a satin paint and hang a larger picture above the fireplace!
  • jeandemars
    9 years ago

Put some greenery/plant on the top of the fireplace.

• Marian Binder
    9 years ago

I agree. Start with some simple fixes; see if they work. If not, then look into more permanent changes.

• mmatlou
    9 years ago

Make the fireplace your focal point-put some interesting colourful vases on it that will go with the painting and use some bright paint on that wall-seeing you cant use wallpaper to brighten the wall.Consider changing the lights in that room

• PRO
    Mystaya's Inspirations
    9 years ago

I would select the 2nd painting because it's scale & shape works best within the space above your f/p, however it seems to appear floating so paint your wall with an accent color selected from that artwork that compliments your space best. If you could find something similar encased in a black frame & a white matting,that would be best but still paint the wall introducing a color that works best chosen from your selected art work. PLUS, fill the empty mantel balanced with a few accessories so it doesn't look so bare (3 - 5 pieces is safe)...To soften & add warmth to the black f/p & to add a bit more dimension & interest introduce some accessories on the hearth eg. combine a tall & a medium vase with twigs on one end & perhaps a medium sized basket/container, chunky candle holders on the other end. Just make sure the proportions are balanced and the materials and color pull from the painting and your surroundings. Change your wall sconces to a more weighty appearance so it balances with your heavy black f/p; you can do this with the use of a darker finish, glass shades, size....Good luck

• myhouseceo
    9 years ago

Add woodwork above the mantle and paint it the same color as your trim in the room. This will provide a dimensional backdrop to feature your artwork.

• silva9006
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Still work in progress.
  • PRO
    Carol Rogers
    9 years ago

Yea You! You can use the table runner to add more dominant/bold color to balance the black and to change seasons and moods. It reminds me of winter snow right now. Classy.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.