janeannperry

Thermofoil white cabinets? What do you think?

apple tree
11 years ago
With our large family, and our small kitchen, we are thinking white thermofoil cabinets. What do you think? Any ideas for a white countertop in a Radianz, Cambria or Silestone?

Comments (371)

• abstract101
    6 years ago

I'm seriously considering Thermafoil cabinet doors/panels to replace my 25 yr. old Neff lacquer ones. I hope the foils are more durable although the Neff lacquer is still beautiful but has some wear/tear around the baseboards and scratched easily. I'm in the process of getting quotes. Home Depot/Lowes would have to replace the boxes to get the doors/panels to fit just right like my Euro-styled originals. It's a learning curve with respect to cabinet door replacement.

Heads up - I've experienced replacement thermafoil doors that had got be removed immediately due to poor measurements on my existing boxes. If you have traditional cabinetry with borders, etc., I'm sure you're safe but if you've got Euro, slab, doors without any trim/borders be very cautious.

• danielssheeran
    6 years ago

Hey guys, I want to paint my new white linen thermofoil cabinets. Any suggestions?

• Related Discussions

Need help to dress up my dining room,am thinking of cream panelling,ra

Q

Comments (33)
    If you want custom cream panelling built from scratch, it is likely to take you more than three weeks to line up a contractor, get it built and then painted. If you want to use beadboard (thin, lightweight, cheap) you can do it yourself if you are good at the small precision cuts around the wood window trim and behind the radiators. You can get a custom built wood cover with doors for your tv or use the painting over tv disguise made with hinges. I think the room is beautiful as it is. Spend some money on a truly beautiful, impressive chandelier, have it centered over the table. If you want to impress relatives at an event, the chandelier is the way to go. Clean the windows for extra sparkle. If you are in the US, try Home Decorators http://www.homedecorators.com for DVD storage cabinets that are closed. I would not get a rug for this room unless I was ready to get it cleaned frequently and I could find one that looked good with dog hair on it and did not show stains. A good quality, highly patterned wool Oriental rug will do that job nicely. Such a rug is an investment and may take longer than three weeks to find.
    ...See More

Thinking of painting a shaker kitchen grey ! Splash back granite black

Q

Comments (1)
    You could do gray if you change the walls to a white Bm simply white for walls Bm decorators white for ceilings and trim gray inspiration in pic below, if you have an island do it a deeper tone of gray than all other cabinets to ground the island to the room
    ...See More

What should we do with this fireplace?

Q

Comments (9)
    That's a working fireplace isn't it? I agree that the fire surround is probably not in keeping with your tastes and would probably look perfectly at home in a rustic country cottage, but just not for you. There are several options open to you, and if your a bit handy with the DIY, none of them need to cost much, it's just a little hard work. Remove the fire surround and see what dimensions you have with the actual fireplace, it might be that you can also remove the iron plate around it, thus leaving you with a much smaller actual fire. However, be aware that it will affect, the plaster, the skirting and the hearth, as everything is currently built to home the fire surround. You could go............at that point for making good the walls and keep it simple by having a floating shelf only, or another fire surround that's simpler. Loads on Ebay! Just make sure they're suitable for a working fire!
    ...See More

what can i do for this corner as seen from kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    Very difficult to see clearly, a lot of clutter in the way, if you are doing this job yourself then measure the area(s), look up up how to measure your garden advice online, measure your walls, measure what you will retain such as the shed. Get an A3 tracing paper book, sheets of A 3 white paper, eraser, pencils ruler etc. If the A3 white paper needs to be increased, tape 2 sheets together. Draw the plan to scale 1cm to the metre for example. Put in existing paths, steps services, north. Now you have a very basic plan. What kind of garden do you want? How would you divide it up to suit your needs. Do you a patio for table /chairs? Do you want to grow some veg/fruit in raised beds. Or do you want a lawn only with borders and shrubs, place your tracing paper over your plan and draw your desires on that, do as many tracings as you want, until you are satisfied with the results. Use coloured pencils. The walls need uniformity of colour, the shed could do with reprinting...start researching materials, gardening books, magazines, online for ideas that appeal to you and suit your plot. Do you have a budget in mind? If you are not engaging a landscape designer to do a complete plan for you then perhaps a consultation would be a good idea, once you have got the bones of what you want together. In the process of tackling your garden plan you will learn a lot and hopefully gain much satisfaction.
    ...See More
  • Nina Davidson
    6 years ago

I'm thinking of using thermofoil resurfacing on a rental property bathroom vanity. Comments?? Was formica originally and some warping etc. Contractor will replace doors and drawers and resurface base. What do you think?

• Cherylan Franke
    6 years ago

I like thermofoil as factory applied but no experience as contractor applied.

• katiemac1956
    6 years ago

Found this picture of what I want (I want in white). There was no description of what they are made of. Is this Thermofoil? Thanks!!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It could be Thermofoil, or it could be multi-layered paint finish they usually done with a high gloss finish that resists scratches, chemicals, etc which is better than Thermofoil, or it could also be Lacquered High Gloss MDF, and the price, of course, goes with it.

• Alison Harbour
    6 years ago

Purchased Kraft Maid Foiled cabinets in white in 2004. We used ply wood instead of the press board and are remodeling our kitchen in 2018. We plan to keep our original cabinet and add new doors because I want the Nordic bead board look. Kraft Maid had all our original information from 2004. WOW. I am so impressed with this company. Our original cabinets are 14 years old and they look brand new. Completely maintenance free for many years. They gave us a touch up kit and we never used it. Highly recommend these cabinets with ply wood construction and Kraft Maid!

• katiemac1956
    6 years ago

Could you possibly post some pics?

• katiemac1956
    6 years ago

I found them. Diamond Cabinets. They sent me a sample of the white laminate with metal edges. The sample is gorgeous.

• Corinne
    6 years ago

Debating about EUROSTYLE white thermofoil or painted wood from Home Depot. After reading all these posts still don’t know which one is better.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago

Corinne....We just got our second set of white cabinets from Kraftmaid...(2 homes)...this time we purchased the white Belair....love them! For us...we are on the water in Florida, so thermofoil is better....last ones were thermofoil also...just wash them down with soap and water....LOVE!

• Jerry Thompson
    6 years ago
    These are practical, money saving, & easy clean-up. We have them in 3 baths and a kitchen in Fla. The is one major FLAW.
    If you put your toaster on the counter under the cupboard and don’t pull it forward fully to toast your bread - where the rising heat hits, the foil covering will bubble,split, warp and peel off.
    No way to repair them. Must replace.
    We have a rental condo, so visitors didn’t realize this weakness and unintentionally ruined 3 doors.
    I bullied our manufacturer into sending us three new replacement cupboard doors. But be warned and treat with are.
  • Cherylan Franke
    6 years ago

We were asked to comment re our 2013 year install. We Sold that house! Thermofoil off the shelf cabinets were a great budget saver so we were able to put wood floors all over the house. My impression is that the thermofoil supplier has solved a lot of the problems associated with cabinets installed 10 years ago and more. To satisfy your concerns, I would by a door or thermofoil finished trim piece and put it thru the paces.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    6 years ago

Thermofoil doors (around here we just call them Thermals) are excellent. As a manufacturer of custom bathroom cabinets we find they are the best choice for a moist environment. Painted wood products do not stand up to the high humidity of the bathroom environment and often look shoddy after just a few years. Many of the issues often associated with thermofoil products are from the early years. The product is prone to heat damage such as described earlier, but this can be addressed by good design and understanding. We often put a metal or poly-carbonate edge to prevent this. Also, the picture shows a door that was poorly made. There was not nearly enough adhesive used under the finish. Normally this type of heat damage is confined to the edge of the door only.

• User
    5 years ago

I am thinking of using Thermofoil (by Merrilat) for a large cabinet in a bedroom (dry climate). It would be for storage, mimicking a cabinet I saw in Europe - which is probably from IKEA (see below ,but I have not been able to find the center section of cabinets/drawers). I also believe Thermofoil is a bit sturdier than IKEA's methodology which uses particle board instead of Thermofoil's fiberboard or engineered wood. Do you think Thermofoil would be a reasonable choice for my purposes? I am open to suggestions. Thank you.

• rebecca_adia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

10bac10, I just inherited white kitchen Thermofoil cabs, by Marsh, in a home purchase. While I don’t love the idea of it ( I generally adore natural materials) I honestly don’t think they look bad for 20 yr old cabs. I am replacing the hardware for a style update — but no plans to change the cabinets probably anytime in the next decade if they continue to hold up this well.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

Well made thermofoil doors are excellent. I have some in my home installed in 1995 that still look like new.

• User
    5 years ago

Maybe it has to do with the manufacturer. The brand suggested to me is Merillat and they get less than stellar reviews. Thank you for the replies.

• jderden
    5 years ago

Whew... it has taken me hours to read through all these posts! We currently have American Woodmark white thermofoil kitchen cabinets that were installed 19.5 years ago. No yellowing, peeling or chipping. I don't know if there was a heat shield installed but we do have a 1.5 inch filler strip between the cabinets and the stove. I have loved these for ease of cleaning and NO CRACKING. We have some built-ins in a bedroom that were made and installed by a local craftsman -- solid wood, raised panel door fronts that were painted white and within a year all the seams cracked and pulled apart. They looked awful.

We are selling our current home and building a much smaller, one level retirement home. I'm 62 and am thinking I want low maintenance for my last kitchen.

I've read from the comments above that thermofoil has improved over the last 15 or so years, which is great (although as I've already said, we have been completely pleased with our nearly 20 year old cabinets). My question is who makes the highest quality of thermofoil now. I'm looking for a shaker style cabinet in white. Thanks for any recommendations.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

A regional supplier who sells to local cabinet shops will likely produce a superior product. Corporate box stores will generally have an inferior product in my experience as most of their sales are price driven. I would contact a well known local cabinet shop and just ask.

• abstract101
    5 years ago

If you find a good manufacturer of thermofoil please yell out. I tried Home Depot and the nail head shape imprints show through the foil and since I only wanted new door fronts and not boxes they couldn't measure correctly to size the doors. They guarantee their work so it ended well. Lowe's has Kraft or Kraftmaid thermofoil, or did. I think Ikeas cabinetry looks good but make sure you have it professionally installed by company familiar with Ikea. Limited colors in the slab, clean, modern, style, but I'm sure they have white.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

We are dealers for a local company here in Eastern Ontario Canada. If you are in upstate NY or Vermont that may be an easy option. The product we sell is amazing.

• jderden
    5 years ago

I'm in southwest VA, so not too close to Canada. What is your product?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

<<<following

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

The product that we distribute is from a company called Sawmill Oak. They are on the web. The link is....

Sawmill Oak

The link to our site is

Tego Bathroom Solutions

If you would like to order some product just contact us.

• abstract101
    5 years ago

Any other Thermofoil cos anyone is familiar with on the west coast (Nevada)?

Thanks.

• abstract101
    5 years ago

Thanks for info, Tego. I will check it out.

• PRO
    NEI Corp
    5 years ago

I am a design/quality snob. That said, I am a Thermofoil believer. The sleek design, ease of cleaning, scratch & damage resistance that you get with a high quality Thermofoil is far superior to a wood cabinet door. I have no interest in cabinetry manufacturing or distribution, only many years of living in high end residences with both wood and high quality Thermofoil. The Thermofoil wins hands down.

• abstract101
    5 years ago

I appreciate your comment, NEI. I'm a modern snob and will only have high lacquer or Thermofoil. I'm flipping all my Euro lacquer cabinetry out for Thermofoil. Love the lacquer but I think Thermofoil will be more durable. Lacquer scratches -- like automobile but so beautiful.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

Lacquer and Thermofoil really are both polymer finishes. The lacquer is sprayed on and the thermofoil is glued on. The thermofoil has a much greater mil thickness and is more flexible and more durable. Nothing can match the depth of shine or the ability to custom mix lacquer finishes however I too will pick thermofoil hands down over lacquer.

• abstract101
    5 years ago

You're so right about the shine/gloss look of lacquer but I appreciate your info/knowledge of thermofoil. Wish your company was here! I'd order through them but I'll need pro to do measurements/installation.

I know there's an excellent rated store that works with IKEA products (and do extra colors) but they don't work in NV. It's tough finding the right company here -- good ones are so overwhelmed with building contractors.

• Jerry Thompson
    5 years ago
    Thermofoil is fine. Inexpensive, looks good, keeps its color, and makes a great refurb. BUT know it can be fragile and protect it accordingly.
    A toaster on the counter underneath it will split seams, crack, warp and destroy a door’s Thermofoil covering very easily. It’s not built to take such frequent heated appliance uses.
    This happened in corner in our kitchen to 3 doors. With some persuasion the company sent me replacement doors, after basically admitting the material can’t stand up to the heat.
    Our faith in the material is unshaken and it helped a lot that ultimately the manufacturer was honest and backed his product.
    We have since redone our three bathrooms with Thermofoil to match the kitchen cabinets and are extremely pleased. We are about to do the same with our downstairs kitchen.
    So - just know the strengths and weaknesses.
  • abstract101
    5 years ago

Thank you for the info - I've read there's issues with Thermofoil around ovens, also - probably where the cabinets are above/below oven(s). Guess I'll never use the toaster or oven, again/lol! That's a problem but as long as those damaged areas can be replaced - even at owner's expense. I had no customer service to replace damaged/scratched, broken baseboard of my lacquer doors -- and it's a very high rated company/solid quality/construction wise (over-priced) but few lacquer companies were around when I purchased them -- not good! They're still very good quality in their field and beautiful workmanship. Scratch too easy. Everything has it's negatives but the price difference (huge) and replaceability factor is a plus for the Thermofoils.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Foil will foil.

Google how to fix foil cabinets & look at the photos. It's a future nightmare.

Sure they look nice in begininng,but when they begin to age & peel, or get wet, they're a goner.

Foil hides inferior material, like particle board. What's under that foil. What are they hiding...

Still not convinced, buy 1 cabinet. test it's durability. cut in half, peel it off, screw into the boxes, drawer, put water on it. look at how it's assembled. High chance it's total junk.

It's often manfactured junk that will not last long. It's shameful the industry sells this inferior product to innocent people who don't know just how bad it is.

I would not, especially if investing in a nice countertop.

I never use foil.

Get a material that will last like plywoodbox construction boxes, factory painted mdf doors or painted stain wood doors.

• abstract101
    5 years ago

Gotcha! Thanks for the share. Has Thermofoil improved the last decade - I've heard it has but don't know if that's a fact. There's conflicting opinions but you clearly have some experience/evidence. Some people don't even like mdf (wood lovers/traditional homes/etc., -- I get it) but modern, high end, Euro/lacquer, cabinets, are constructed with it and it's a solid material -- I've not had one door or drawer fall apart in almost 30 yrs! Many man-made products are good and expensive.

Again - thanks for the photos and your experience/info.

• Teresa
    5 years ago

Wow. Shopping for kitchen cabinets and trying to make a wise decision is difficult. My oak cabinets from 1985 look ok but the shelves are warped. I’ve admired my fiancé‘s cabinets for years. They are made by Yorktowne. They are so easy to clean and look brand new. He lives in a large house that was built in 1998. The cabinets are white themofoil. no evident peeling or yellowing. There are opinions here that are all across the spectrum. It’s so confusing. Does anyone have the name of a good cabinet company in Maryland? Can you guide me to a quality cabinet maker? I like white in color. Door style is uncertain. I may sell in 5-10 years. Thank you.

• Teresa
    5 years ago

I’m on the fence with thermofoil cabinets. The reviews here are so mixed. I’m going to replace my oak cabinets that are 33 years old. My fiancé’s cabinets are 20 years old made by Yorktowne. They are thermofoil. No yelowing or peeling. They’re beautiful. I’m trying to make a wise decision as I might sell my house in 5-10 years. Any suggestions for cabine manufactures? I live in Maryland And hear horror stories about junk from China. Thank you

• Rocmac
    5 years ago

WOW, this thread is still going on. I comment back in July 2013, at the time I was renovating our kitchen had the same concerns and confusion. I went with white wood cabinets and have no regrets,. At that time I said very little cooking would be done, oven would be on long enough to cook salmon or steak. Well now the oven is on even less, my husband passed 2 years ago, still no grandchild to put their nasty hands on them (which I would love). As I said in 2013 if I get 15, 20 years out of them, I'm great. After that it will be my daughters issue. I'm 68 and won't be doing anymore kitchen remodeling so I got what I wanted.

This is a personal decision that shoukd be made based on how your home runs, life style, the look you are seeking and of course finance. There is no good or bad decision only what's good or bad for your home. Just be well inform Before making that decision.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

Many people commenting here think all thermal-foil products are created equally. Just like everything else, the company behind the product makes all the difference. Poor quality substrates and skimping on glue will result in less then ideal finishes that peel over time. These doors generally require a bit of hand sanding before putting on the vinyl to get a high quality finish that you will not find on the cheaper products. Any of the better producers will stand behind their product. You get exactly what you pay for. Here at Tego Bathroom Solutions in Ottawa Ontario we have been awarded first place design awards on bathroom cabinets that have thermal foil doors.

http://www.tego.ca/bathroom-twentysix/

• HU-73591374
    5 years ago

I have read through this whole post looking for someone with experience with Semihandmade’s supermatte thermofoil - is anyone out there that can speak to its durability to heat/steam, etc? Marketing wants me to think it’s a new better product that the thermofoil of yesteryear.

• PRO
    Tego Bathroom Solutions
    5 years ago

Kathy,

" Semihandmade’s supermatte thermofoil " is likely just a local company's trade term for a vinyl that is generally available to the industry. We offer a number of matte finish vinyls from about 4 different regional manufacturers in our area. The vinyl that is used is sourced from international sources and is to the best of my knowledge available to any producer that cares to carry it. Matte vinyls require a care preparation of the substrate to produce the best results from what I have been told.

Mike

• Sande Cripps
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t. We’ve only been in our house a few years. Brand new cabinets are starting to shrink and peel in both bathroom and kitchen.

• Nora Drake
    4 years ago

Does anyone know why the Thermafoil cabinets offered by our builder have a pebbly orange peel finish?

• abstract101
    4 years ago

Sounds like they're a textured finish and not the smooth? I'm not familiar with those but you might be able to call a Termafoil cabinet co. and get information. I hope you share any info you receive. I'm replacing cabinet doors that were Thermafoil (black) and the finish looks good - they were installed 4 yrs. ago but I never planned on keeping because they didn't cut the doors the right size. Issue because I didn't want new boxes but preferred the old ones and not a good idea -- with Home Depot, anyway. The Thermafoil is good.

• Sue Hofbauer
    4 years ago

We purchased a home in Florida, built in 1997. It has Ivory Thermofoil cabinets made by Merillat. This home was being rented and needed a lot of TLC. The cabinets are in remarkable shape. We had a few tiny dings in the doors that we fixed with caulk. Really don’t see them anymore. We changed out the old knobs and they look like new cabinets. We have room in the kitchen on an empty wall to build some more cabinets and we are going to go with a pale gray green thermofoil from a local cabinet company. I had painted while cabinets in my last home and they just do not hold up.

• larkspurproject
    4 years ago

I realize that this thread is 7 years old and the OP hasn't commented but thought I would jump in due to recent changes to our thermafoil kitchen cabinets. Maybe our experience will help with those on the fence about purchasing thermafoil cabinets. We purchased our condo in 2003 and the cabinetry was thermafoil in the kitchen and both baths. They looked great brand new! For several years there were only 2-3 visits per year, each visit a long weekend or a week with minimal cooking. Fast forward, the condo has been a rental for several years getting heavy use. The bottom portion of the doors are now buckled and have pulled away from the frames on 6 of the upper doors. We've also noticed that on the bottom of the base doors there is buckling as well. We have not seen any changes in the cabinetry in either bathroom. This past week we have had to have the upper doors sanded and re-hung inverted to hide the repaired edge. I had never heard of thermafoil prior to purchasing the condo and it looked good, so we were fine with a man made product vs solid wood. After everything is said and done, when we remodel the rental kitchen I would purchase again but not in a wood tone. I'm thinking of replacing the current cabinetry with white shaker cabinets/doors in thermafoil. I'm happy to learn that the product has improved over the years and look forward to finding the right company to work with. Good luck to everyone else out there who is also looking to update their cabinetry. :)

• Joni Stack-Stoneburner
    2 years ago

I truly dislike the Thermofoil cabinets in our home -the peeling is ridiculous same issue for my neighbor with hers, by the dishwasher, by the stove, invest in "good cabinets" not these sad little critters that peel like they have had a sunburn.

• chairperson
    2 years ago

My thermofoil cabinets are 7 years old and counting. Manufactured by KitchenMade (in Canada, I think). They've been great. No peeling anywhere, and they are up against both a stove/oven and a dishwasher. They are a dream to keep looking clean and fresh. I'm grateful to have purchased them. I think it must depend on who made your cabinets.

• chairperson
    2 years ago

As it turns out, my cabinets were made by "Kitchen Craft." Sorry I didn't check this sooner. But they have been fine. Easy to maintain and still in perfect condition. I've used the kitchen a great deal more since the Pandemic began (much less eating out or bringing prepared food in). I'm very pleased that I had these installed when I redid my kitchen about 7 1/2 years ago.

• PRO
    Barbara Purdy - Purdy & Associates Design
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Bottom line with thermoplastic... I would never recommend them for a rental as you can't control how they are being cared for as everyone uses their kitchen differently. Steaming kettles under cabinets, cabinets beside the stove, both uppers and base cabinets are most prone to damage. Some kitchens see light use...others see heavy use, some people are very clean, others not so much. These are not made for heavy use. The challenge comes when you need to replace a door. Many thermofoil colours are discontinued after a time,...or the white has yellowed and the new door no longer matches.. These are the types of challenges that can occur. I have seen many people leave disappointed when they can't get a replacement that matches. Having said this, the yellowing issue has gotten better with newer thermos improved UV protection, and I certainly would not hesitate using it for a bathroom or built-in.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.