maryobkeogh

Dislike my Bathroom

maryobkeogh
Hi Our bathroom is an awkward shape, really high ceiling and the way the sanitary ware is laid out, means the rest of the space isn't usable for anything. It really doesn't look very good, I'd love some suggestions!
Thanks!

• pollyannagal
    The white cabinet next to the bath is too tall there and crowds the window - can you swap it with with the smaller brown one? There seems to be a conflict of styles going on with the feminine white cabinet and the masculine brown one. Best to decide on one style and stick to it in a small room. What's behind the cupboard doors - do you really need two cabinets or can you put some of your towels in the cupboard?

Depending on your budget, maybe you could change the basin for a vanity unit with inset basin and storage under as this would make much better use of the space. Not a major job but would make a major difference to the room. I would also put a pair of shallow wall shelves or a couple of pictures either side of the window as this wall is quite symmetrical.

The dark brown walls will emphasise the high ceilings so I would go for a lighter colour.
    Dytecture
    I agree there are too many free standing storage units in the bathroom. Besides lighting up the walls, consider hanging some pictures art on the wall as well.
  • Related Discussions

What lights would suit my bathroom

Q

hello there. How about two wall sconces, one on either side of the mirror, and a roof light in the centre. I can't help with particular ones/ where to source them, but I think in this space, something rounded or square will work. You can also consider a light at the shower
    ...See More

Compact Bathroom Design Help

Q

It small But your cabin sink unit is a good idea as you have storage space and it looks neat. I have changed my bath many times to shower unit and it has leaked every time, some times it has been the plumbers fault or bad design then it was a visitor who let the water spill while showering the last time it flooded the insurers wanted the bathroom TANKED! meaning waterproof walls and floors. This is done by an experienced plumber contractor of repute! as the insurers said too many claims from too many people with bad waterproofing. the insurer said they would not insure again or any other clients who had not got their bathroom water proofed by expert plumber fitters. SO I have gone back to the Bath with a shower enclosed and found it tops for waterproof.
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity unit too small for space

Q

If it was me, I would centre it and only silicone the back. I understand your concerns about water going down the side. Realistically, though, as you will only be washing your hands and maybe teeth in it, there is unlikely to be much water gushing about. To detract from the fact there is not as much space on either side of sink, I would have carpenter either wall mount or put legs on the cabinet so there is space underneath and the unit doesn't look too chunky!
    ...See More

need help for my kitchen design, and bathroom.

Q

would like a pantry american fridge, large kitchen, table and chairs, 3 piece suite tv, windows overlooking garden. bathroom would like sit in bath corner or square, saw a lovely tilted bath in your houzz, how much are tghease pls.
    ...See More
  • apple_pie_order
    The room would look much better if you replaced all the free standing storage units with shallow cabinets or shelves mounted above the tile. They only need to be as wide as a folded towel. Pollyannagal's suggestion about a larger vanity, perhaps running from wall to wall, would help enormously. Give each family member a drawer in the vanity to avoid squabbles.

A large three way mirror medicine cabinet will give you more storage above the vanity. Something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/255024-Recessed-Tri-View-Beveled-Edge-Medicine/dp/B001PO7PXU

You haven't mentioned a budget. If you need more room for a vanity, you can move the radiator. You might get a reasonable cost for moving the radiator 6 or 8 inches toward the toilet. Or replace the radiator with the kind that also dry towels if you want a bit more luxury.
  • maryobkeogh
    Thanks All. I removed the tall white cabinet as I think you are right, it's too tall. that's made a difference already. The cupboard has shelves for towels and toiletries so the items in both the cabinets are display only! therefore unnecessary. My husband is a carpenter so perhaps I will ask him to make some vanity units - what colour / timber would you recommend?
    Also, will find some art to hang on the high wall.....any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • pollyannagal
    Sounds like you are making progress and I hope you are liking the room better now - it's actually a nice bathroom so you are lucky. You are also very lucky having such a useful husband so make the most of it and put him to work! I would use a timber similar to the bathroom door as it works well with the tiles and it would give the room a coordinated look. If he's feeling creative maybe combining it with an inlay or trim of a darker timber to pick up the window frames would look good, otherwise just go for a contrasting top.
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    There are a lot of free standing furniture in the bathroom. One way to eliminate that and maximize the space...would be to do a new sink area. I suggest getting a vanity with lower storage, and removing the free standing cabinets.
  • Natalie
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Hi---in addition to what others have suggested-I definitely think there is too much contrast with colors and patterns in a space this size. Start by changing the upper wall color to a hue one shade darker or lighter than the lower tiles or accent tiles---paint the upper walls and sloped ceilings the same color. Try to limit your prints, colors, and patterns to 2 or 3-you have solid white, red, brown, florals, stripes, animal prints, etc. Way too much!
    Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
  • maryobkeogh
    thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it! Pollyannagal, I like your suggestions re built ins - let me see how I go with that! Natalie, thanks also, I removed the conflicting patterns and took out both cabinets, I also want to paint the upper wall colour - I'll post updated pics when I've done that piece.
    Is it starting to look better? Should I remove the stool also?
  • Natalie
    I like the little stool-it or a basket could work. Painting those walls is sure to make a HUGE difference. Looking so much better already. Good Luck!
  • pollyannagal
    So lovely to see your updates and it is looking much better already. I agree that painting is the next step and then some pictures. A pair of sepia toned shell prints would go well. When you paint the wall move the cleat for the blind cord to just above the tiles so that it goes straight down not across the wall, and trim the cord to the shortest practical length you can. It you tie a little loop in the cord near the end you can loop it back up and hook it on the cleat so there's less dangly bits.

I would move your shells to the left a bit so they are in front of the fixed window pane which will frame them better. Love the raspberry bath mat - a matching hand towel would look good and link the colours across the room. The stool is good there; it adds warmth and helps to dress the room but I would only use 3 towels. Less is more but you don't want a bare room. A nice big bottle of raspberry coloured bubble bath on the corner of the bath would be an inviting touch.
  • momof5x
    I think you need extra lighting , perhaps near the mirror or maybe if you paint the walls white it will brighten up the bathroom. You could also hang towels bar on the door and make use of that space.
  • maryobkeogh
    Thank you for the suggestions Pollyannagal I made those adjustments and agree re the blind cord - so you know, I only used that cleat because it was already there! in fact, that's a lot of my challenge throughout the house is using existing fixtures that are not quite right and don't do the item justice.
    Looking forward to the paint job! and yes I'll pick up the bubble bath and hand towel also!
  • pollyannagal
    There are always so many things to change when you buy a house but it's often the small things that make a big difference. I'm so glad to see your enthusiasm to make these changes and think it's amazing that people can help each other in this way.
  • maryobkeogh
    me too, I think it's fantastic! thanks so much!
  • Madeline
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Hi, Just a thought...because you luckily have a carpenter/husband, maybe he could remove the tile and install greenboard behind your mirror for a clean look. (Remove the tile CAREFULLY so what is removed could be used in other areas should you need it. FOR EXAMPLE if you wanted to change out or remove the present towel holder to the left of the sink wall.). This suggestion would basically bring the tile behind the pedestal sink into alignment with the adjacent wall for a more defined look. Then of course the wall would be painted to match.

But consider the following BEFORE the new section of wall goes up: Installing all-important lighting will be so much easier when the wall is open to bring the electricity required. Placing a great sconce on each side of the mirror is upgrade made (possible) easier because the wall is open. AND because the placement of the studs will be evident your husband could install a recessed medicine cabinet in a snap. (I think someone already suggested a tri-view mirrored cabinet). This would give you important storage for your daily essentials and un-clutter your pedestal sink. I would definitely also strongly consider opting for a new modern faucet while you're redoing this wall (and if it's in the budget). Great well-made faucets can be had on eBay or Amazon for a song. You would have a well-lighted uncluttered look to brighten your day and I'm certain your husband is fully capable of this and would probably also love the results.
    Good luck, madeline
  • janishill
    Hello Mary! Did you paint the bathroom? I am wondering about the latest updates and pictures of all your rooms. You worked so hard adn everything looked great. It would be nice to see all you have accomplished. I miss 'talking' with you.
  • maryobkeogh
    Hi Janis! I was just thinking about you yesterday! I am very thankful for all your advice and support. I have been enjoying the changes and decorating (carefully!) for Christmas! I haven't done any painting yet but hopefully next week before the holidays. I'll post some current pics later today!
    Gabberts Design Studio
    I would switch out your pedestal sink and install a cabinet that will work for your storage to eliminate the need for all the shelving. It could extend wall to wall (depending on how deep it is for the radiator) and really give a nice surface to work on as well.
  • janishill
    Mary, I am very glad to hear from you. I think of you often. It hurt me terribly when that unthoughtful person said what she said. I can only imagine how it must have hurt you.

I would love to see how you have decorated for Christmas. I am almost certain there are differences between how our 2 countries do it.

Take care and looking forward to seeing updated posts in the near future.
  • maryobkeogh
    Hi Janis, attached some shots of the rooms (library / tv room to follow). some items are still WIP, such as moving the paintings closer in the kitchen, and hanging those in the sitting room, also changing the storage baskets in playroom to a more suitable shade....
  • janishill
    Oh my, Mary. It all looks so good.

Is there room in the front hall for the red chair? Can it go on the stone wall? I can just see it set up as a cozy sitting area or book nook.
  • maryobkeogh
    that's a great idea Janis!
  • janishill
    You must post a picture. :-)

If we ever get to Ireland I am going to come visit you!!!
  • maryobkeogh
    current library picture....
  • maryobkeogh
    Janis, if you ever come to Ireland, you are most welcome. my email address is maryobrienkeogh@yahoo.ie keep me posted!
  • janishill
    I doubt it will be any time soon. We stay so busy with our business: www.PetAssist.com
    But it could happena dn if it does I will let you know for sure. I am adding you to my address book. :-)