heather_gradke

Need help with exterior 80s ranch!

Heather Gradke
11 years ago
My house needs some curb appeal! It's so BLAH. The brick and siding has to stay. Any ideas for the trim, garage door and front door? We put in a fiberglass, wood looking front door with a decorative glass pain but it looks too fancy for this house. We also plan to take out the brick half-wall obstructing the walk way. What about a porch? Should I keep the huge crepe myrtles that are against the house now? And maybe illuminate them with spot lights?

Comments (47)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I love crepe myrles, but if they are old and causing problems, take them out. They rebloom best on new wood and are too tall to prune yearly, so they might have to go. I'd tear out the wall and all the landscaping. If that big tree is a danger, consider taking it out too. I have three large oaks and one just tipped over when the ground got soaked. It didn't fall on the house though. Fresh sod, new beds and some paint will make a big difference.
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love the stone idea around the house numbers. I actually did replace the garage door with a carriage style door (same windows but with raised panels and hardware) and the house caught fire a few weeks later so I don't have a current photo. The new garage door is about the same color as this photo, but I still feel it looks bland. We are getting a new roof and paint for the trim, front door and garage door as part of the rebuild. Any suggestions for shingle color?
  • User
    11 years ago
    If you are getting a new roof, I would go view the shingles because they will have samples and again architectural style is going to be what you want to add character and dimension. You will have to choose style and price as well as color. Without seeing the samples it would be hard for me to be able to select. If you are going with stone and change the color of your garage door, you will want to make sure they all go together so get all the samples you like (paint, shingles, stone and your brick and place them together. Again you could print out a current photo of your house on paper and lay pieces of the samples on the print to get an idea of how the colors will look. I like shingles that look like wood color or dark gray slate (mine and I have red brick). Your current color blends well with the brick but looks monotonous (ouch, you asked)
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree! There is not much I like about the exterior, please be harsh! The crepe myrtles are gorgeous when in bloom. This photo was taken in January. I don't want it too look to traditional; looking for more the mid-century modern feel. My thoughts: Dark gray roof, white trim, white garage door, white trim around the windows and a burnt orange door. Please tell me if I'm crazy!
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    You could go brown on the garage and a darker trim, like this:
    Prairie Knoll Townhomes · More Info

I can see doing an accent color on the clapboards by the front door. This house has a good look door that might work for you, but don't get one that is "Victorian" in feel. Your house is modern, but you could stretch it to a arts and crafts feel.

I would not get rid of the coutyard. But I change out the light fixtures to large bronze ones and the same for the house numbers (or paint them). This is a perfect opportunity for a secret garden something to wow your visitors.

You have lots pf potential for landscaping. I'd get rid of the ivy or pacysandra. The crepe myrtles seem to be mature and might have to go and the large tree as well. Most of the foundation plantings and the overly pruned yew on the far right side of garage. Then you can bring in native plants with color: burgandy, chartreuse and varigated leaves. Don't plant too close to the foundation, allow the plant to double in size.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Someone in my neighborhood has a burnt orange door. It does add a pop of color and if that is what you like go for it! People can assist you to decorate; but again you have to like it. Now if you are selling it right away you have to pick colors that the masses will like and burnt orange might not be it. But, if you decide to sell you could quickly change that and it would not be expensive. The other items you mention above are more expensive and would appeal to everyone. You said you are going for a mid century modern; but you did not say which century. I would love to see a pic of your house with the current garage door.

I love the show" designed to sell" because it teaches you not to put expensive items in your home that only you will like and are difficult to change
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I just read your post about a new roof! That would open the range of color choices. You should consider the summer heat when thinking about a dark roof. But I think grey would look good with the brick. Also a brown. Have your roofing company place large samples on the roof before you make your final decision. (Mine did and I got a better idea of what I liked.)

I love the idea of an orange door, depending on which way the house is facing. If it is west, it might be too much. I wouldn't go with white, though, for the trim. Something more subtle, greys or tans. Even with the orange door, I can see the wood in the entryway a interesting color.

If you could get more current pictures, it would help for suggestions.
  • mollythecollie
    11 years ago
    I would suggest having an arborist look at your crepe myrtles. They can tell you if they can be brought down in size so that they will look better with your house. Currently as tall as they are, most people will not even see the blooms.

Once you have chosen a new roof, the color choices for your home will change.
    I'm so sorry you had a fire!
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is a picture of the house (I know it's sad looking right now!) with the new garage door and front door. I like the idea of a slate gray roof. I want the house to "pop" more and I feel like white trim and white garage door would be an option. If I paint the trim and garage a color in the brick, won't it still be just as bland looking? The black hardware would really pop off a white door. Any other color ideas? I'm not really sure what century I'm going for, but I don't want the traditional look. Something between ranch and modern. You can see the fancy front door doesn't really go. But I just installed the door (we remodeled the entire inside just before the fire) so I will keep the front door but definitely paint it.
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    You don't show us a photo of the front door so we can't comment on that.

So I would suggest that you consider the following:
    -Remove the two small shrubs in front of the short masonry wall.
    -Keep the short masonry walls.
    -Find larger contemporary address numbers to mount on the short masonry wall.
    -Remove the address numbers off the siding.
    -Mount an exterior wall mounted light fixture, significant size, of a contemporary style on the siding.
    -Do new roofing, gutters, and downspouts
    -Look for a new contemporary garage door.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    You say you want modern and yet you picked out a "Victorian" style door and the garage doors are not not modern at all.

If you do want modern, see if you can sell the door and get a modern one. I'd switch the duble hung window near the door for a single pane of glass or casement style. Get modern garage doors (again see if you can sell these). Don't take down the wall.
  • Ellie
    11 years ago
    poor house (referring to the fire)!!! I love the garage door and how the hardware pops off the cream/white - i'd keep it as is. i would pick out a colour in your brick that you like and then drop it a few shades darker for the trim. In the first image the brick looks orange-y but in the 2nd it looks grey, so i'm not sure! I do like the idea of a slate grey roof as well. definitely switch up the numbers - some sleek looking MCM ones would be great on the brick to the immediate left of garage if the gutters can be moved when you reinstall them. Depending on the brick colour, I could go either way on the burnt orange door. I do think that stylistically it doesn't seem to go with the theme you want, but definitely understand you wanting to keep it since it's a new install. A dark cobalt might be an option?
  • furrytoes
    11 years ago
    Are you sure your insurance company won't replace the front door? Any smoke or water damage to it can't be fixed -- the smoke smell will always be there.
  • PRO
    Idoine Design Build Ltd
    11 years ago
    Sorry about your fire, but the silver lining is the opportunity to rebuild in the style you like. You mentioned "mid century" and "modern ranch" as styles you like and I think that's a great direction for updating the bones of your home. I'd focus on the roof, garage door, and front door to to define the style. My suggestion a raised seam metal roof - galvalume silver grey, and frosted glass for both the front door and garage door. These my be out of your budget but (maybe not) but a similar look might be achievable with either stained or painted panel doors w/ glass elements. if you search for "modern ranch" or "atomic ranch" on this site you'll get a treasure trove of ideas.

I agree with others that if you plan on selling in the near future, you'll want to stay away from expensive elements that only appeal to you, but I think you're on the right track with a modern ranch look really goes with the overall form of your home and will outlast style fads and trends.

Here are a few images from Houzz that would look great on your home.
    Contemporary Exterior design by Austin Architect Webber + Studio, Architects
    Chimney Corners · More Info

Edmondson · More Info

Blueridge residence · More Info

Edgewood · More Info

Entry Gate · More Info

New Frontyard · More Info
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I can't get too modern because my house would stick out like a sore thumb on the block. We have a mix of neighbors - some update and some haven't touched a thing since 1982. The garage door is only 4 months young so I need to work with it. This is too large of a purchase to make again! However, I am going to change the front door to a simple door with straight lines and a couple of windows at the top.

I've also decided to change the siding which will open up my color possibilities. I don't want a color from the brick - I don't feel like this would solve my BLAH problem. Any suggestions for siding style/type?
  • PRO
    Karen Parham - KMP Interiors
    11 years ago
    Check with your local nursery, but I believe before you remove the crepe myrtles you can cut them way back (I'm talking 4" from the ground). I did this with one in my front yard because it was taking away from the house. It grew back to a much more appealing size and we will keep pruning it to keep it that way. If you can afford a new roof I think that will make the biggest difference. I would stay away from brown or orange tones. Others have mentioned and I agree, the best way to select large surfaces (like roofs, siding, etc) is to drive around and find a similar colored brick house with a roof color that you like. Sorry about your fire and good luck with your changes. You can definitely transform the look of your home. With the money you're considering spending, I would encourage you to speak with several professionals, then hire one.
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Your concern of "too modern would stick out like a sore thumb" would be true only if it was done without sufficient thought and "on the fly". I find that even in neighborhoods like your's, contemporary can be more refreshing that some home projects that broadcast what was the rage and on sale at the home improvement store during a particular decade.

Figure out your budget, make a plan. If it is limited stick to it. If you have some room for professional input beyond Houzz, contact a few local architects and see if the provide an initial consultation for no fee. There are architects that do that. They will keep the session short, so be prepared with your questions.
  • PRO
    Allen Loree Homes LLC
    11 years ago
    I have done several fire restorations for clients and you have an exelent oppertunity to make lemonaid from lemons. I encourage you to look at the larger picture. You are about to rebuilt the home and have the ability to change the roof line, or add new details structurally.
    The insurance company will only pay to replace what was lost but as a contractor I get paid to put on a roof, as long as its similar in size it does not mater to me what shape it is. Other structural features are similar in that as I rebuild I can add niches and other details. In every case I have been able to make sugnifican changes with out changing the budget.
    To address you original questions.
    The brick wall dates the home. Additional landscaping can give it appeal and removing it will giv you the ability to change up the entry with a curved sidewalk or other feature. an additional option may be to hilight the brick wall with gate or archway with a morning patio behind it.
    The entry door does not fit because you selected a craftsman style garage door. Locally here there is a company call Entry Point that can change the shape of glass in a door without changing the door itself sometimes at a reasonable cost. If not available I would change the door style to match the garage door, something more craftsman.
    Consider using a vertical siding for the entry, say a board and batton or consider changing to stached stone. Its a small area and could be done for a reasonable cost.
    The three trees are competing with each other and distract from the home. Choose either the two in the back or the one in the fron but something needs to go.
    On the thought that making structural change are not appealing, I would take every plant and tree out of the front yard and do a major redo. all of the plants are 20 years old and have prformed well, however they date the home and in some cases have exceeded there usefullness. You would be suprised what a good landscaper can do to a home.

Good Luck!
    Allen
  • portpiro
    11 years ago
    I'm really sorry about the fire. How horrible that must have been. But I think you have really limited your options with that new style of garage door. I prefer the one you had before which was in keeping with ranch style modern. The only thing I can suggest is you switch that cottage style garage door hardware for something sleek and modern. And yes PLEASE ditch the front door. I think a porch would unify the house with the garage. The garage is such a dominating feature at the moment. And a porch would serve to step back the house and take away the boring L shape it is at the moment. If you paint the siding with a pop of color you are not going to meld in with the neighbours houses by what you've said.

So..... either commit to that cottagey look of the garage door and go in that direction (still ditch the front door which isn't cottagey but sort of faux Victorian). Perhaps your new front door could be a deep red.
    Add a porch. Get rid of that half wall which does the house no favors and create a lawned area that sweeps down the road with a path to the front door edged with low growing shrubs.

If you can't commit to the cottagey look you need to adapt the garage door to make it look modern. Add a porch and get rid of the half wall. Tone down the color of the garage door to a light stone shade and paint the siding the same color. Also the window frame. Then a bright color for your new modern front door. I like the Edegewood door myself. If you don't want to paint it get it in a rich warm wood. Houses these days tend towards more monochrome shades with just one contrast color to bring it to life.
  • duffie
    11 years ago
    The front and garage door do not correspond to what you say your interest are for design. If it is more contemporary-modern I would change out the glass on the front and garage doors. As the previous commentor said there are companies that do this for less than the cost of new. They could probably replace the front with a long retangular pane of glass that is frosted and you could do the same thing to the garage. I would see if you could lose the black looking straps and handles on the garage door. I would consider a gray shingle for the roof, paint the brick and garage door all the same color which will make your house look larger. A garage door is not an architectural feature at your home and i feel you should not call attention to it. I would paint the horizontal siding a different color. Your short wall is ok I might use landscape lighting as accents rather than have the ones on the columns which you might shorten to make the height of the wall all the same clean line. I think your Crepe Myrtles are fine it is the larger tree that takes away from the house. The crepes might need to be thinned out. I would take out all your other landscape and redo the front. If having a landscaper redo is to expensive then maybe your local garden center has someone that does consultations and give you a plan. If you can reroute your drain to the right side of the garage that would help the look of the house also. You mention you didn't want to look like a "sore thumb" but updating and changing the look of your home will make it distinctive. If you have watched Curb Appeal you see that is what those make-overs are about. I have yet to hear any negative comments when homes have been a stand out and look different from their neighbors. It is what we strive for and that is to be a statement house for the neighborhood. Sometimes it encourages people to do something new for their homes. DON'T BE AFAID - BE BOLD. Go online and look at modern-contemporary homes or go to your library and look at design books to get ideas. This is a great opportunity for you to have the look you have always wanted.
  • Deb Smith
    11 years ago
    Everyone has great ideas. I would make the garage a darker color - no necessarily dark, but darker. Even if you installed a new one...paint it. You need a new door. Paint will not fix it - it's dated and doesn't match the design style you are going for. The door is traditional. Yuk. Fix the landscaping. Move the two bushes and the two crepe myrtles into the backyard. Replace the two lights on the post with a more modern fixture the ones that are there now scream "traditional"! Put a modern light fixture on the door or aside of the door. Make sure your new door compliments the style of the new garage door and spend most of your money making the inside inviting . Inside and out should match in style and color. Narrow down your color palette and strictly stick to it. I would love to see your after pictures! The most important thing is this...don't stress. This is a fun project so take your time and do it right. Good luck!
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, everyone has some great ideas! The entry door is definitely going, but the garage door is staying (it's practically brand new). But I'm definitely going to paint it. Because it is such a large percentage of the front of the home, it's a focal point rather I like it or not. In fact, Remodeler magazine rated an updated garage door as #2 on the ROI list last year (just behind the kitchen!). The siding is going as well.

I think I'm down to 2 choices. In both options, I feel good about a slate gray roof and burnt orange, simple front door. Choice 1: slightly lighter gray than roof for the siding, trim and garage door. Choice 2: white siding, trim and garage door. The half-wall is definitely going and I'm trying to convince my husband to take down the crepe myrtles - or at least cut them way back. The other landscaping issues are something we can deal with after the rebuild but we have to make a decision on the exterior asap.

You all are great, thanks for taking the time to respond; such a help!!!
  • clarebaxter
    11 years ago
    Just my initial thoughts, install black architectural shingled roof, paint the brick a mid to dark taupe color, the trim white, I prefer to replace the garage with a more contemporary style but if not in the budget, then paint it taupe too with the trim white and remove the black hinges (too colonial), brushed stainless light fixtures on each side or a pole light at the walkway and driveway, replace the front door with a full lite door or mostly glass, a burnth orange color would be great for the door, replace the windows, especially on the front of the house with Pella casement windows (I did this too), install brushed stainless hardware on the door, install brushed stainless contemporary light fixtures on each side of the door, remove the brick courtyard walls and hire a landscape designer from a local nursery to redesign your front yard, usually their services are a minimal charge if you purchase the plants from them (I did this when I rehabbed one of our homes), possibly build a portico over the front door in a flat modern designwith small recessed lights and a landing out of stone as well as a walkway out of stone, if room permits, install double glass doors at the front, new fresh sod, pretty flowers, and let the landscape designer decide about the plants next to the house and garage, probably move the crepe martles to the back of the house, I like the trees. If money permits, stone the driveway too. Also, to balance the front of the house on the left side with the protruding garage, possibly a 4 ft. fence in stone and properly landscaped.
  • PRO
    Dragon Court Designs
    11 years ago
    Have read many of the comments made for you. First, take the photo of your house, and have it enlarged about twice its size. With some blank paper, and colored papers, start making some changes suggested here. The best suggestion which is almost too easy is TAKE AWAY the crepe myrtles. They are overgrown and do nothing to bring your eyes down to the ground level. Second good idea is to either paint or change the garage door. If it is a darker color, then your drive will feel longer, and the house will sit back farther from the street. Third, I would move the house numbers to the side of the garage, also make them darker on the shade of the brick. And by painting the wood area the same as the garage color, it will make that area seem much larger, and not as choppy.

The lanterns on the wall are out dated and should be changed with some with are more transitional, and less colonial. Consider something with textured glass, or indirect lighting which would not BLIND someone walking toward that area.

It is difficult to get an accurate view of the courtyard area, but consider taking out the border of plants and making that area one continous area of ground cover, ie: brick, stone, rock, and with lighting to encourage someone to "come" take a look on the other side of the brck wall. If possible, I would think of fencing the space between your home and your neighbors. That woud also make your home stand out as individual, this can also be accomplished with plantings to create a wall of privacy.

These are just simple suggestions, which would update your home, and not break the bank!
  • stephaniemama
    11 years ago
    I have a few suggestions for you. I think that you should leave the walls but front them with some flat stacked rocks. Rock work would really give you the modern look you are going for and really add interest to your home. Change the lights on top too. Match the finish to your front door hardware. Also, change the front door. Get one with small panes just at the top to replicate the garage door. I think the negative comments about the garage door are really just related to the hardware, so take it off if is decorative. I like it, but it doesn't say "modern". I get so paralyzed by the decisions involved in making over a house. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake! In updating our brick ranch house, we headed more towards craftsman than modern, but it looks fine with the style. The house was so ugly before! Oh, we did rip out a lot of shrubbery and started from scratch. A nursery designed the landscaping for free when we used them for our plants.
  • wgcrg
    11 years ago
    Paint the front door and the garage door a rich color. Need to have a large window on front; remove the siding on front of house. Remove the bricked enclosure leading front door. Plant flower in front of or around scrubs. Consider painting brick exterior a nice pastel color.
  • Peartree
    11 years ago
    If you like modern then change the garage doors to frosted glass and aluminum ones. Can the siding be painted or is it vinyl? If paintable then change to grey. If the roof is to be done then consider a raised ridge steel roof also in grey. A modern style front door in a fun colour is a great idea and I would get rid of the myrtles. Along with the huge tree they just close off and clutter the front. I actually like the little wall around the walk way and would leave it but update the lights to something more modern. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Alan Brookman
    11 years ago
    The half-wall and columns are keepers: they help to define the entry. Consider changing the lamps, however, to something more bold and interesting to attract more attention. Consider a walkway that leads to the sidewalk rather than the driveway. Do not put a roof over the entry as that will hide it all the more. If you're replacing the roof, keep it keyed in color to the stone - a darker brown might work nicely.
  • missyla27
    11 years ago
    how about a pergola over the garage?
  • larryhinkle
    11 years ago
    im in the ditch the door camp. I honestly dont think those type doors look good on any house.
  • tturbyfill
    11 years ago
    Take a close look at your brick find a good "jewel tone" in there somewhere - I was hoping for a plum or deep red - not just a brickish color. Then paint just the garage door and front door that color. Add a sea moss or dusty light green for the walls and keep small trim areas a whipped cream color. Do your roof in a slate for sure. The contrast of the green will help with your "pop".

Or paint your brick with a deep tone - say navy - and keep the doors and the wall with the numbers the whipped cream. Paint your gutters, all the hardware and the numbers a brushed nickel.

Can you trim the trees so they are lacy without leaves? The haven't much shape now - more like a bad hair day! They need a day at the salon for sure. Find someone whose trees you like the shape of and find out who trimmed theirs. Not everyone can visualize the end result when trimming.
  • PRO
    Defined Design
    11 years ago
    Feel like the door is wrong - a change to something more linear will be much better. Take the stap hinges of the garage door - just leave handles. paint the garage the deepest color in the brick. Make your door and accent, not the garage! Then pick an accent color for siding & area around front door to make entrance stand out - maybe male the door a slightly darker color than that. Take out the low all on the garage side only, get a larger, boxier shaped light for the left side, put all pavers or bluestone on the entyr area & add a bench on the low wall side to make the entrance more obvious. On garage sie where wall is removed, just find a great LARGE planter for that side & plant it seasonally to again make entrance stand out. Change house numbers to coordinate with new light on wall. if budget allows, change front double hung window to a picture window (same size, or casement - it just looks too boxy. Good luck with your recovery!
  • Laura Kilian Luetje
    11 years ago
    Do you have any current pictures of the changes you made? I am looking to change garage door and modernize also! Thanks
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is a picture of the changes we made. We took out the large tree and crepe myrtles and planted a tree that will have red leaves in the spring. We will finish the landscaping in the spring. I also plan to build a mullion pane divider for the front window. I'm not crazy about the siding color. I feel it's too dark. But I'm going to wait to get some landscaping in before deciding if I'll change it.
  • Laura Kilian Luetje
    11 years ago
    Wow! I think it looks great! It turned out really nice...I like the siding you got the modern look with the clor and it looks nice with the brick. What is the front window? do you have a white curtain there? have you thought about blinds or something?
  • wgcrg
    11 years ago
    The paint color is really nice. A double window in the front would really balance the house. I can't wait to see what all you have completed after the spring.
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have 2 inch wood blinds in the front window. I had to take the tint film off after the remodel so it's very transparent now. I think the pane divider will help it not look SO white. I've also considered a darker blind color. Maybe a beige? It's a bedroom so it needs privacy window coverings.
  • Laura Kilian Luetje
    11 years ago
    yes I would try darker! the outside looks amazing!
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm attaching the before and after pictures of the front of our home. Appreciate all your input!!
  • Laura Kilian Luetje
    10 years ago
    Did you change the brick? It looks awesome!
  • mollythecollie
    10 years ago
    Wow! It looks great! I am sure all of your neighbors appreciate what you have done. It truly looks fantastic.
  • Heather Gradke
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No I didn't change the brick. I think the darker roof and siding make it look different. I am still considering painting the siding a lighter color but overall I am pleased!
  • Laura Kilian Luetje
    10 years ago
    I love it!
  • Steff
    10 years ago
    Awesome...it looks so nice and very contemporary.
  • Steff
    10 years ago
    Just an idea...fountain type grasses in the front by the garage where the yellow flowers are. Adds an even more contemporary look and very easy to maintain.
  • PRO
    Done Right Remodeling, Inc.
    3 years ago

Hi, I have been trying to get in touch with you and it goes to a fax line. I would like to help you with your project. Please call me at 631-462-2668.

Best,

Karen K

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.