webuser_156937869

Experiences with eggshell/satin/low-gloss kitchen cabinets?

Martin W
2 months ago

Having got some sample doors/drawers from a couple of suppliers, we've decided we don't like the semi-gloss look that painted-wood cabinetry seems to come with (foiled MDF appears more resilient to glare, but we're heavily leaning towards timber).

...but reading around today, a semi-gloss finish seems to be recommended for kitchen cabinets, particularly in darker colours (we're looking at mid-dark blues or possibly greens).

So I was wondering if anyone else had gone for low(er)-gloss cabinet paint in their kitchens and how they found it (keeping it clean / whether it chips/scratches/damages easily) and how it looks visually, not just on Day-1 but after a few years?

Thanks,
Martin.

Comments (11)

• Martin W
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Isla. An oil-based eggshell sounds like a good bet...we have two young-ish children, so it's not going to have an easy life.

• Isla Cherry
    2 months ago

If you search hand painted kitchens on Mumsnet there are some very useful opinions to read. There is also a lot of shared experience, pros and cons. Just do a lot of research first. Lifestyle is key when choosing a kitchen.

• PRO
    SPEAK
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Hi Martin,

Love the colour profile you have chosen in Blue or Green. Isla's guidance is accurate, from our experience Eggshell has the edge in terms of maintenance and traffic within a busy family kitchen.

Farrow & Ball quality is exceptionally good, as is a paint brand called Mylands: A British company https://mylands.com/ whom offer some really unique colour combinations and have won countless awards for exceptional colour, there is a kitchen gallery inspiration page with guidance and examples of colour possibilities (as pictured below including the complimentary doors colour to the warm ochre)

Please keep us posted on your project, have a great day

Warm and best wishes

Team SPEAK

• minnie101
    2 months ago

Mine is painted in Little Greene eggshell but the water based, the oil will be more hard wearing although the sheen will differ. I painted mine 10 years ago when we moved in. I’ve twice repainted just 2 of the plinths where i obviously hit them with the hoover. In terms of chips, just on the fridge, DW and cutlery drawer which are obviously the most frequently used. The paint is very scrubbable. My bathroom is panelled and painted in Farrow and Ball eggshell and it doesn’t clean anywhere near as well IMO

Paint and Paper Library are also worth a look

• Sonia
    2 months ago

Go for oil based eggshell which is pretty hardwearing, however it can have a strong smell which doesn’t suit everyone. Oil based paint gives me a horrendous headache. I’ve used Little Green water based eggshell which has chipped so not so hardwearing, but has a nice gentle sheen.

• Kim
    2 months ago

We have DIY Kitchens Linwood in Heritage Green. Been in nearly 2 years and looks like new and we have two very energetic boys (4 and 7 years old) if that helps at all. Avoid the foiled finish, of for no other reason than timber can be repainted should you get bored in years to come

• macbroom
    2 months ago

I’ve just had a timber hand-painted kitchen installed, painted with oil-based eggshell paint, it is very low sheen and looks matt, also is a breeze to keep clean - just needs a wipe down with damp cloth. As it’s timber you do need to be careful not to scrape it with anything sharp but it can always be sanded and repaired if necessary. Saying that, it will last a lifetime.

• Martin W
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Quick update - spoke again to our carpenter. He used to use oil-based paint, but has since moved onto acid-catalysed paint, which he tells us has similar durability but dries a lot quicker. And he's proposing a "10% sheen" which is broadly an eggshell in texture/surface. So far, so good.

The fly in the ointment turns out to be that the "paintable" Howdens doors won't come from Howdens primed, but pre-painted in a neutral colour (?!?). What I don't know is whether the carpenter will need to prep that surface as we'd both assumed that won't be necessary. Anyone any experience/thoughts here?

• Isla Cherry
    last month

Zinzzer is the best primer on any surface. It sounds as though there might be some sanding required in addition to priming and painting. If you can find out what type of paint will be already on the doors you may be able to paint over it without any priming or sanding.

• Martin W
    Original Author
    last month

Just received a sample from our carpenter - the finish is very good, but the sheen still feels a little punchy. Don't want to go with matt paint, for maintenance / longevity reasons, so feel a bit rock / hard-place - feels odd that there's no middle-ground.

On the plus side we can choose our own colour and get something with good saturation not a half-grey excuse for a colour, which will reduce the impact of the sheen washing-it-out when reflecting. And our backup plan of using DIY kitchens (who can supply primed doors etc.) seems like it'll work, although their delivery time could get quite tight...

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.