jo_connolly22

rough estimates - Victorian terraced

Jo Connolly
21 days ago

Hi team. I’m looking to purchase a 2 bed Victorian terraced house. It needs a fair bit of work which is fine - I’m just trying to get some ballpark figures on what that could be. When I look for quotes they get understandably specific whereas I’ve not bought it yet and just need to know if something is £100 or £1000!
The house is 87 sq metres.
Would love rough ideas on the following:

• full rewire
  • cost to replaster (if we rewired)
  • cost to skim walls (if rewire not needed)
  • rough cost to carpet per room
  • new boiler
  • any other non-structural costs that pop up on old properties?!

Thanks soooo much!

Comments (9)

• Jo Connolly
    Original Author
    21 days ago

I should add I’m in SW London which will of course affect pricing

• rinked
    19 days ago

Bump (as i know nothing about such prices)

• Kimberly MD
    19 days ago

Sw18 Victorian terraced house here…. We paid a hefty £12k to replace our boiler and change our system from a gravity tank to an unvented cylinder system. Both the boiler and the tank location were changed, so it was not a straightforward job. I hope this boiler lasts 20 years like the last one! However, my neighbour in a 2 bed ground floor flat across the street just paid £6500 for her combo boiler replacement… £1500 for the boiler, £1600 for the labor, £2k for extra stuff such as flushing all the radiators, plus £1k or so of VAT.

• Isla Cherry
    19 days ago

I think you need to look at mybuilder.com's recommended costs for these trades and then double it to be on the safe side. I was previously in Hampshire (10 years +) ago and plasterers were charging £300 to skim a single wall then. Electrician's fees have rocketed and the carpets are entirely down to what you choose. I think the carpet fitting rate is not too exhorbitant though. I would get quotes first so you do not get any nasty shocks later on. Boiler depends on what type and how much work is involved in fitting/moving it. Varies completely. As it is London you can expect to pay the top price for everything.

• Jo Connolly
    Original Author
    19 days ago

This is so helpful Thankyou. I’ll have a look on the site. I had £400 on mind for skimming a whole room so deffo need to recalculate… and reskill!!!

• rinked
    19 days ago

From the comments i guess i can safely 'estimate' to calculate BP.25 per m2 for any reasonable surface treatment/finish?

• Jo Bloggs
    19 days ago

Just to give you a very rough idea, Re wire of 3 bed house including one bathroom, one ensuite, new kitchen, 3 x basement rooms, garage and outside lights, security lights and socket was £10,000. NW England 2022. Solid stone property with stone and concrete internal walks.

We got 2 quotes, both recommendations from satisfied customers. Both quotes around £10,000.

• PRO
    Jewel Dream Homes
    18 days ago

For works such as this you're looking between 15-35k depending on spec level, contact us if you need more info :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.