webuser_522302309

Brick vs. slate back addition?

Izzy F
29 days ago

Hi! We're extended our London Victorian terrace and I'm struggling to decide brick vs. slate for the back addition.

Brick can look quite blocky, and there will be a colour mismatch in the bricks.

Slate gives more alternative window options - but I'm concerned re privacy and overlooking our neighbours.

Any thoughts on what works and looks best?

Wandsworth Common Westside · More Info

Etch house · More Info

Comments (3)

• Isla Cherry
    29 days ago

I am not sure what you mean about overlooking your neighbours re slate? Do you mean the cladding for the extension? There are so many options available now that you are not restricted to brick or slate. We used a grey composite fibre cladding with white painted brickwork and dark grey bifolds. I would first decide whether you like the look of the brick or would prefer a complete contrast. There is stunning wooden cladding available now. The black shou sugi ban style can look fantastic next to the garden. The other issue is that if you choose a pitched roof then you can glaze the whole gable which gives a more spacious feel. I am sure the planners will have some ideas too as to what is acceptable and what precedents have already been set.

• Sonia
    29 days ago

Is the first picture your house? What do you mean by slate? Do you mean on the outside walls of the extension, or the roof?

• rinked
    27 days ago

Before finding out what you mean by slate, my vote goes to brick :)

If neighbours don't like brick, tell them they can paint it, for example.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.