carry_ma51

Adding a 2nd toilet or ensuite to small 2 bed terraced victorian house

C Ma
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hi, wondering if it would be possible to add a second toilet or small ensuite to this plan? It's a small terraced victorian house. I'm guessing would need to move the stairs so can build over the existing bathroom? Please any ideas welcome, willing to spend some decent money to make it work. I need the 2 bedrooms but wouldn't mind an open plan kitchen/living room if it helps... It'd be nice to maybe extend the entrance down a corridor for some extra hall space too.

Comments (4)

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

Depending on where you are I would invite a few builders around to have a look and possibly quote. They do a lot of these type of jobs and its hard to advise without knowing all the details. Some of the neighbouring properties may have had similar work done and the builders will be familiar with it. I can make layout suggestions but depending on the plumbing layout and other factors like structural considerations it doesn't really help you.

C Ma thanked Isla Cherry
  • C Ma
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi Isla! Thank you!

Ok so swapping the stairs would be expensive and wouldn't work as I'd need to sort the landing upstairs. This is what I thought, but not sure I could open all these walls and extend a toilet upstairs over the old extension, even if I want to shorten the walls to the downstairs toilet to have more kitchen space... I have clearly no idea how the structural work would hold all this together, if I'd need permission from the council... But this would be my ideal world. Please tell me it's possibly doable! Maybe would need a column between new kitchen extension and dining area?

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

Everything is possible if you have enough money. Either get a builder (at least two) around to have a look or alternatively I think you need an Architect's consultation. They are fantastic at conjuring more space and are also up to date with the permissions required. First determine your style and then try to find an Architect whose portfolio you like.

• PRO
    Hinton House Interiors
    3 months ago

I think you idea could work but you would need to consult with an structural engineer, alongside a builder.

Could you consider a loft extension?

I find it useful to look at previous planning permissions for your road - that way you can see floor plans and what is and isn't possible by your local councils standards.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.