webuser_71660

How to hide a washer and drier in a kitchen?

Tani H-S
5 months ago

If you haven't got a separate utility and want to hide a washing machine and tumble dryer (probably a condensor one) in the same room, any ideas on how to hide them? I know they would have to be in a deep cupboard but not sure what size cupboard and what space is needed around them? Was going to put a wall vent in if I can locate it on an outside wall to make sure it doesn't overheat.
Currently designing our kitchen and moving it to a bigger room but the tumble dryer is in the outbuilding which is quite cold so it's not ideal.
Struggling to work it all into the room as we also have an awkward corner that is 'cut off' ie the wall is angled rather than 90degrees 🙄 so we lose some standard space.
Thank you

Comments (8)

• Daisy England
    5 months ago

You will need it wider and deeper. Remember to allow for the pipes. Both of mine are freestanding ones which l wasn’t prepared to replace with integral ones, but we made them look integrated.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 months ago

That looks great! Is it a condensor dryer you have and how do you stop all the moisture and it overheating in the cupboard? Ie is there a vent behind it?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Ps how deep did you have to make them to allow for the doors etc?

• Sonia
    5 months ago

Do you already have the washing machine and dryer? If not, then integrated ones make it so much easier. I have an integrated dishwasher and washing machine and it’s very tidy and I chose them as the kitchen is small. Not sure if a dryer can be integrated though! This row below includes those appliances.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I have a freestanding washing machine but only bought it a few months ago before we moved as just presumed I would have a utility to put it in 🤣 oops.

It was expensive as well.

The dryer we have is also freestanding but is in the garage as it was left by the owners but its not great.

I think long term we will want to insulate the outbuilding and have a laundry room in there because I will have the 3 holiday flats above to launder for so in my own flat I could go with a built in one - for at least the tumble dryer anyway!

• Daisy England
    5 months ago

My dryer isn’t a condenser one. It has a pipe out of the back which goes out of the wall and then has a vent over. When it’s in use l leave the unit door open.
    The depth of the unit is around 730mm and the width is 640mm, therefore you will need non standard doors. Obtaining them wasn’t a problem for me as we run a kitchen and joinery company so I had contacts with various suppliers who would offer this facility.
    Having the dryer over the top of the washer was a good thing for me as it saves bending down to empty it.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 months ago

thanks everyone! Yes i think i would need some sort of vent or maybe a bifold door so it wouldn't stick out into the room if I had to leave them open. Food for thought.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.