susieprice55

Bifold countertop unit knob placement - help please!

Susie
6 months ago

Hello houzz friends
Husband and I are debating where to put knobs on our countertop unit which has bifold doors. Google images shows lots of examples with a simple knob in the centre of the doors. Husband thinks this will be impossible to open and thinks knobs should go in the next panel along which I think looks odd. (see pics for the two options)
Any help appreciated from anyone who has a similar cupboard :-)

Comments (4)

• Isla Cherry
    6 months ago

Husband is right to place the knob in the stronger part of the shaker door. I used to work for a large high end kitchen company who sold mostly your shaker style doors. We did not place the knobs or handles in the centre but in the door frame as your bottom pic shows.

• Jen
    6 months ago

Yes, that second option is correct, so you can pull the centre of the doors towards you to open.

• Jen
    6 months ago

Sorry, I realise there’s some ambiguity here, over what we mean by ‘centre’. As Isla says, the handles should be on the strongest part of the door and not on the centre of the panels. But to easily open bifold doors the handles also need to be on the door frames near the central fold on each door as your husband suggests.

• Susie
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you both for the comments, really helpful. I'm baffled as to why all the examples I can find of bifold countertops like this have central knobs, but perhaps it is because they aren't on a rail and just supported by hinges? Thanks again!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.