emily_baker37

Is a panel needed between two base level integrated fridges?

Emily Baker
10 months ago

We are diy-ing our kitchen refurb and can't agree on whether the two base level integrated fridges should have a panel between the two. They are essentially free standing (but will have integrated doors attached) but we're not sure what would work / look best in this situation. Any suggestions from someone who has come across this situation before?

Comments (10)

• Jonathan
    10 months ago

No they probably don’t need a panel…….. however two integrated appliances next to each other can move so they could look wonky over time. You might also be limited with worktop choices….. thinner worktops might need a panel to support them.

• Emily Baker
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks for your comments, must admit we hadn't actually considered the fact they might move over time! There will be an end panel on the right of the end one but from the sounds of it it won't hurt to add as much support as possible.

• Ruth House
    10 months ago

Integrated appliances would have a full cabinet surround so that they are spaced the same way as a normal cupboard, so essentially 2 panels in-between.  Otherwise the doors may not fit.

• Sonia
    10 months ago

I had a look at my integrated appliances and the washing machine and the dishwasher have no cupboard around them and the outside doors are attached to the appliances. The cupboard under the sink has a cupboard unit as normal. My fridge is free standing. Here’s some pictures which I hope will help? I would get advice from any kitchen company first - advice is always free!

• Sonia
    10 months ago

Forgot to say only the washing moves a tiny bit when spinning but never far and never out of its housing.

• Daisy England
    10 months ago

Integrated appliances do not have a carcase. They are intended to sit alone. Some under mounted ovens require them, some do not. Washing machines are prone to movement and the door in time may need adjusting.

• Ruth House
    10 months ago

I suspect it very much depends and also depends whats doors you intend to use.  My integrated fridge and integrated freezer both sit within a carcass and therefore have a double wall between them, this is so that the doors are the same width as those units either side to give a seamless integrated look.  Whereas my dishwasher does not have a carcass but has its own specific door width.  Under counter ovens aren't truly integrated as they are open at front so not really relevant here although mine are also in their own carcasses.

• User
    10 months ago

Like Ruth, my integrated fridge/freezer and oven sit in units, but my dishwasher doesn't.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    10 months ago

Built under fridges [and built under freezers] don't fit inside a carcase as they are 600 [595 actual] wide and the facia door fits to the appliance door. When you have 2 built under appliances together you may be able to get away with not having a panel between the 2 [as it does look ugly IMO] but it depends on the worktop used, if its a stone or solid surface than the spec may state that any span over 600 needs to be supported. Check with worktop supplier.

With laminate worktops you'll probably get away with it and with something like a built under fridge that doesn't move you can put packers on top to support the worktop.

When setting out, you do need to make sure that the overall space you have is 1200mm so don't squeeze the 2 fridges together or the 2 facia doors will hit each other and if you do decide to have the central panel, this needs to be a decor panel to match the doors, fitted flush so its inline with the facia doors and I'd notch out the bottom so the plinth runs through.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.