megan_jones8264

Terrified of removing wallpaper in victorian home.

Megan Jones
2 years ago

I've recently bought a victorian end of terrace house. It's been wallpapered to the high heavens, I'm taking thick probably multiple layered stuff.
I've had a feel of the walls and although they feel soild they feel rough, felt uneven corners, rough underneath, like stones in places.
Ive had a reading of moisture levels also on the exterior wall (end of the terrace) but the house is south east facing at the top of a hill if this makes any difference. No visible signs of damp though.
My worry is that I'm going to strip this paper and find a nightmare underneath, like mould or the plaster coming off completely or cracks the size of my face.
I'm a first time buyer and buying alone so this is very scary as it is, I also get super anxious so this is playing on my mind. Scared of the unknown.
Any advice / tips are most welcome. To how to remove the paper to what to do if it's a scary hell hole underneath.
Thank you in advance guys :')

Comments (6)

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Does your budget run to employing a decorator to have a look and then remove the wallpaper? Then the walls can be skimmed by a plasterer.

• Megan Jones
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It did if it was Gypsum plaster, but lime is so much more expensive. Worried its going to cost me a fortune :'(

• Sonia
    2 years ago

Maybe get some quotes then you’ll get more of an idea of costs? I hope you find a solution.

• minnie101
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This guide may help as it may be possible just to repair the plaster. It is more expensive to have lime plastering done (it seems a bit of a lost skill and the plaster is dear) but there may be economies of scale if several rooms need doing so they may do one day a week and come back a week later when that coat is dry.

If that particular wall is damp you will find the paper will just peel off off tbh. We found damp in a room this year and wallpaper, cross lining and lining paper all came off in ine go. On a positive you do have lime plaster, most of ours has been covered with gypsum which is a whole other issue, so any damp should be drying out

https://www.realhomes.com/advice/plaster-in-old-homes

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I forgot to say good luck and don’t forget to use breathable paint for lime plaster once it’s done

• Megan Jones
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much Minnie for your advice, it's exactly the conclusion I've come to also, that link is so informative also. Really hoping I've got some good lime plaster under the paper, fingers crossed ᾑEἿB

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.