erin_bone

Oversize Transom Options for Entryway

Erin
3 years ago

We purchased our home in July and I have no idea what to do with the oversize window in the entryway. I love the natural light, but you can see directly into the upstairs hallway, bathroom, and one of the bedrooms from the outside... feels very exposing. Definitely don’t want curtains and I think blinds would look odd. I don’t even know what to search to see option. I’ve come across black leaded glass, iron-inspired inserts... are these even an option? Would it look strange? Do we need to remove the window altogether? Help!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    CLARICE SMYTH DESIGN
    3 years ago

Depending on the budget for this window there are several options. Have a new window installed designed of real a leaded glass or solid pains of a tempered textured or frosted glass. Another, less expensive solution, is to have a frosted treatment applied to the existing window panes. There are window clings that offer stained or leaded glass look but are limited in the size that are manufactured. Hope this gives you some ideas.

• Erin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Clarice! Curious if you’ve ever seen leaded glass in a window like this? I’d love to find some examples, but haven't been able.

• L.D. Johnson
    3 years ago

Bet that would be a $$$ window to replace. There is a window film simulator on the 3M site that might help. (But even for film, you'd need professional help or an expensive ladder to install!)

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/home-window-solutions-us/window-film-simulator/

Good luck!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

A distant view through a second-floor window of a staircase/hallway is not really a problem for most homeowners. I'm assuming the house doesn't have all the lights blazing through the night.

Consider the new passage lights that are incorporated into the wall outlets to keep the overhead lights off. Then the view will simply be dark.

• Erin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We actually have these!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

https://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/product-category/leaded-glass-film/

These should work on your window to provide you with the privacy you desire.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.