webuser_121447391

Where to sell unused 48” AGA range

Haley Johnson
3 years ago

We are moving into a house that has a brand new 48” AGA range. Unfortunately I can’t use the range (the oven size is too small for my large pans I use all the time), and we’re swapping it out for a different range. The seller does not want to take the AGA range, so I’m trying to figure out the best place to sell it with the least hassle (ie we don’t want to ship it).

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you!

Comments (19)

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I am making an assumption that you do not live in the US as AGA ranges are not common here. Depending on your country if you have a service that you can list things for sale or give away list it there. If not see if there is a charity shop that will take it. If I was closer I would be waving my arms frantically saying ME, ME. Alternative is to find a repair service that will take it for the parts depending on how old it is.

Although probably none of my pans would work this is one of my dream stoves from my childhood in the late 1950s early 1960s. This house had the first dream stove and sadly I will probably at this stage of my life never have the second. However I can dream.

• Haley Johnson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I live in New York City! And yes it's a beautiful range, but unfortunately I cook a ton and do so with sizable cast iron pans haha

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Interesting. Cast iron oven pans. One thing to think about is changing the direction that you insert the pans. I fell in love with them because to my teen mind they were romantic. But in seeing the videos I noticed that the regular sized pans that I use placed horizontal into the oven if changed so that they are inserted lengthwise into the oven would fit and work well. Not all of my pans would do so but most of the common sized ones would. I look at YT videos and see the ovens that are used in other parts of the world. Has enlarged my cooking mind. Especially the idea that food placed in the oven must have air circulating around it, on a rack.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

You could list it on Ebay as local pick-up only. Or try your local Craigslist, but be ready for no-shows.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Since you are in the US and may have enough of mortgage interest to itemize your deductions donate it to your favorite charity and take the write off. It would be even better if it has a yearly auction where people tend to bid for more than an item is worth because it supports a charity. Just my opinion.

• Haley Johnson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

The biggest problem with Craigslist, etc. is this thing weighs ~600 lbs and getting it out of the house is going to be a huge to-do, so I was hoping against hope that some professional operation would buy ranges at a discount and do the labor of carrying.

And actually they're just regular cast iron pans. But I start a lot of food on the stove (in cast iron pans or just regular, oven-safe pans) and then finish it in the oven. I feel like most recipes for fish or veggies call for that to get nice color on the food before finishing it off. But including the handles, the pans are ~23 inches, and there's no way they can fit in any of the oven compartments in any arrangements (and forget a half sheet pan!). Anyway, just not the way I cook and I cook a lot, so giving up this lovely range for a cheaper range that I will use more. Such is life.

• wilson853
    3 years ago

This might be an option since you are in NYC.

https://renovationangel.com/contact-us

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    3 years ago

You could advertise it locally and include an allowance to hire a specialized appliance moving company to take it out of your home once the deal is done, and make it a condition of the sale.

The ~$300-500 fee will be money well spent on your and the buyer's part to make sure that the range is transported safely and that neither your home nor theirs is damaged in the process.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Do you have a garage or somewhere to put the stove while listing it and have it out of your kitchen? If so hire someone to get it out of your kitchen to the storage area and then list it for sale with pick-up only and buyer is responsible for moving it. It might be nice to list the weight of it too.

otherwise the above post has a good idea.

• kim k
    3 years ago

I'd give it away for free with the caveat that interested party is responsible for hiring movers to get it out of your home.

• Haley Johnson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good question about the garage. Sadly, no, we live in the city so no garage available. Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

AGA ranges are listed and have been sold on ebay with "local pickup". There must be some interest because two ranges have watchers.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

I use quarter and half sheet pans along with my smaller skillets.

FB marketplace and Ebay are your friends. Habitat for Humanity Restore or the Renovation Angels are other possibilities.

It's a beautiful range, I'd really try to work with it. As a former caterer, I've worked with all types of kitchen equipment. I'd try to use it for three months and see if I can adapt. It's going to take that long to order and install a replacement. You might learn to love it.

• MizLizzie
    3 years ago

If unused, it must be fairly new. You might get the appliance dealer who sold it to the previous owner to take it back to sell as an “open box return,” if you purchase your new range from the same dealer, so they’re just doing a swap out. They won’t cut you any deal, I shouldn’t expect, but they might haul it away.

• Haley Johnson
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Appreciate the suggestions. Sadly neither the seller nor the dealer they got it from are of any use. Also appreciate the suggestion to use—I agree it’s beautiful—but I am constantly using my largest Demeyre and largest cast iron and half sheet pan in my current oven, none of which would fit. Cooking for a family and especially company, it just is sooooo much easier. Realize it’s not everyone’s lifestyle, but it’s mine!

• PRO
    DaVallia Art & Accents
    3 years ago

If you didn't sell it, let me know. This is one of the stoves we're considering. Which model? Live in VT, NY's not far

• M
    3 years ago

Miele has a really nice cast aluminum roasting pan that has a more convenient form factor. It might be much more cost effective to buy one or two of those and keep your existing oven(s). AGA generally has a great reputation and it'll cost a lot to buy a comparable replacement.

I know it is very tempting to immediately switch out all the appliances you don't like. But I agree with the suggestion to give it a few months to see if you can make it work.

What are the actual interior dimensions and what type of cookware are you looking for? Somebody here might be able to find a solution that costs a lot less than buying more than $10k of stove. Smaller ovens take some getting used to, but a lot of chefs discover that they actually have a lot of advantages (much faster preheat times, and ability to use several ovens each at different temperatures).

• tete_a_tete
    3 years ago

I loved my Gran's fuel stove. Roasts always tasted so amazing when we were at her place. If I ever come across an old fashioned one that uses wood as fuel, I'd love it.

My niece bought one for my mother's place but it was not an old fashioned one. It ran on electricity. Not the same in my opinion.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.