surrendertoflow

LVP to avoid (read if considering Coretec or CaliBambo) and a mystery

surrendertoflow
3 years ago

Ugh. I’m sorry in advance for the length of this post. It truly is a long (and ongoing) story.

In July of 2019, we used a local flooring company to install almost 2000 sq ft of Coretec Berlin Pine. Within a month it was clear that the bevel paint was coming off on many of the planks and many of those were also chipping at the corners where the paint had come off. The flooring company worked with Coretec (Shaw) to bring out an independent inspector to investigate and the problem was so obvious that we had a response within the same day that the floor was defective (a process we were told that usually takes weeks). After some back and forth we were eventually refunded the money by Shaw and, of course, wanted nothing more to do with them or any of their products.

We worked with the flooring company to find a replacement and ended up going with Cali Bamboo North Shore Oak because that was the only other LVP that we could find that had the warm tones we were looking for. After the installers had ripped up the Coretec planks on the bottom floor, they pointed out to us that there were so many pattern repeats in the Cali Bamboo flooring that they couldn’t make it look good. This pattern repeat issue was something we had explicitly checked on before purchasing so we were livid that we had been told inaccurate information by CB sales people. There was a 3-day struggle with them because they kept saying if we install the floors we accept them as is, but our argument was we had to install what was here because we were on subfloors at that point and we have a toddler (not clean and not safe!!). They FINALLY agreed that that was sound reasoning, then told us there was a problem with manufacturing and there actually should have been more patterns than the 4 we had and they had plans to fix it. They refunded our money with the assurance they would have the pattern repeat issue fixed and new planks would be in stock in about 6 months. So the installers hastily laid down what we had from them at the time with everyone expecting a new floor fairly shortly (which didn’t happen). So we currently have clearly defective boards on the floor (one even has numbers printed on it) and overly stressed and cracked molding (some with nails sticking out) from too many install attempts because we just needed them to get us off the subfloors immediately. The Coretec floors are still installed upstairs because they hadn’t been ripped up yet when the installers figured out there was a problem with Cali Bamboo.

It’s been over a year since then and Cali Bamboo recently said they fixed the repeat issue. We found out they didn’t really (just took the same 4 exact patterns and reversed them) and when we questioned how that didn’t line up with what they said before they’ve gone silent and basically aren’t answering anything else. So needless to say, we are also not fond of Cali Bamboo.

We are still searching for LVP with warmer tones and are awaiting samples from many companies including Flooret (who has had the best customer service BY FAR so far). I have to say though, given that we had to have the flooring install company fight for us two times in a row over unexpected issues, we are highly anxious about ordering direct and having an independent installer do the installation for us. If our house is under some kind of crazy curse and something goes horribly wrong with our floors for a third time, even if the flooring manufacturer admits fault, I imagine we’d be out the installation costs? The flooring manufacturers we dealt with for our two horrible experiences were abysmal, but at least the flooring company we worked with that partnered with the manufactures fought for us until we (and they) were refunded everything including installation costs.

There is another piece to the story that we’re terrified of repeating. Both of these issues apply to the Coretec floors but not to the Cali Bamboo floors. First off, the “haze” that people complain about on forums that makes it to where you can’t ever get the floor looking clean is absolutely true. And we’ve only ever used approved cleaning tools and solutions. Anything Coretec suggests is worthless to fix this problem. There are still footprints from install a year and a half ago on those floors. No problems with the look or ease of cleaning the Cali Bamboo floors downstairs at all.

This last issue is the worst one. Since we have a toddler, we spend a lot of time down on the floor. It took awhile but we finally figured out why all of our socks and pants were getting holes in them so quickly and why every time I’d get up from my knees off the floor I’d have whitish patches on them. The Coretec floors are shredding our clothes (like a fine-grit sandpaper)! Again, the Cali Bamboo floors do not do this. I sure wish they had a better pattern repeat solution and their customer service was better so we could just go with them because at least we know their floors won’t tear up our clothes and we can clean the floors just fine without the haze. We have gotten several samples already from Armstrong Empower and Pergo extreme and they seem to have the same ultra matte finish as the Coretec Berlin Pine. I so hope this isn’t the latest trend that we’re going to find across the board because I’m telling you that finish is horrible (though as explained below, it perhaps can’t all be blamed on the finish). When we go upstairs we have to avoid touching the floors with our clothes to try to keep them from being ruined (pretty hard to do with a three year old). It’s just an absolutely ridiculous situation.

The thing we can’t figure out is all of these companies are using different materials for the protective top layer (Coretec uses UV acrylic, Armstrong Empower uses diamond dust with urethane, Pergo Extreme uses aluminum oxide) but if it even remotely has a matte finish like the Berlin Pine then it does the same thing (as evidenced by me getting down and testing the samples on my pant knees!) regardless of what the wear layer is made of. Even some samples that aren’t super duper matte are doing it. We were hoping we could just avoid the acrylic since that’s what Coretec uses but it doesn’t seem to be the material that’s the culprit, it seems to be the finish I guess but that doesn’t really explain it totally either!? Also can’t explain it away by blaming it on embossing/texture because the Coretec floor we have doesn’t have really bumpy ridges (and feels pretty smooth to the touch though you can definitely tell it’s not a slick/glossy finish just by the feel). The Cali Bamboo floor we have does have quite a bit of embossing/texture (more than we’d prefer in fact) but no issues with clothes shredding. The CB North Shore Oak finish does have a noticeably slicker feel in between the embossed ridges if you run your finger over it compared to the Berlin Pine, though it doesn’t appear glossy or shiny. Does anyone have any clue as to what on earth is causing this fabric damaging property on the floors that are doing it??!!

I’ve also seen other people complaining about the haze problem with other LVP besides Coretec so that also doesn’t seem to be a problem that is specific to the acrylic top coat they are using. (But again, no such problem with Cali Bamboo so definitely not an issue with all LVP).

Also, of note, we saw the issue with paint coming off the bevel on A LOT of samples we looked at in our second round of looking for a replacement. You could see the paint coming off onto a wet paper towel (just using water) by just rubbing it over the painted bevel. So that’s also not an issue just specific to the Coretec floors (at that time Cali Bamboo was the only one we tested that didn’t have this issue). So if you are floor shopping and are getting something with a painted bevel, I recommend you do the wet paper towel test!

So I guess what I’m looking for here is...

1) We’re seeking an understanding of why some LVP has the haze problem people complain about and why some LVP has the clothes shredding problem we’ve had and at least one LVP (Cali) doesn’t. Since neither of these issues seem to be able to be explained away by a difference in what the top layer is made of or whether or not there is pronounced texture/embossing we don’t know how to avoid it and are understandably terrified of going through another round of flooring fail!

2) Also wanting to hear from people about whether or not they have LVP that has the haze/footprint issue or the clothes shredding issue or the bevel paint issue or the dumb pattern repeat issue. I’m sure there are some who do actually have the clothes problem (given our testing of recent samples and how widespread the matte finish is now) but don’t realize it or aren’t down on the floors enough for it to be noticeable. BTW, we told Coretec about it and they didn’t care in the least. When we left negative reviews mentioning the clothes-shredding capabilities of their flooring they said it must have been an installation problem (as if).

We’re desperate to find a replacement that isn’t going to repeat any of these problems we’ve experienced! Any advice/help anyone can share will be GREATLY appreciated!! TYIA!

Comments (244)

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Shannon H Seaboard Oak is the same as our North Shore Oak floors so I’m not surprised that you haven’t had issues with holes! It’s just a different color variation with the same pattern (we prefer the North Shore coloring, matched matches our home better). Our repeats are super duper obvious because they didn’t have the reversals when they installed ours. We thought the reversals would not make that much difference because the knots/patterns are so distinctive we thought it would still be really obvious (it is on the Cali product pics anyway). We have big open rooms that make it more obvious too. Now that our 6 -month wait for flooring we thought might work apparently isn’t happening (or we have to wait indefinitely), I’m still thinking about just trying North Shore Oak again with the repeat reversals. It would feel like settling at this point (especially to my husband who hates the repeats) but I just don’t want to have to start over! Do you happen to have any pics of your Seaboard Oak in an open space so we can see what it looks like with the reversals? Thank you so much for your reply!

• Shannon H
    last year

@surrendertoflow yes- I love the North Shore color too, gorgeous! I will take some photos tomorrow and post them here, hope it helps! It's a VERY hard decision to make, so I feel your pain! I have to say thank you because we were going to go with the Provenza line when I read your post. I did the hole test and yikes! It was awful, a hole appeared in just a few passes.

One more thing that might be helpful: during install, I stuck around and made sure they were careful about pattern placement. I think that really helped!

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Shannon H Bless you! SO glad that you were able to avoid the destructive flooring and that you were able to find something you love!! Oh lordy I feel like we'll be riding piggy back on the poor installers when we go through this again (and hopefully the final time). Thank you!!

• Raquel V
    last year

Shannon H - I’m about to purchase Cali Bamboo. Can I ask if you have done the upstairs yet and if so did you adde any underlayment (or have plans to) or is the backing enough?

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Shannon H We just got more samples of some of the longboards including North Shore Oak to see if the finish has changed since last we checked (about a year ago). Unfortunately, as expected, the newest North Shore Oak sample we got shreds just like any other new LVP samples we got. There was one option that didn’t do as bad on the fabric test (Laguna sand), but not as good as the old version of our North Shore. So frustrating because Cali says it hasn’t changed because they have no idea what we’re talking about. But I can clearly show in a video that our North Shore Oak (installed early 2020) shows zero fabric damage after 100 passes and the new North Shore sample we got damages fabric in less than 10 passes! So our backup plan opportunity is apparently gone. We’ll eventually have to replace the Cali floors but at least for now that one isn’t shredding our clothes. We’re thinking of coating the destructive Coretec Berlin Pine with a polyurethane finish to see if it will help us in the meantime while the flooring industry hopefully figures out their floors are so matte they are destructive. Sounds like you got lucky before it switched!

So @Raquel V, if the consequences of a go floor that has to too matte of a finish is a concern for you, I do recommend doing tests first before you purchase and install! Get a sample from the lot number you plan to purchase from (a box is most telling)

• Shannon H
    last year

@raquelv hi there, we have our stairs and an additional room scheduled to start this Wednesday. The installers did a vapor barrier to protect from moisture, but no underlayment. I would suggest a vapor barrier, even for the upstairs. But you don't need anything more than that... In fact if you do more than a vapor barrier, it voids any warranties. :) Hope that helps!

@surrendertoflow ugh no, I'm so sorry!! That actually makes me really nervous because we just ordered a bunch for our stairs and another room and install starts this week. Fingers crossed I guess.

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Shannon H Fingers crossed for you!! Let me know how it goes!

• Mrs. S
    last year

That is an incredibly rude accusation, and inappropriately aggressive to the OP. This is her thread after all, and probably thousands of people on the internet will find and read it. She/He is doing a great service.

surrendertoflow thanked Mrs. S
  • E Madsen
    last year

I'm so happy to read that I'm "not the only one" . We had Coretec Calypso lvp installed in our fsmily room about 18 months ago and boy has it worn out our socks! the rest of the house is engineered hardwood that is smooth as glass but isn't dog or water friendly . The coretec calypso is absolutely beautiful and natural looking (no repeat looking fake pattern) and we love that its waterproof and scratch proof (our dog is pretty "crazy" and also spills her water, lol) BUT...yes its very rough on socks! Wish we could have had the best of both worlds! ill keep this post hsndy to hear if any of you find an alternative since we want to eventually replace bedrooms; for me those must be smooth!

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    last year

Manufacturers have to do test ASTM D2047 - Standard Test Method for Static Coefficient of Friction so floors can be ADA compliant. This type of floor has to have texture so people will not slip and fall. So... that flooring that will not wear your socks could really hurt someone.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Alan Ward - CEO WeShipFloors.com

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@WeShipFloors

I’ve said this before. It’s not about the texture. Our old Cali North Shore Oak (that wasn’t destructive AT ALL) has plenty of embossed texture (much more than our Coretec Berlin Pine that has a finish that is destructive). We never slip on the Cali floor even in socks. It is absolutely not true that the floor has to be matte to the point of being destructive in order to be safely non-slip. This is a new problem in LVP (in the last couple of years) and some are worse than others.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I did a bit of internet research and found something that may be the cause for the change to LVT/LVP flooring.

Every manufacturer has to be really careful so that they don't get sued. 10-15 years ago LVT/LVP came with a warning that it was not suitable for wet area use. My sister got tile in her bathrooms at that time because LVT couldn't be used in the bathrooms.

Manufacturers answered the requests to have LVP/LVT in our bathrooms.

In 2019 this study was completed by Clemson University Materials Science Engineering Dept.

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=matsci_pubs

"From the survey of product literature (including advertisements), each product tested for this report is claimed to be waterproof, water resistant, or depicted being used in areas where flooring gets wet. Such claims and advertisements suggest that the products can be used in wet applications. While 18.2% of the products measured above a wet DCOF value of 0.42, 81.8% of the products measured either below 0.42 in all test directions (72.7%) or below 0.42 when tested on their long axis (9.1%). According to the ANSI A326.3 standard, any product measuring below 0.42 would not be suitable to be walked on when wet."

The manufacturers were essentially put on notice. Anyone who slipped or fell in their bathroom after installing the product could successfully go after the manufacturer for knowingly putting them at risk. There was a published study that pointed out the problem.

I don't know if there were earlier studies that prompted change, but I don't see the manufacturers backing down if the result is that they can be sued for millions of dollars if someone slips and falls when walking on their floor when it is wet.

surrendertoflow thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Jennifer Hogan There’s gotta be a happy medium though. They’ve definitely gone too far unnecessarily with the matte effect. Our old Cali (installed 2019) is textured and not slippery (it’s in the kitchen and gets plenty plenty wet often with my little helper) and isn’t destructive in the least. It also doesn’t have the annoying hard-to-look-clean, smudgy issue the super matte floors do. BUT we just got newer samples of the same Cali floor and they’ve since updated their finish, probably without even knowing it (at least the sales people are not aware of the change at all). It’s now just as destructive as others so, just to be clear, I’m no longer recommending North Shore Oak to anyone now. Just giving the old version as an example of something that’s totally able to be safe, even wet, without being destructive.)

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@surrendertoflow

I hear you and I understand your frustration and your belief that the smoother finishes were fine, but this is what you and the manufacturers are up against.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-10-29/america-s-slip-and-fall-king-wants-to-save-you-from-a-workplace-wipeout

You are fighting a battle that cannot be won.

No manufacturer is going to prioritize damage to your socks over someone else's loss of life.

Just think if you were sitting on a jury.

Some young mother of 3 slipped and fell in her bathroom and is now in a wheelchair. Can never run after her kids again, maybe she can't even pick them up anymore.

Now the manufacturer is on the witness stand and explains that they were aware that their product didn't meet the standards for preventing slip and fall accidents, but when they met these standards about 10% of the homeowners who purchased their product complained that their socks and their kids tights were getting ruined by the flooring and it was too rough for babies to crawl on and not scrape their skin. In order to please these customers they ignored the standards and went back to making their flooring smooth enough to make those customers happy.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but you need to accept reality. The manufacturers are not going to side with you. They can't.

• E Madsen
    last year

@Jennifer Hogan, @surrendertoflow

Just going to chime in again because I get the lawsuit thing, but what about other types of flooring currently being sold then? laminate is smooth and non destructive, engineered hardwood is smooth and non destructive, and yes even tile with the bathroom rated texture is not near as destructive as this lvp that the author of this thread and so many of us are talking about. And, another note is that a friend of mine had a less expensive Home Depot brand of LVP (lifeproof) installed recently and it is a lot smoother than ours and so far has not been destructive to her socks. Just my 2 cents 🙂

surrendertoflow thanked E Madsen
  • surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@Jennifer Hogan

I understand your point, but, again, not asking for standards to be ignored or for floors to be slippery and dangerous. There is no need to carry the nonslip standards to such an extreme that they are destructive. Many of the samples we’ve seen are VERY extreme (totally believable they would cause abrasions on little ones). I’m still here only to try to find floors for us and to try to help others be aware of the problem so that they can at least test it out for themselves and hopefully avoid the worst ones. I’m not in the least expecting that anything I’m saying is actually going to change the industry (and again, even if I could change it all by some miracle I’d only be asking them to change to non destructive levels of non slip, which as far as iI can tell would be just slightly less matte with embossing/texture still present.)

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@E Madsen I thought I remembered when we were looking at cheap glue down planks they were not as destructive feeling pre pandemic when we were still in stores (but we were worried about cheap/glue down not being a as durable so kept to rigid core). Based on your comment though, I think we’ll look at those again and hope we can find something that looks decent with a less destructive finish! Thank you for those 2 cents!

• E Madsen
    last year

@surrendertoflow

hi , happy to put in my "2 cents" please keep me posted in what you find . ps the lifeproof brand that my friend boight was not glue down it eas click lock, but again, limited in colors and a "cheaper" brand , so we went with rigid core Coretec in our gamily room - beautiful but shredding our socks. We want to add more lvp in other rooms but will wait to hear from others that can give us advice 😊

• Scotty D
    last year

This just sounds like an excuse for an unintended consequence. The vinyl manufacturers probably didn’t know how abrasive their product was, but once it became an issue, they needed an out from this liability. Hence the slip and fall defense. Tile, wood and old style sheet flooring can be slippery but they haven’t stopped using them.

• Karen
    last year

I’m not an expert, but it seems that people want a “waterproof or “water-resistant” surface for a reason. Normally wood isn’t the best flooring for bathrooms or in many cases kitchens. If you choose a flooring tile, it too is rated if it should be allowed in wet areas ie to prevent falls. I’ve had installers discourage installing certain tile in bathrooms unless treated. I can understand that LVP manufacturers might be especially vulnerable to lawsuits since they specifically advertise for “wetter” conditions ie advertising as 100% waterproof. I guess there is no perfect flooring.

• umfoxm
    last year

This post is alarming we didnt know and just installed cortec hd highland oak and its shredding our clothes in under a few hours. we have a new baby and now are at a loss. causes holes in guests socks as well.

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@umfoxm I’m so sorry this is happening to you! i keep hoping with time they will change it. Please do let them know! i know some retailers have worked with Coretec claims reps that have helped some people if they complain about it, but it depends on the retailer and rep on how sympathetic they are (and how insistent you are). We’re even thinking about trying to buff our floor because we still haven’t found a replacement. (But you should go through claims process before doing something like that because I’d think it would void the warranty.)

• Aunt Arctica
    last year

Just another reason, along with offgassing and plastics, to avoid these floors. We did consider, but going full hardwood now.

• hkennedy2
    last year

Thank you for sharing. We were planning to order the Coretec Grande and are now reconsidering. We need something water resistant and tile is so hard to walk on day after day. We also have young kids and were thinking the LVP was going to be great. Definitely going to consider my options again

• NJ Pegi
    last year

After reading the issues that you had with LVP, I decided to go with Pergo WoodCraft engineered wood which is scratch resistant and waterproof. My brother-in-law tested it by cutting it full-on with a utility knife and you could barely see a scratch. We installed it through the house (1700 sq ft) and the color (Glenwood Springs Hickory) reminds me of your Northshore. I love it! (Picture below)

My sister has been looking at LVP and is leaning towards Floor and Decor's waterproof Nucore. It looks really nice - wondering if you looked into that one?

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@NJ Pegi Looks great! We looked at engineered wood but found that it didn’t have anywhere near the dent resistance that LVP does. But it certainly does do away with the pattern repeats problem! I literally have a cart full of pergo samples right now (anything that lists anything but matte for the finish, including their waterproof laminate out of desperation), so I’ll add what you got to the cart as well! Thank you! And congratulations!

Oh and we did look at nucore at one point, I think there was one non matte option at that time but it looked really poor quality ( unrealistic picture, no EIR, very thin). But it has been a long time so we can look again.

• NJ Pegi
    last year

My sister is looking at NuCore Deerfield Hickory. It's 8mm and very pretty but she's hesitant because when researching she heard that it might be made in China and may have some denting issues.

The Pergo WoodCraft is exclusive to Lowes and is supposed to be waterproof and have superior scratch and dent resistance, which is interesting since it is an "Engineered wood" https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=glenwood+springs+hickory 

• Jen Forristal
    last year

Has anyone looked at McMillian floors? I saw this on TT shortly after we chose Coretec ProPlus... then I started roughing up our sample and now I am going to cancel that and find something else. We are putting LVP in our new build (4000 sq ft). We have rowdy dogs and teens so I need something solid because our current hardwood has seen it's share of torture.

THE FLOORING FACTORY on TikTok

• Scotty D
    last year

McMillian sounds like a private label product for the Flooring factory, that is produced by one of the big manufacturers in China, it’s probably sold under many different names by other vendors. They do this for a few reasons, they might get a very good price on this product, they can oversell it’s good points to naive customers, like it’s something unique,
    it’s hard to do comparative shopping for the customer, so they can make a better margin. Remember, It’s easy to compare all the national brands, they all have the same product, price shopping is simple and that can save you money. Be careful about small or unique brands claiming that their product is superior to the National brands, it rarely is superior. Think about research and development, who has a budget for this, a little one off retailer pushing his own product or a multi billion dollar manufacturer? Just saying that most new products come from national brands who have the money to invest in the future, but not all, just most.

• Jen Forristal
    last year

Thank you for your feedback! That's really helpful advice. Flooring is the one thing I am really nervous about getting right.

• Carolyn Beecher
    last year

I should have investigated the hazy/dirty look andfootprint problem before going with Coretec Pro Plus in October, 2022. Spent 7,000$. The planks are actually beautiful, but looks very dirty and hazy with footprints (bare feet)right after cleaning it. I called customer support immediately after the install to make sure that I was caring for it and cleaning it properly so it wouldn’t get damaged. They recommended Coretec Encore cleaner. That is all that I have used. I left them a message about the dirty/ footprint problem and they responded that it may be due to a buildup of the wrong type of cleaner. But, like I said I have only used their brand and recommended cleaner-Encore. Now I only use water and it’s a little better but still looks filthy with the haze and footprints the next day. I believe it is due to a defective matte finish.

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

@User Thank you for posting the video! He’s right it’s industry-wide (not just Flooret), but it’s not the aluminum oxide coating (or at least not just) that’s to blame for the destructiveness. Our Coretec Berlin Pine is UV acrylic (no aluminum oxide) and it shreds. Or Our old Cali Bamboo is also coated with UV acrylic but it doesn’t shred at all. The only common denominator in the ones that we’ve tested is how matte the floor is.

• jaxairedale
    last year

Have you tried Mohawk RevWood Select - Boardwalk Collective - Sand Dune? If so, same abrasiveness?

• surrendertoflow
    Original Author
    last year

Tagging those in this post who have reported having/being aware of similar fabric/skin issues with destructively matte LVP: @umfoxm, @E Madsen, @Angela Wheat, @teamlog23, @Megan Philbin, @taradarnell, @lb913, @Richard Pozar

I'm writing to Consumer Reports to see if they are willing to take on this issue as it's apparently becoming more widespread (there were 20 just recently reporting this issue in just one FB post I commented on this week!). The manufacturers are largely ignoring or dismissing us, even those with kids with abrasions on their feet (as was happening in the FB post). I'm inviting you to join me in alerting CR in the hopes that if we all speak up at the same time, then maybe they will take it seriously and then THEY can do the tests for us (and hopefully will pressure the industry to take it seriously too so that future families won't suffer.)

Here is the link to the webpage with info on how to contact them (I'm contacting via email at tips@cro.consumer.org ):

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumer-protection/submit-a-tip-to-consumer-reports/#:~:text=Email%3A%20tips%40cro.consumer,Read%20more%20about%20encrypted%20email.)

• HU-35414193
    11 months ago

I’ve been following this thread and videos since we’re trying to determine whether to go with lvp or wood. Because this seems to be a matte issue on lvp, would non-matte lvp have any of the issues you’ve faced?

• jan002
    11 months ago

I’m so torn. I am so close to purchasing CoreTec LVP (Wheaton oak or Navarro oak) for my home, but after reading I am reconsidering. I am extremely cautious now and worried about wasting $15,000+. Any thoughts on laminate? Mohawk’s RevWood?

• Ellen in Texas
    11 months ago

@surrendertoflow I am so sorry to read of your dilemmas w/ the various flooring you have tried! You have helped to educate many of us here on this thread, so thank you. I am also looking to pull the trigger within a month or two on about 3000sf of LVP in our new build home. We are empty nesters but have a pool and a large dog so the vinyl appeals to us for those sorts of reasons. But now I am panicking a little bit after reading all of this!! I would go crazy if the floor didn't look clean, or if I could see footprints or dog paw prints all over it even after cleaning w/ approved products. I have real wood floors now and have that exact problem, and it drives me mad. Ironically, I was told that LVP was so much easier to clean - just sweep, mop w/ water, and voila, clean floors. But now I am wondering if that's true since so many are commenting on the difficulty of keeping them clean. I don't so much care about holes in socks although when the grand babies come to town for a visit, I imagine I would. Here are the specs of the one we are considering.

https://realwoodfloors.com/collections/reflections/ash-brown-6

I'm wondering if the ceramic bead top coat finish may make a difference?? ugh.

6mm (5mm + 1 mm IXPE Backing) THICK

IXPE Sound Barrier Pad

Embossed

Ceramic Bead Protective Top Coat Finish

20 mil Wear Layer

Unipush Locking System

• chispa
    11 months ago

@Ellen in Texas, I have never used LVP in a home, but we built in FL in 2021 on a slab foundation and I chose engineered wood floors. My three previous houses had site finished wood floors. I have 3 dogs, and two are 60 lbs each and do crazy runs through the house with leg/nails going a mile a minute. I did a fair amount of research and tested many engineered wood samples. My main tests were using a sharp object to scratch the floor and placing water and/or dog drool on the samples.

I ended up with an engineered wood floor from DuChateau (Riverstone Collection) with a Hard Wax Oil finish. We have been in the house 16 months and I'm very happy with the floors. Very resistant to scratches and no staining from dog drool, wet paws, dog vomit or a scalding full mug of tea that I spilled on the floor. If I had to pick again, I would choose this engineered wood floor again over the site finished wood floors in my previous houses.

• E Madsen
    11 months ago

Very nice engineeered hardwood also off the subject but what colorvus your wall paint? It looks great

• chispa
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

@E Madsen , the walls are BM White Dove and trim is BM Chantilly Lace.

• Mary Elizabeth
    11 months ago

@Ellen Jester,

I think i've posted earlier in this discussion, but will repeat myself here.

Have you looked at SuperCore?

It meets or exceeds all the specs you have listed. We've had ours down for 2 years. We live on a lake, and have 15 grandchildren (13 of them live within an hour of us).

To date - NOT a single knick or scratch in the LVP! We clean with a microfiber mop (dry) and damp mop with just a little Mr. Clean in warm water. No streaks, no film - just clean.

ZERO affiliation with the company - just extremely pleased with their product!

• John Pierce
    11 months ago

We installed 2600 sf of Happy Feet Pinnacle LVP in our new build and am very happy with it. i had read through this group many times prior but decided with grown kids it was more important to us to have a matte look and low maintenance than risk wearing out our socks. I definitely prefer the feel of natural wood under bare feet but this LVP is not wearing out our socks or our bare feet. So far it feels like a great decision. interesting anecdotal observation - when in our old house, which had hardwood throughout, when we laid out various LVP samples and left them there for a week, our dog stated laying on the Happy Feet sample section. Never the other samples. 🤔

• Lisa Fitzpatrick
    9 months ago

Do not use NuCore from Floor&Decor.

• Rosa Harris
    9 months ago

Supercore weshipfloors I installed 2 years ago and love

• Jill Preston
    9 months ago

Avoid Stanton Lenox Peak Blanca is all I can share with this group. Hope I helped someone. Going through a claim now. Awful. Never cleans. Good luck to all.

• melanie hamiel
    9 months ago

Has anyone ever used paramount? I was looking for a chevron or herringbone and found I could do straightboards and herringbone in the same color with Paramount. But I don't see any reviews of that brand! Thanks!

• Jill Preston
    8 months ago

Has anyone tried one of those steam cleaners on LVP flooring? They say you can as long as you don't leave it on one spot too long. Curious if this lifts the dirt out of those long crevices and enables you to suck or pull it to one end of the floor to wipe up?

Thank you very much.

Jill

• Jill Preston
    8 months ago

Has anyone tried one of those steam cleaners and did it lift out the dirt from those crevices? I've heard it is an option if you don't leave it on one place too long.

Thank you,

Jill

• Angela
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

We purchase Paramount and have had nothing but trouble with this floor. BUYER BEWARE https://www.paramountflooring.com/country-of-origin/ 

Beware of the process with this product. Terrible Company they don't even list a phone number to call...Hello!

• vkg2414
    3 months ago

Has anyone used Homecrest Cascade LVP? We're in process of getting our floor done & this thread is making me so nervous. We had almost locked Coretec Calypso but I guess not anymore. If anyone has any comments about Homecrest Cascade Lux series - Potomac, please share you opinion.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.