sbroten

MCM redwood ceiling restore.

sbroten
3 years ago

Help! After stripping / glass blasting the redwood ceilings, we are left with a mess! This recent purchase was sold as a tear - down and we're trying to resurrect a 1949 home that's a jewel and the home of our dreams. Sadly, the caulking between the tongue /groove is like cement and the texture is ROUGH. We have added walnut cabinetry, new black windows, charcoal colored marmoleum floors - love it all. But... the ceiling has us stuck. Should we sand it? How we need to seal it? If so, is there a product that will not darken the wood?
We appreciate any suggestions - this home is so lovely, full of soul.
Thanks, Sally

Comments (4)

• sbroten
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More photos - ideas, please.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I think what I might do is leave the redwood beams exposed and unpainted, but paint the planks in between white. Otherwise, you'll literally have to scrape out every crack between the planks. Not sure it's worth the time and effort to do that.

• PRO
    moico inc.
    3 years ago

I like the old paint peeking through. When you get up close it's not beautiful, but in context of the whole space, and with the brick I think it's perfect. In Europe this would be the norm in older spaces being restored. I love your house !!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

This might be too painful but could you paint the caulk brown? Once the ceiling gets stained or clear coated it would blend in?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.