irol96

99 colors of paint on the wall... please help!!

irol96
3 years ago

Ok, so I’m actually already past the 99 colors of paint on the wall, but sure enough that happened. I read. I researched. I considered my fixed elements (kitchen in particular, but red-toned floors too) I looked at camp chroma and home bunch and Houzz and Pinterest - and here I am.

Trim: white dove (looks gray?!?)
Walls: dove wing (looks yellow?!?)
Together: looks... ???

It’s driving me bonkers. FYI, it’s all open to each other - the eating area is open to the kitchen which leads to the family room.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If the suggestion is an alternate paint color, I prefer to change the walls than the trim.

Also, no furniture is necessarily a keeper at this point, so open to suggestions on layout, furniture, accessories, etc. I will say I’m partial to the rug...

Thank you so much for your help. Tell me - a what would you do?!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Madera Kitchen & Bath
    3 years ago

You do have very warm light in this space which is likely why the dove wing is pulling yellow. Maybe try Chantilly lace or even a brighter white like Decorators white. I’d recommend ordering a few peel and stick samples from www.hello-paint.ca they will be large enough to see the true color and they are easy to move around the room and gauge the change due to lights ect.

• irol96
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Madera. For the walls, trim
    Or both? I was under the impression because the room is warm (fixed elements) you are supposed to stay warm with your colors? When I tested samples before painting, all the grays I tried (pale oak, classic gray, revere pewter) looked so dull and lacked warmth or life - even tho I have seen what they can do in other peoples spaces. Is it the warm (Tuscan) fixed elements that are causing that too?

• HU-786049761
    3 years ago

The trim is beautiful and the white dove is great. Benjamin Moore's Classic Grey is warm and would give you some contrast to set off that pretty molding and also pull in the grey from the

rug that you are partial too. It could be lightened by 50% to give you a more subtle contrast yet still remain a true grey tone. The contrast itself will add the warmth and life you are looking for and be a lovely backdrop for whatever you add in terms of accessories, art, furniture etc.. Right now you basically have a beige piece of paper on top of a white piece of paper and its not very interesting. In terms of furniture arrangement, I would flip the sofa/chair arrangement so the sofa is facing the window and the lower height of the chairs don't block the windows. Furniture with a lower back height (30"-32") will make this room look much bigger and ceilings taller.

• pneb
    3 years ago

I think so too!

• irol96
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all, and @hu-786049761. We are currently in the hunt for new furniture and lower profile backs on the couch and chairs is part of the criteria, for sure. Your suggested heights is super helpful.

I will try classic gray at a lower %. I originally thought that’s what I would end up with but it was sooooo cold and so hard to take against my kitchen. I wanted white (warm white) trim with just a tad bit of warm contrast to get to the ethereal vibe @h d and @pneb are getting. Glad to know someone is! :)

I’m going to try variations of classic gray and maybe even monotone white dove. If I can find a color that will make the white dove less gray and warm I would be oh so happy.

Anyone else have color recommendations. No more than four would be my goal...

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

It looks good. Honestly. I’ve seen better but forsure have seen a whole lot worse. I’d do the upper half of the dining room walls in wallpaper. It will brighten the white.i loveeeee the rug sample on the right. I think you have a GREAT flair for this stuff and it looks very good. I’d do a sectional to cozy up the space. I also love that pouf that you brought in and the pillows... I think adding texture to the space will warm it up a lot

• irol96
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah, thank you :) I think you had me at wallpaper....

• Dana C.
    3 years ago

The dining area light fixture would look fabulous in your living area. I’d go White Dove on everything. Not sure what the carpet swatches are on the floor but go with the left and middle - large enough to have at least the front legs of furniture on them. Roman shades on the windows can add texture (and uniformity) A grasscloth wallpaper and pillows with texture also add variety texture. And a sheepskin or fur throw for winter! Happy decorating!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

@irol96 LOLLL Totaly!! I’m a wallpaper lover also!! 🤛

• cat_ky
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I dont much like all the white and neutral walls, that seem to be trend right now, but, I do think you could keep it the way it is, and add some color in accessories. Mainly it lacks interest and is just a bit boring. Everything is more or less the same color in there. Some colorful couch pillows, some colorful art on the wall, and some accessories will go along way to make the room look a lot better. Some drapery panels would help too.

• irol96
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all. I wanted to post a little more on my frustration. It feels like paint colors never turn out for me. Proof below - trim being white dove, walls being dove wing - neither look anything like their swatches.... (and I did sample, just didn’t work out for me regardless).

And yes - agree it’s all very dull. The furniture is all about 8 years old and I puttered out in decision making in trying to buy new stuff after we finished the reno (added pocket doors and windows in either side of fireplace, and bookshelves in the office on the opposite wall). So I’m open to suggestions and color is a great one, thank you!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Ugh. Yes. Totaly understood. The renovating is such a headache and pain. But really it looks great!!! We’ll find some art and some flowers, vases ... pretty books ... it’ll all come together and you’ll love it!!!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Do you appreciate greenery? Want to incorporate it somewhere? I saw someone do a sheet of boxwood plants inside of a molding. Meaning imagine in the dining room in every rectangle, boxwoods. It was BEAUTIFUL

• irol96
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any idea where I could find a pic of that? Tho honestly I’m lucky to have my children alive as I tend to forget to feed and water things. But I would LOVE to see that.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Hahaa. I’m going to look if I can find one. It was faux boxwoods. So no maintenance

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Having a hard time finding what I’m talking about but here’s a bit of inspo. Both photos need some tweaking but just for an idea

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Here’s another

• irol96
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Those are incredible!! I saw an installation once at Arhaus behind the counter and it was incredible. But... I live in an 80s colonial in the burbs and I’m not that brave. Think something like this in the dining would do the trick? Or am I just weak? :)

http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2013/04/succulent-wall-planter-2.html

• Jo Kendal
    last year

I love the color combos in your room! Id add black couches and some art work!

what did you wnd up doing? Any new photos to share?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.