michael_potatoes

Tricky juliet balcony blinds

Michael P
3 years ago

We've owned our 1990s flat for a year. We have a west-facing Juliet 'balcony' with an inwards-opening door. In the summer, the sun is intense from the late afternoon until sunset. The ambient temperature in the flat is fairly high, so the door needs to be open in order to maintain airflow.

The view from the window is fantastic and we don't want to block the entire vista with curtains for the entire evening when there's lots to see going on outside, when in reality it's only the top 1/3 of the window that needs to be obscured by the blinds

I have looked at Perfect Fit blinds and they are in all likelihood the best product for my needs, but it doesn't quite tick every box as I would love to have blinds that block the sun while the door is fully open. This would mean blinds that are independent of the door, and instead can be pulled down whether or not the door is open. The other factor is that whatever solution we choose must be able to withstand the breeze. Currently we're using Ikea Schottis (£3.50) blinds but they are not at all fit for purpose.

Based on my leasehold agreement I don't believe I'd be allowed to install external blinds.

Based on that, are there any solutions that aren't Perfect Fit that can be used whether or not the door is open?

Dimensions of the space is 174cm wide. There is a 3cm space between the top of the door and the wall. The material above the doorf may be hollow, so perhaps there is a recessed blind solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

We stayed in a holiday let that had bifold doors and it had little blinds that were fitted within the window panes rather like the picture below.

• cushioncover
    3 years ago

You can get external roller blinds which could shade the top third of the open door and windows

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.