shapirolh

Outlets on side of kitchen islands? Are there any other options?

LH CO/FL
4 years ago

So very often, I see a picture of a gorgeous kitchen island that is ruined by an electrical outlet on the side.

What creative and/or attractive options are there? Any reason not to put the outlets under the island overhang?

Comments (76)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

I did plug mold on the end.

• MizLizzie
    4 years ago

What David shows is called a Sillite. Lots of pictures here if you search. I used one in my Island for code and stained the cover brown. I used another in a tight spot in my backsplash, and painted it creamy yellow to match my Rixi backsplash. They are wonderful. Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Do we have space for a 5ft x 4ft kitchen island?

Q

Comments (8)
    I am sorry to say you don't have room. You are only giving yourself 36" in front of the ovens and only 31" for passage on the opposite side and 42" is not enough between the island and the sink. You might find a smaller 30" wide x 48" moveable stainless steel prep table and placed in the opposite direction, it might work for additional counter surface but not give you the seating you would like.
    ...See More

Any advice on how to make my kitchen work ?

Q

Comments (2)
    First and foremost we need to get you to declutter the space. Take and remove everything that you do not use on a weekly basis and store those items in the garage, pantry or closet. Once you have the room cleared you will have a better vision for what your needs really are. I would also remove the table and whatever is on the wall above it. There is a possibility you could use a smaller taller farm table as an island with a few stools that can slide underneath then add a few to the peninsula as well if you need that much seating in the space. My biggest pet peeve in kitchens is when the cabinets do not meet the ceiling. We all need as much storage space as we can get. The "display" area above cabinets is useless unless you have a fabulous collection of something to really show off. From your photo it appears you are only using it for extra storage. Perhaps you might find flush woven storage bins to use side by side for hidden storage (?) instead. Are you considering painting or staining your cabinetry and replacing counter tops? If so, you might want to consider a counter surface on the peninsula that hangs over on the side for added seating. Best of luck!
    ...See More

Any Help with updating kitchen greatly appreciated

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi guys, Leelee we are definitely doing the vintage bits on the wall. We actually have some vintage cereal boxes that we are planning on displaying on the shelves (filled with cereal of course)!. Sarainitaly - I'm investigating thenIkea planner but it's painful to work (or maybe it's just me!). Here's a pic of the walls totally painted green now. Think the shelves will look great along with some pictures dotted around. It's the cabinets now that will b a pain! BTW it was pure enthusiasm that stopped me waiting until the water heater came off the wall to paint - lol. I will have to paint the patch when it's off.
    ...See More

kitchen island design

Q

Comments (4)
    If you just want to perch there for a coffee then 200mm is better than nothing - it's a bit small an overhang to really get your knees under though ! 350mm is better ! If you post Your plan we might be able to see a way around it ?! Also your rough location (ie country ) as different guidelines Relate to different countries !
    ...See More
  • worthy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Receptacles without boxes may not be Code compliant.

The trouble with Plug Mold is that two or more kitchen appliances on one circuit can easily exceed the load and throw a breaker--or fuse, if anyone still has those.

As well, if the Plug Mold were installed in a new build, it might not pass for the same reason. Where I build, all counter receptacles must be on two separate circuits. So the typical four receptacles around the counters would require eight separate circuits.

For new builds, check with your electrical contractor before getting too creative!

LH CO/FL thanked worthy
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

This is what we did because we didn’t want it on the waterfall side.

LH CO/FL thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

In retrospect I guess the cover could have been silver or grey. But it’s not facing the room it’s on the side only the cook sees so meh

LH CO/FL thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I use the 3” filler piece it works the outlet is the as close as possible in color to work with the cabinets and honestly you really don’t see it. Is AS had done the outlet in dark gray you would not even notice it

LH CO/FL thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    4 years ago

If you are considering a plug mold it would be advisable to check first with your electrician. Depending upon your region they may not be permitted. Here, there is a restriction that no more than two duplex receptacles can be placed on a kitchen circuit, this circuit must be 20amp and the receptacles must be T-slot and tamper proof. If near a sink then they also need to be GFCI protected, yes one can always use a GFCI breaker but these breakers are $100 or more versus a $15 GFCI receptacle, also if the breaker trips you have to go to the panel to reset it. If you are mounting the plug mold on an island face and your cabinetry is full overlay then you will need to add a horizontal blank face, this will raise the overall height of the island unless you want to pay extra to have all the lower cabinetry customized.

LH CO/FL thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm really liking the look of some of the color-matched outlets and placement on the working side of the island. Again - so many great options that I hadn't known about, so again, thank you all!

• nhbaskets
    4 years ago

Our working side solution.

LH CO/FL thanked nhbaskets
  • just_janni
    4 years ago

Plugmold can be ordered in 2 circuit, as well as GCFI variants.

LH CO/FL thanked just_janni
  • Chris
    last year

Just in case anyone finds this old thread, It is 2023 and NEC no longer allows side outlets. You can NOT place an outlet below the countertop height, period. No exceptions.

It seems that many small children have pulled the cord and dropped small appliances on their heads.

• jdesign_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

Cris what is allowed by code in an island then. Only pop-up outlets?

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    last year

Well look at that.

A GFCI update removes the distance limitation between kitchen receptacle outlets and the sink. All receptacles in kitchen now need GFCI. Kitchen island countertop receptacles must be pop-ups installed in the countertop surface, not under the edge of the countertop.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Just in case anyone finds this old thread, It is 2023 and NEC no longer allows side outlets. You can NOT place an outlet below the countertop height, period. No exceptions."

Citation please.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I still think my suggestion eliminates all the problems . . . well, almost all the problems.

LH CO/FL thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

NEC 2023

ENHANCED CONTENT
    If a receptacle is installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop, it must be GFCI protected and installed based on Option 1 or Option 2 as depicted in in the exhibit below. Option 1 permits the receptacle to be installed above the countertop within an elevated backsplash space, but not more than 20 inches above the countertop. Option 2 allows the receptacle to be installed within the countertop surface within a listed assembly as specified in 210.52(C)(3)(1) and (2). If Option 1 or Option 2 is not selected at the time of installation, the NEC requires a default to Option 3, which requires a provision to be added at the island so a receptacle could be installed in the future. One means of accomplishing Option 3 could be installing a junction box, with the appropriate NEC-required small-appliance branch circuit, located within the island or peninsular cabinet space.

Third post down.

• chispa
    last year

We built in 2021 and I asked my electrician for the most "invisible" outlet I could place on the side of the island cabinet. I did not want anything through the counter. I think it came out pretty well.

• PRO
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    last year

I was the original poster, and we ended up with color-matched outlets just under the overhang of the island. Unless you are looking for them, totally hard to see, but also I've found them to be quite convenient as a central place to plug in the vacuum -- the cord reaches the entire great room from there.

I am SO glad we didn't put it on the ends, put it on the cabinet side, or worse, have to cut into my gorgeous countertop to put in an outlet.

Interesting that NO outlets is now an option too. What a drastic shift from that formula requiring a number of outlets based on sq/footage.

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    last year

• PRO
  • chispa
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect , since you weren't there, you wouldn't know that that is the side of a 3-drawer cabinet base. The electrician used the smallest profile box he could find and that is the best spot where that slim outlet box would actually fit.

• res2architect
    last year

Although the wording is sloppy and open to contrary interpretation, it appears the intent of the 2023 NEC is to not allow receptacle outlets below an island countertop but its OK to not have any receptacle outlets serving an island and, in that case, provisions must be made for a future receptacle outlet in the island (whatever that means). Any optional island receptacle outlets must be assemblies listed for use in countertops.

So, its basically no outlets with a future provision or any number of pop-ups.

I'm sure it will change in 2026.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

Code requirements vary from state to state. I believe most states have adopted the 2018 International Residential Code (IRC) and a couple have adopted the 2021 IRC. Here's the requirement for receptacle outlets at islands from the 2018 IRC:

E3901.4.2 Island countertop spaces

At least one outlet shall be installed at each island countertop space with a long dimension of 24" or greater and a short dimension of 12" or greater.

The 2021 IRC has a more sensible requirement for island receptacles which is based on the area of the island. You'll need one for the first 9 sq. ft. of island top area plus one for every additional 18 sq. ft. or fraction thereof.

• cpartist
    last year

I've been in my house 4 years now and because of code at the time, we did have to have an outlet on the island. I put in plug mold as I stated above, just under my overhang on the side no one would see. In the four year's I've had the plug mold, I have not used it even once.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

We have a plug on our island and I use it all the time. It’s on the cupboard side and not visible to most. I plug on small appliances a the time there and do a lot of prep and work on the island. Love it

• cpartist
    last year

That's the difference. I have my cleanup sink and DW on the island and my prep space in along the perimeter between prep sink and cooktop so really no need to have put in the outlet except for code at the time.

• mcarroll16
    last year

We've also got plug mold under the countertop edge, and it's super useful. An island is a great place for "steamy" small appliances like rice cookers and waffle makers. DH loves prepping on the island and plugging in the immersion blender on those outlets. A popup in the same zone would make the work area less convenient. Glad we got our kitchen done before the code change.

• res2architect
    last year

The electrical provisions of the IRC are in Part VIII (Ch 34 -43) which is taken verbatim from the previous year's NEC as explained in Ch 34.

So, the 2018 IRC electrical provisions are from the 2017 NEC, the 2021 IRC electrical provisions are from the 2020 NEC and when issued, the 2024 IRC electrical provisions will be from the new 2023 NEC.

However, many states modify the IRC by substituting the state Electical Code for Part VIII of the IRC. Therefore, the applicable electrical code could be an older version of the NEC or the most recent.

In my state, the residential building code is based on the 2015 IRC with part VIII replaced with the state electrical code which is based on the 2020 NEC but the new NEC could be adopted at any time.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

@mcarroll16 exactly. I don’t want anything steamy near my upper cabinets. Island is perfect spot for instant pot, slow cooker, waffle maker and paninis! So glad we have that. I also love prepping at my island and looking out at the dining and living areas or outside. I never prep at the other spaces, despite there being tons of counter, because I prefer to look out. I guess I do sometimes do something right beside the stove like bread chicken or whatever but that’s it. All else on island.

• chispa
    last year

That is why I never posted my kitchen plans! We all work differently in our kitchens. I have a good size kitchen and a prep sink in my island, but I never prep at the island. I do everything on the 2 ft of counter to the right of my main sink, always have, in every single house! That is also my clean-up area. My mother works in the kitchen the same way! Slow cooker simmering on the island, is also the only time I use that outlet on the island.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

There is the train of thought of not providing electrical outlets in the island, and using the crock-pot cord draped across the aisle to hang the dishtowels over.

• res2architect
    last year

That's not until 2024.

• Joseph Babcock
    last year

The best idea I’ve seen is in this video, angled under counter:

https://youtu.be/rRBkk_GGeos

• Joseph Babcock
    last year

Another good one:

https://youtu.be/FlsAk7-Q9Zc

LH CO/FL thanked Joseph Babcock
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    last year

@chispa -- that's my favorite spot too. In our Florida kitchen, that spot blocks the trash, dish cabiner and silverware drawer, but I can see the ocean out the window and it's next to the only sink. In the CO house (pictured) we made it a point to put all the essentials out from under my favorite spot. :)

• nhb22
    last year

We do the same as chispa and LH CO/FL. LOL In every house/kitchen we have had, DH and I seem to drift toward the right side of the sink. With our new house, we do have more than 2' to the right, but still mostly use the 2' right next to the sink. Standing there blocks the trash cabinet, and can limit access the drawer microwave, the toaster oven, the silverware drawer, and the cabinets where we keep our medicine and cereals.😁 That area really only gets congested in the morning.

I had fully intended on using the island for prep, but did not want a sink because I knew we would not use it. Other than making cheese straws during the holidays, other uses for the island have been for mail to pile up on (which I hate), a buffet serving area for events, grandchildren projects, and to do ironing on for my sewing projects.

When we started building two years ago, code only required one outlet. I debated on which side of the island I wanted it on. We did look at hiding it under the counter near the bar stools, but somehow that did not happen. I ended up picking the opposite end of the island where we come into the house from the garage and mudroom. I did not want to see it as I walked into the house. What I did not think through was visitors coming to my side door more than they use the front door. Guess what the first thing is that they see? The end of the island with the electrical outlet! Since my cabinets are white, and the outlet is white, I do not think it looks too bad. I am thankful that we were able to have an outlet in the island and not have to do a pop up on top.

chispa - Did you ever show photos of your kitchen in the monthly Building a Home forum?

• Jean
    last year

A general question - does anyone know if is it allowed code-wise to have a drop-front panel hiding the outlet in an island? Or the opposite, a lift up panel, behind which is the outlet? For example, in nhb's island, could that receptacle have been hidden behind a cabinet panel? Just curious. Brainstorming...

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    last year

Jean, code has changed -- you don't need one at all.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

@LH CO/FL,

I think you've been misinformed. The current Florida residential building code is based on the 2018 IRC which requires a receptacle outlet at a kitchen island. The code citation can be found earlier in this thread. The next code cycle (2021 IRC) provides a formula for the number of receptacle outlets required based on the area of the island with a minimum of one receptacle. I can't foresee any future version of the code requiring less than one receptacle outlet at an island which is intended to preclude the scenario Mark Bischak so entertainingly described.

• LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Charles. This thread is almost 3 years old. This was for a build in Colorado, which was following the 2020 codes. They allowed us to put two outlets just under each side the bar area of our island, inside of 6" from the outer edge. Someone brought this up this week because the code was changed, if not yet adopted anywhere. Thanks!!!

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

@LH CO/FL,

You stated that the code has changed and that no receptacle is required. The 2018 IRC and the 2021 IRC both require a minimum of one receptacle outlet at an island. Would you kindly state the year and section of whatever statewide building code that doesn't require a receptacle outlet at an island?

• mcarroll16
    last year

Joseph Corlett posted the code change above. NEC 2023 210.52. I believe Washington state is planning to make the change. We had our electrical final inspection in November, and the inspector confused our electrician by telling him that outelts in islands were no longer necessary at all.

• Amy Wms
    11 months ago

Here in my city in Kansas we have to have not one but two in an island! And they have to be within 6” of the counter and we have a 12” overhang on 3 sides. What a mess!

LH CO/FL thanked Amy Wms
  • LH CO/FL
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Amy Wms - when we were building the code was similar to that. We were lucky to have ours under the overhang, and also found outlets/covers that blend in with our cabinets. Check with your builder and electrician to see if they plan to adopt the new 2023 NEC codes before you install anything.

• Susan Davis
    11 months ago

I have seen outlets put in drawers in bathroom....could that be a possible application?

Bathrooms · More Info

LH CO/FL thanked Susan Davis
  • User
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Concealed outlets do not meet the requirement. They can be in addition to, but are not a substitute for.

The 2023 Code about no outlets will be recinded before it is ever adopted by most municipalities. It is a terrible alteration to the code. In addition, municipalities can choose to not adopt sections of it, or to require a more restrictive parameter.

LH CO/FL thanked User
  • HU-918119203
    11 months ago

We went through the "only pop up outlets" scare. That was then clarified that you did not need to have an outlet at all. That was then clarified to you can have an outlet as long as it isn't under an overhang. I'm putting outlets in drawers, which is apparently okay. Lesson is talk to your local building inspector/permit office to figure out what is going on.

They will never, ever adopt a code requiring pop up outlets in islands. People would revolt, and rightfully so.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.