djahlm

Small Bathroom Update

djahlm
4 years ago

With a lot of Houzz help, we’ve redone our dining room, family room and living room. The advice and expertise on this site has been SO helpful to me; I’m hoping to get the same kind of help on this bathroom redo.

Everything is going, other than the tub and toilet, which are a bone color. Pictures of the floor and wall tile that we like are shown below. Also, we’re considering the vanity below.

I need help deciding :

*What should go above the toilet - art, shelves, towel bar?

*Where should the toilet paper holder go? Wall next to toilet or on the side of the vanity?

*Should all the walls be tiled or can the window wall be painted?

*If no towel bar above toilet should I have a hand

towel ring and where should I put it?

Comments (35)

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Could I put a small towel bar for hand towels behind the door?

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Hi, djahlm. Did that used to be this bath?

The one you called the boring bath?

Maybe you could fill out your bathroom ideabook a little more...

djahlm thanked groveraxle
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One and the same, Grover. :)) I’ve looked at Houzz bathrooms, but I’m not seeing any “ordinary” bathrooms, like ours. Do you think the tile colors would work? Not sure if you remember, but you found that shower curtain which I purchased back in like 2018 because I loved it; still do!

• tatts
    4 years ago

You must have been in other bathrooms in your life. What did you like and what didn't work.

This isn't a public space that's on view by anyone. Do what works for you in that space. Mount the TP where you want it to be. These aren't issues that have right or wrong answers.

Want shelves above the toilet? Put shelves above the toilet. You'll pull the wet towel out of the toilet bowl, not us.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I would tile toilet and vanity wall. Paint window wall. Can you do hooks or rod for bath towels behind door or a hook near shower? Small hand towel ring on wall by vanity?

djahlm thanked Gcubed
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Gcubed. I was trying to decide if the window wall would look weird without tile. Towel bar inside the tub/shower area. We had a hand towel bar above the toilet, but I’m not sure I want to do that again. Maybe a towel ring as you suggest.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ummm, thanks, Tatt? If my dilemma rubs you the wrong way, please feel free to scroll on.

• LT Dub
    4 years ago

Djahlm — I totally get it! Sometimes it is hard to make those small decisions and any help or feedback really helps! :-)

djahlm thanked LT Dub
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, I added some ideas to my bathroom idea book. We currently have a medicine cabinet, but I don’t see anything I like so we’ll probably just replace it with a mirror.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a couple of those super-small bathrooms and they are somewhat challenging to make "look pretty."

I put some glass shelves over the toilet and then put pretty things on them that I don't care if get an occasional splash-back or should inadvertently end up in the bowl. :)

I had to put a hand towel over the bowl in one bathroom as there was literally no where else to mount one. I know that skeeves some people out. Too bad. :) Sometimes the best you can do is close the bowl when you flush and wash the hand towel a lot. So this is a glass display shelf with a towel holder built in....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Cassidy-18-in-Glass-Bathroom-Shelf-with-Towel-Bar-in-Chrome-79710/204296357

djahlm thanked User
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Patriceny, yes, close bowl and flush; I’ve taught all the grandkids to do that. I like the idea of the glass shelves, too. I just saved one to my Ideabook.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Just because your bathroom WAS ordinary doesn't mean you have to keep it that way. Are you keeping the tub surround? If so, consider painting that tile so its color doesn't constrain your choices.

Of the bathrooms in your ideabook, my fave would probably be this:

Cheyne Walk Project · More Info

It could use a bit less mirror, I think. But it's sleek and simple with only two colors, both neutral.

You could consider adding some super modern touches for storage:

Cipriani Hall Bath · More Info

Refurbishment Bryanston Square · More Info

Or go all bone and black...

Art Deco 4-Story Home Renovation · More Info

• PRO
    Kermans Flooring
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

When it comes to deciding on the tile, take a look at our free Buyer's Guide for advice on different types and levels of care for your bathroom flooring.

https://go.kermans.com/tile-buyer-guide

djahlm thanked Kermans Flooring
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, the tile in the tub/shower is also being replaced. The last picture is the overall look that I’m trying for. Our bone colored tub and toilet aren’t as white as those in that picture.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the previous rendering of our bathroom that you did, Grover. Of course, we’re replacing the vanity, mirror, tile, light etc. but I still like this look that you created.

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We‘re ready to begin tiling the bathroom tub/shower area. I can’t decide whether to put a soap dish on the wall or skip it this time. Does anyone have an opinion on that? Alternative suggestions? Any suggestions for shampoo/conditioner holders?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

No opinion on soap dish or shampoo holders, but...what are you doing about waterproofing under the new tile?

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover, Dens Shield backer board followed by a sealer. Sound right?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Here's a good article on waterproofing. DensShield is only one step above greenboard.

https://www.diytileguy.com/shower-tile-backer-board/

• happyleg
    4 years ago

If you use a bar soap then put it back on the wall unless she don't like it

djahlm thanked happyleg
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

djahlm thanked katinparadise
  • djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The bathroom is done...

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• djahlm
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

It looks wonderful! Congratulations!

djahlm thanked katinparadise
  • m_gabriel
    4 years ago

Really pretty!

djahlm thanked m_gabriel
  • kulrn
    4 years ago

Very nice djahlm! I love your house! It's been fun watching you transform your rooms. Btw, Where's groveraxle?!?

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Nice job.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.