sam_potter37

Washable alternative to coir door mat

Sam Potter

I recently got a 'dream' fitted coir door mat for my lobby. And the dog weed on it. It stained really badly, and only after the usual scrubbing with detergent, waiting a couple of weeks for it to dry, and even trying a hairdryer on it, I realised its not a wet patch, it's a stain exactly like a wet patch. I am resigned to the fact that my middle aged dog probably won't get over her habit of weeing on the mat when she feels neglected or can't be bothered to trek to the back yard. So... What's a good alternative fitted surface? It doesn't need to be machine washable, but I need to be able to scrub it and have it dry without staining. The space is 1m x 1.5m.

OnePlan

Is it worth getting a shallow pebble /litter tray to go in the area where the wee happens. ie cut that bit off, install the shallow ‘litter’ tray and use the rest of the Matt as a normal door mat still ? Or is it bang central ?

Top Answer
  • Sonia
    last modified: 9 months ago

I assume the mat sits in a dip at the front door? How about finding a scrubbable carpet offcut and asking the carpet shop to cut it to size and then whip round the edges, creating a door mat? My sister had a hall rug and mat made up that way in a Crucial Trading carpet. It’s made of wool but has that rustic roughness and is scrubbable and pretty tough. Mind you, with elderly pets a machine washable mat would be ideal.

• Jonathan

Consider a gel mat instead

• Sam Potter

I'll go and have a look at all those options. I thought maybe fake grass?

• Sam Potter

Here's a pic BTW. Tragic.

OnePlan

Oh that’s such a shame.

• margretg2

Unnatural Flooring makes sisal that looks just like the real thing (I know because there's a shop near my home in Bath that sells it). It can be washed and even bleached. Have a look

• Sam Potter

Hi margretg2,
    Thanks, what a very useful product! I didn't know it was a thing.

• margretg2

You're most welcome, Sam.