lkboken

outdoor tv north jersey/nyc

NYCish
4 years ago

Is there anywhere someone can go to actually view different models of outdoor TVs in person? Ie, different levels of Sunbrite or alternative brands like skyvue or mirage. Open to nyc, north jersey. They are special order/non-returnable at B&H

Alternatively, if anyone can offer their real-life experiences of any of those makes or models, it would be appreciated! Obviously sunbrite is the Kleenex of outdoor TVs. We need something for at least part shade to full
Sun. Looking at 43” signature series sunbrite. Our backyard is relatively small: 22x40’ and the viewing area where people will actually sit to watch tv is probably a third of that.

There are uuuuge price differences in the sunbrite models but just want to ensure it’s not all fake news.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    4 years ago

So the different Sunbrite models are going to depend on 3 different scenarios (1) outdoor but full shade (2) partial sun but mostly shade and (3) all sun. Price goes up from 1-3 in that order. The reason for this is the ventilation system, build materials, LCD screen, etc is different for each. All are going to be more expensive than the indoor models you would see at a Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc as they don't have to meet the same requirements for outdoor use. I personally have the Sunbrite SB-4217HD-SL in my backyard near my BBQ and love it. It does require a separate outdoor rated soundbar you can mount above or below it. It's a specialty TV so you can't be as critical about picture quality as you would your main TV in your Living Room if you have a 4k OLED or similar. However, it's picture quality is solid and outdoor TV watching is a great experience.

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@mtvhike they aren’t displayed in store there or else I would have, obviously.

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@technospeak corporation thank you. Yeah we have audio and outdoor speakers going into the yard and a receiver for the TV set up already (we are doing all this via a local AV company and everything is being wired). The tv will actually be mounted on an exterior wall of the house.

We definitely are going to go with a dedicated tv designed for outdoor use. But there is another brand that I’ve read only online reviews about but no real world experience.

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@technospeak corporation so the tv would be mounted on a swivel tilt but west facing. Obviously late afternoon sun/glare but it’s really for 1-2 hours in summer that it is directly and reallllly sunny. So not sure if that is enough to constitute buying the full-sun “pro”.

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    4 years ago

NYCish-- if the TV will experience full sun on the LCD screen you need the pro. The partial and full shade LCD panels will go black to protect themselves if too much direct sunlight shines on the screen. That's not ideal as it means your picture will go black. One other thing just so you know-- the outdoor TVs are much thicker than their indoor counterparts to account for the extra equipment inside. They can be 2-3" deep. Just thought I would let you know as it is not obvious in pics.

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@technospeak corporation THANK YOU. That is really very helpful regarding the screen shutting off. Everyone to this point has just said “well, you need sunbrite” without explanation and then suggested the most expensive model. To be fair, we are buying most of the TVs ourselves and our av guy is on vacation so I’ve yet to pick his brain, but this pretty much answers our question.
    But to buy this my husband now has to “sacrifice” and get the two Samsung c8s instead of c9s. I think he will survive.
    Many thanks!!

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@technospeakcorporation since you are so helpful, do you have opinions on denon heos? That is what we are leaning towards for whole house audio. Our av guy uses denon for amps but sonos for multiroom players but we are leaning towards heos providing the amp and software solution.

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    4 years ago

In our experience HEOS can be a bit unstable at times, have some audio sync issues, require occasional hardware reboots etc. With Sonos you have none of that, but Sonos is a bit more expensive than HEOS is. I would recommend you invest in Sonos over HEOS. Denon is great but I would add Sonos to that just as your AV installer is recommending.

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@technospeak corporation wanted to circle back. We decided to go with denon receivers and sonos amps/connects. I worked on my husband a bit..he was the same way with Apple devices: resistant at first until he learned just how easy they just “work”. I want this setup to just “work” and not need any futzing. And I found 3 sonos amps at a military base exchange, sealed, never used on sale for $189. That sealed the deal for him. Ha.

• PRO
    Technospeak Corporation
    4 years ago

Wow congrats!!! That’s a deal for 3 sonos connect amps. How do you like everythin?

• NYCish
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@technospeak corporation we haven’t moved in yet. It is still under construction. But my husband of course couldnt wait and hooked up one at our current place and loved it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.