firsttimerrenovater

Would you use quartz countertops in a mid-high end rental?

Rent will be in the 3k's. I am not confident about spending $6k on something that can crack if you set a hot pot on it a couple times by accident, or intentionally getting it off the stove. I think Quartz is great for a flip or when selling but this property has specifically been remodeled with long term rent in mind.

Comments (21)

• Hillside House
    4 years ago

Soapstone is the only stone that’s heat resistant.

I would hesitate to put wood or marble counters in a rental, but nothing else would even faze me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Anyone with 3k to spend on a rental, (unless a group of four guys sharing) should be fairly easy to "pre screen". A security deposit would be the norm, would it not? A 3 k renter wants a decent looking kitchen, decent bath. Build in the POTENTIAL damage in all regards and call it a day. Or don't rent it at all. Very few folks crack quartz. Their own, or that of another.

firsttimerrenovater thanked JAN MOYER
  • jmm1837
    4 years ago

People have been living in rentals with laminate counters for decades, and the counters (mostly) survive. Quartz is a durable surface (not bullet proof but then almost nothing is) and its low maintenance. Security deposits and decent insurance should take care of the rest.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

I'd spend on something else...not due to fear but there are certain things like better lighting flooring window treatments upgraded fridge/dishwasher closet storage systems /fresh paint that will actually make the place desired. Formica or corian or granite or quartz will not appeal any more/less to potential renter. When there are so many things you can do I cant figure why youd go above a good basic corian/Formica even.

• firsttimerrenovater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Herb, it's pretty much a total redo so EVERY appliance is brand new. The entire house will be primed and painted. The floors are new. I absolutely disagree about ignoring countertops - they make a big difference particularily with the bold designs of quartz. Maintaining this price point for years to come means there has to be a wow factor with future renters as well.

• PRO
    Gem Marble and Granite Corp
    4 years ago

We do many projects where quartz is being used for a flip or homeowners looking to sell and want something "new". It is a barebones investment as the product is safe from a design standpoint. We often end up ripping out kitchens with quartz later with the new homeowner to put in granites, quartzites, soapstones and marbles. All 4 natural stone species are resilient and can handle heat. Stones properly sealed can withstand years of use and abuse if designed properly. Quartz can't handle heat and one scald of a hot pot and the surface is ruined. There is no coming back from this as the manufacturer warranty cites the fabricator can not manipulate the surface of the stone or it voids the warranty.

Also when it comes to luster granite and quartzite can't be beat, no quartz can hold a candle to these natural products in terms of the high sheen.

- Joseph E. Bellone

Senior Project Manager

Gem Marble & Granite Corp

30+ years in the trade

• hollybar
    4 years ago

I put quartz in one property because the kitchen is on the dark side, otherwise granite. (because I find it cheaper and no I am not doing speckly 90's style) And while the quartz is only on its second tenant,seems to be fine. We've had no problem finding or retaining renters or any requests for a countertop change. Good luck! (sorry I couldn't give a more definitive answer)

• Helen
    4 years ago

Put in granite - there are many bullet proof granites that aren't the ubiquitous Uba Tuba or Baltic Brown that people associate with granite. Without knowing the rest of the decor, it's hard to make a specific recommendation.

Most screened renters aren't going to deliberately damage surfaces so you might leave them with simple care instructions. I had apartments with formica counters years ago and I never burned them or scratched them because I followed simple precautions like using a trivet and not cutting on the surface.

Or put in quartz if you think that look is going to attract renters more quickly than other counter surfaces. Normal wear and tear is built into the rent you charge in addition to specific damage caused that is beyond normal wear and tear.

• L thomas
    4 years ago

Before we bought our home in Detroit, we lived in three different rentals in Seattle. Rents were all in the mid to high 3k/month. All three had quartz.

firsttimerrenovater thanked L thomas
  • firsttimerrenovater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

JAN- Years would be 15. I agree with quartz not being "timeless" because it isn't natural stone, and from looking at it in person , the lower price points that come out to under $60 sq ft aren't that impressive. But for the next decade it will be seen as desirable enough to push renters with options towards it, in this particular neighborhood. It's the big house on the lot as well. These will be families. Are materials like soapstone going to withstand abuse or mistakes from kids , placing a hot pot on it straight out of the oven where things bake at 400-450 degrees? That's my biggest risk concern here with quartz, not straight up abuse, but the mistakes that happen that granite does a great job of withstanding.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Soapstone is more impervious to heat than granite.But I would not put new soapstone in a rental because there is a period where it needs to treated. (we had to do ours about once a month the first year, then less and now, maybe every two years)

firsttimerrenovater thanked hollybar
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Do quartz. But have stainless steel trivet rods inserted into routs next to the stove. Force them to use a trivet!

firsttimerrenovater thanked User
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Soapstone is what is used in labs. Remember your biology and chemistry lab classes in HS and the surfaces on the tables? That was soapstone.

Soapstone is beautiful and much more impervious to mistakes.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"All 4 natural stone species are resilient and can handle heat."

The Natural Stone Institute, the 70-year-old stone industry trade association, disagrees and recommends the use of trivets on all natural stone. Page 4.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

try pre-fab granite countertops. that's what we put in our flip house/turned rental. Pre-fabs are cut in 8 or 9' lengths, 24" finished edges. they also come in 4x6 for islands.

they come in granite, quartz or marble and start at $350 for one 9' countertop

(oh, and i put hot pans on my granite w/no issue)

hire a fabricator to fit it to your kitchen. won't be anywhere near 6K.

firsttimerrenovater thanked Beth H. :
  • jess1979
    4 years ago

We have several rentals and quartz in all of them. So far we have not had any problems with the quartz counters and it has been many years. We have more problems with damage to the walls and appliances.

• firsttimerrenovater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth H. That's what I've been looking into - just came back from a supplier. My initial issue with granite was the noise (that wouldn't work with the space and paint etc) but I've found better options that are grade 3,4,5 etc. The grade 1-3's I've seen aren't worth the much lower price for this space. Right now I like Alaskan White Granite, pre fab, but that comes out to $4k. I can get level 1-2's for $2,000 installed, but it isn't worth it. I'm only looking at buying by the sq ft, which is generally pre fab, rather than buying 2 stones with waste (I have 75 sq ft of countertop w/ Island).

• cpartist
    4 years ago

(oh, and i put hot pans on my granite w/no issue)

You may put that on your counters with no issues for now or it may become an issue in the future.

Frankly, I'd trust Joseph Corlett's advice on this over yours since he was a fabricator for many years and he now spends his days fixing granite counters that have cracked because people put their hot pans and pots on their granite countertops.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

We are in the same boat, thinking eventual rental for our new remodel. Renters in our area definitely expect high-end materials, and in return, landlords expect high-end security deposits. I'm pretty sure most renters would walk out laughing if they saw a Formica countertop.

I love The Cook's Kitchen suggestion for built-in stainless steel trivets by the stovetop. THANK YOU!

p.s. I adore soapstone, just wish the Earth could get it together and produce it in lighter colors! :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

cp,,,i've had my granite 14 yrs. I don't put hot pans on there daily, but once in awhile I take a pot off the stove and let it sit on the countertop if a trivet isn't handy. I realize each stone is diff, but, I was saying for my granite and my experience, it's fine. (usually the darker granites are more forgiving). I've sprayed bleach cleaner on it and have spilled everything you can think of on that countertop. it's bulletproof. some granites are. too bad I'm sick of this look and am redoing everything. it's been a good stone.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.