lauren_mallery

FL Building Codes Windows

Lauren Mallery
5 years ago
My home is in desperate need of new windows. However, I just found out that I am in a high wind area and therefore have to have impact windows or storm shutters. I can't afford impact windows and I can't afford to pay someone to install storm shutters. So my question is, what are the requirements for storm shutters, and what is the most affordable option? Can the fabric type window covers be used? What do they look for when approving window shutters? I'm thinking that hurricane shutters are not on at all times so technically couldn't I just install the panel that they attach to? How would anyone know if I don't actually have the shutters? I understand why the code is what it is but I survived direct hits from both Matthew and Irma with just plywood and did just fine, even with heavy debris hitting one of my windows during Matthew. I honestly can't afford much more than just the cost of regular windows but my home absolutely needs new windows asap. Any recommendations?

Comments (10)

• Lauren Mallery
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    To add to my question, how much do new windows typically affect resale value? And what about storm shutters or impact windows?
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

I would spend the available monies, either putting on the shutters, or putting in as many of the impact windows as you can. It is a safety issue, and it is code; Then I would caulk the remaining windows to at least make them waterproof, until more money became available, and finish them up one by one It is great for resale, should you ever want to sell, and it is certainly safer for you.

• User
    5 years ago

A house that doesn't have impact windows has a very tough time in the market where they are required. You can't afford to not put in impact windows if you have to have windows.

Unless you want to sell as is right now? You'll take a hit on sale price, but not as big a hit as you would putting in impact windows and then selling. People are quick to deduct money for not having something, but you never ever get the price of putting in something that is required or needed.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Speak with a local glazier. Code and regulations change by town and country. In my county, permits are needed to change windows and/or doors with glass. Inspections are necessary after install and the inspector will not pass a house that does not have the required Fl statute safety requirements.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    you truly need to speak to the local building official.
    your plywood, with oreinstalled fasteners, may be enough. or not. it depends on your county, and city codes.
    some places, you can replace one or two windows without a permit. in others, it's a huge fine.
    you may get a good insurance reduction with proper windows and/ or shutters.
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

And to piggy back on what Olivia said. What happens if you don't upgrade with wind impact windows or shutters and the next time the plywood doesn't work? Do you think your insurance will cover your windows if you don't do what is required by code?

• Lauren Mallery
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm going to call the code office on Monday to see if I can replace just a couple without a permit but I'm pretty confident that I can't. As far as resale, I don't think that lack of impact windows would hurt me because probably only about 5% of the houses in my neighborhood have hurricane shutters and I doubt that any have impact windows. My neighborhood is older and didn't require impact windows until 2012. So my concern is that there won't be any return. The cost of impact windows is probably about 10% of the total value of my house. Does anyone have experience with installing hurricane shutters yourself?
  • wdccruise
    5 years ago

When our condo replaced its windows, we considered at many products. Window prices varied all over the place and Provia Endure were the lowest priced (it turned out that we couldn't install vinyl windows in our historic district neighborhood so we couldn't buy them). You might want to get a quote from a Provia dealer before you go the shutter route.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    and, as i said before, your 1/2 inch plywood panels, precut and drilled, with approved fasteners preinstalled, may be enough to satisfy your county and/or city. I think it's still good in our county, as long as the panels are stored onsite, and fasteners are installed in proper manner. it's certainly a less expensive solution than impact windows, or power shutters.
  • PRO
    Evolution Hurricane Shutters, LLC
    4 years ago

Both the OP and the posters bring up very valid points.

1. protection costs
    2. resale value
    3. code compliance
    4. effectiveness/performance
    5. options/alternatives

Costs: Good impact windows cost good money. They still break and are expensive to replace

Resale: If you buy good quality aluminum framed impact windows, they will improve the value of your home. If you buy vinyl (pvc plastic) framed windows, you need to hope that your prospective buyer doesn't know that their lifespan won't last as long as the mortgage. A savvy homebuyer will beat you down knowing that they will need to replace them A LOT sooner than aluminum ones.

Code: Window folks will almost always recommend new windows - it's how they make money. The whole purpose of hurricane product testing is to allow the homeowner a choice in how they make their home hurricane compliant. If it has an approval number, you're entitled o use it and receive insurance discounts.

Effectiveness: Here's where the real work is! Make sure and do your homework and research, research, research! Both The State of Florida and Miami Dade impact testing requirements for windows ONLY address resistance to projectile penetration, wind load and cyclic testing. They do NOT address resistance to breakage or resistance to water penetration. Just because your brand new, uber-expensive impact windows won't blow out, that doesn't mean that they won't let water in. Coming home to thousands in water damage when the windows look perfectly fine might not be what you expected considering how much they cost.

Options: In my book. plywood is definitely out. Too heavy, too bulky to store and susceptible to water and insect damage while stored. If you're on a budget, hurricane fabrics are your number 1 option. There are those than you can see through and those that only let light through - you choose. They can easily be deployed by a single mom and they're easy to take down and store. Next up in price, corrugated steel panels. If you have the time, patience, storage room and know that you're going to be in town to put them up, go ahead. They are hazardous in windy conditions but if they're small and manageable, you'll be fine. The lighter aluminum panels and wavy polycarbonate ones follow the same pattern but are just more money. Bahama style shutters and colonial style work okay, too. Accordion shutters and manual roll-downs require the most maintenance and have the most parts to wear out. Accordions tend to attract hornet and wasp nests while roll-downs always run the risk of not working when you need them - a common problem.

The bottom line is, if you're going to pony-up for impact windows check their performance specs. If they aren't going to stop water from coming into your home when the winds reach 75mph and above, why bother? Especially when the price tag is in the tens of thousands of dollars. Hurricane shutters keep water away from any window and the all prevent the pressurization of your home so it's just a matter of deciding which one you want. They all have their drawbacks and benefits so research, learn and decide for yourself which will work best for you. Good luck.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.