webuser_889586522

Granite cracked upon installation

HU-889586522
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello.

Upon installation our granite cracked near the sink. It is small and I only see it in the sunshine. Is this anything I need to be worried about or will I need to be wary of any issues in the future?

The contractor assured me it is not a big deal and so incredibly small ect but I would love to hear what you all think.

Thanks

Comments (15)

• randy427
    5 years ago

ISTM that it's a big deal.

• Storybook Home
    5 years ago
    Oh no no no no no. If the installer cracked it they need to replace it on their dime.
  • HU-889586522
    Original Author
    5 years ago

He is coming to sand and epoxy in a few days. I guess I wanted some guidance before he came over. Thx

• Donna E
    5 years ago

No repair.

Replace.

• PRO
    Anthony West
    5 years ago
    IMO, you paid for a high quality product... Need to asses if it's a hairline crack or something that you can actually feel. Epoxy/Sand may work, But if there's a chance that the crack gets bigger...may want to get in writing that the install company will replace at no cost to you. Essentially a warranty.
  • PRO
    None
    5 years ago
    That's incredibly visible. Replace. Of course the installer will tell you it's no big deal. Otherwise, they are on the hook for replacing it.
  • my_four_sons
    5 years ago

I would be worried about water and grime getting into the crack. Does the crack go all the way through to the other side? Will he warranty the repair?

• Annastacia
    5 years ago
    Wow. That is a BIG deal. I am dealing with a similar issue, our island stone cracked. Lucky for me, my fabricator is doing everything possible to get me a new stone I will love....and didn’t even consider trying to install it! Get on them now! Unacceptable.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

This stone is damaged it needs to be replaced. Period.

• HU-889586522
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Oh no, these are not quite the answers I expected. here is a pic from above without me shining direct light. It is small (obviously I wanted you to see it in the pic but I didn’t want to exaggerate the crack). Do I need to worry about further damage if it were not replaced? Mold? The buff and epoxy are not a solution? Again, I want to educate myself before the contractor gets here because I’m obviously no granite expert and it seems like this may be worse that I thought.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

HU,you already got your advise... keep in mind that sink and surrounding area is the most used counter-top area in the kitchen, if you want to take a chance with this it's up to you...

• zmith
    5 years ago

Oh, please. All these people telling you to demand a replacement is just absurb. Joe Corlett, an absent Houzz poster and expert countertop repair professional, would say that the repair, if correctly done, will be better and stronger than the stone was before the repair. Give your fabricator a chance to do the epoxy repair.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

How do you know it was cracked during installation? That could have been there when you bought the slab. I have those fixtures all over my stone. Does it run all the way through?

• HU-889586522
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It lookes like it came/extended from the natural fissure but cracked. It’s just a bit bigger than some of the natural movement in the stone. We were actually there when it happened so I am sure it happened upon installation. It does extend to the side but is small and almost unnoticeable unless you’re really looking for it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.