sophath_mey

master bathroom needs help

Sophath Mey
5 years ago
I bought this house and o guess the previous owner loved blue. Please help what can I do to the space?

Comments (15)

• Sophath Mey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I was hoping to spend less than $10K. I would like to get rid of the jacuzzi tub. It’s very big and hard to get in and out. I was thinking of moving shower there and then tearing down wall where current shower is to open up the room. Plus the things you recommended.
  • PRO
    Rudio Designz
    5 years ago
    Well, I certainly agree with the tub removal to open up the space. They had two tubs here ?Looks as if the one with the glass door is a tub/Shower combo . I would address new wall in the Tub/shower area , new flooring and new countertops. depending in your existing lighting there you can certainly remove that soffit to elevate the mirrors with a sconces.
    You are however depleting your budget with even this small of a Reno. There is much labor costs with bathroom's. The materials are minimal . You have materials, Plumbing, Hot moping, demo, shower door and installation. So to address your $10k budget It will be a huge stretch unless you have trades that can assist you . I think it would be fabulous tho
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

That will take all 10K for one room, just getting that tub out would be work lol.

If you are going that far then yes, remove and put the shower on that side. However that is a big window to have in a shower! so that might not be ideal. In reality. I would steal some space from the sink area, and then use the other half as part of a walk in closet. then reconfigure the whole space.

• Sophath Mey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I tried to draw my layout. I am thinking then I should increase budget to $25K? Please excuse my drawing I tried my best.
  • gm_tx
    5 years ago

I think $25K+ budget is much more realistic.

I will never understand why people put carpet in a bathroom! Yuck! :)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Carpet has got to go + getting rid of tub. Tile looks to be in decent shape, paint and tiled shower + fixtures and youll be good to go.

• Sophath Mey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    RL Relocation LLC is this the shower and tub recommendation?
  • Karenseb
    5 years ago

I really don't think you will get good advise unless you scale your drawing with door locations, window locations, tub locations and the walk in closet. You need to use the graph paper and use each square as 6 inches and give the length and width of the room, where the windows and doors are and what measurement EVERYTHING is. Example. Wall with tub. Measure wall between window and wall on left. Measure window. Measure wall between window and wall on right.

You look to have a fair amount of space to use, which your drawing does not really show.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

no that is a walk in shower, and storage for linens, since is removed the closet in the bedroom.

I would assume you have another bathroom that has a tub so unless you are a tub freak I dont think you need two.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    5 years ago

We think you should start by removing the carpet. Then if you have another tub in the house, and don't need it for resale, (if you ever decide to move) then removing it might be best. We've included a few of our bathroom designs here too to aid you in your remodel.

Bathrooms · More Info

Bathrooms · More Info

Bathrooms · More Info

Bathrooms · More Info

• Sophath Mey
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @margarita bravo I love the clean white look
  • PRO
    DAB Interior Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

I have specialized in luxury bathrooms for 35 years and have "Won 5 NKBA National Awards". If you were my client, I'd ask you, "Do you want to spend your money to do band-aid measures, that you're unlikely to be happy with and you're likely to end up tearing the whole thing out in a couple of years + $25,000? Or would you prefer doing it right in the first place, love it and get it over with once and for all, cause it's a messy project and isn't over in 2 weeks? Trust me, I have worked, all over the country, remotely, with clients and their contractors, from my NYC studio.

I want to be honest with you, as if you were my client? Bathrooms are complicated, much more costly to do then most people imagine and you need expertise, to make it a beautiful environment, knowledge of the best products, tile, marble, lighting, most up to date solutions, be able to create a space that also gives you necessary storage and make it a relaxing, soothing environment.

I would gut the complete bathroom, cause there is really very little worth saving as far as I can see, plus all the miriad of walls, creating these ridiculous separate spaces. You already plan to get rid of the whirlpool, the floor is carpeted, the vanity with a tile top is a disaster to keep clean/totally dated, blue shower enclosure is going and the space is all chopped up.

Start fresh! $25,000 is like adding more to a disaster. Not only do you need a new layout which includes everything you want in the bath, utilizing the whole space, but elevations of every wall in the bath with details of everything that has been selected, is on each wall. (Check out my Houzz site and you'll see what I mean? I have a partial set of plans and elevations of the East End Ave. 2018 Award Winning Bath, + Before and After photos. Read about what the bath was originally and how we made it into a little jewel),

Not having architectural plans + elevations, you're going to have a giant headache. The reason my projects come out perfectly is the architectural plans! I refuse to work with anyone who won't do plans1 Don't expect your contractor or plumber to do this because they are not designers. They do what an expert shows and tells them what to do with exacting plans. Neither of them is experts on what is available on the market or can create what you ultimately want. I can guarantee that!

Just a word to the wise, better not select items as you go along, as that is a recipe for a total disaster with a lot of delays, change orders and problems. Which equals a lot of wasted extra unexpected costs, that would be better used to give you what you ultimately want! Hey, if I you have other questions and I can be of any help contact me? Let me know what you think?

East End Avenue, One Bedroom Renovation · More Info

• PRO
    DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Beaverton
    5 years ago

Definitely more than 10k, but depends on your market. I'd do as much as you can yourself, and don't skimp where it counts. Go lvt for flooring, and I really like the idea of an open shower in this space, but at the very least spend the money on a heavy frame-less shower door. You need light cabinets and even lighter walls, and i would be careful about over filling the space. Love the idea of a light mosaic, but I don't think the shower should stay in it's current spot. I'd make a much bigger area for the vanity, and bring down the wall between the sinks. Perhaps the shower to the sink area, and a vanity, with half wall for the toilet. I'd actually go build in type deck area around the tub, although a freestanding will add room. Also, I'd consider splitting the sinks to different areas, and possibly using freestanding cabinetry to save space and money. I think a duel walk in shower, with rain head, or simulation rain head, with a large, perhaps darker subway, and a mosaic trim, you could even go freestanding with pedestal, and have a bit of nostalgia that way. Lost of ideas, but if you move any plumbing or a wall you are looking at 20k minimum. You could purchase your own materials, I know our locations will allow provisions like that, although not sure if there is a dreammaker in your market.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.