alireki

Saltillo tile- paintable?

Ali Griffin
5 years ago
I was considering painting my Saltillo tile black to give it a more modern look- is this possible?

Comments (32)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you strip it you can stain it. Google it on YouTube and you will see videos of the tile being stained. If you paint over that sealer it will likely peel off.

BTW this tile is coming back depending on where you are located in the country and has always been considered contemporary if you select contemporary items to accent it.

• klyons11
    5 years ago
    That is a beautiful, classic floor. It will complement any decor style. I love it just the way it is!
  • Ali Griffin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for all of your comments and guidance- in deciding to keep or change. House is located in San Antonio but has a California contemporary exterior.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

they have Saltillo tile restorers/refinishers. call them out and see if they can stain it for you. it's a big job because there is a sealer on those tiles that will need to be removed.

And no. Absolutely do not even attempt painting these. will look like crap.

it's a beautiful floor. and you have the really nice saltillo in that brick tile layout. just have it stripped, tiles/grout cleaned, and resealed (not glossy,,,just a satin finish). It will look fantastic.

*and yes, a new paint color on the wall will do wonders*

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

That floor is beautiful! Don't do a thing to it.

• User
    5 years ago

Black! You’ll regret that in no time.

• latifolia
    5 years ago

A lot of us would kill for that floor. Just sayin’.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Bright white walls will make that floor more modern if that is the vibe you want?

Dartmouth Remodel · More Info

Dartmouth Remodel · More Info

• Ali Griffin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ted- Yes- that is the vibe!
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

Floors like that are commonly used with contemporary decor where I live ( coastal So California), I love the look.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Ali- start an ideabook that only has rooms with saltillo tile in them choosing only ones that are the vibe that you want. I think having one book with only this look will be easier to draw inspiration from. I got both of those photos from houzz.

And just a suggestion, you may want to take your current idea books and break them further into categories. Like one for living room. One for kitchen, etc. It's easier to do it now before you get so many photos and it takes forever to go through them to find your inspiration for one room.

• User
    5 years ago

Saltillo terracotta tile floors are a staple in Mexican/spanish style decor, they give a very heavy look to the home, yellowish or white walls are going to be the only way to complement them if you are going for the Spanish revival or hacienda look like the inspiration photos you were provided, but since your not then you can paint them but it probably will require touch-ups in heavy traffic areas throughout the years but it will look nice.

• User
    5 years ago

You don't show much of a picture, but the color of the table and the color of the floor clash. Change the easy things and go for a casual vibe...

Do you want to show more pictures to get more ideas?

• hollybar
    5 years ago

I'd leave the floors and change the furniture.

• User
    5 years ago

No, you can’t paint the floors. Well, you can, but that might last a week, and then be a nasty peeling mess.

The Saltillo floors are the best thing about most “Contemporary California” looking houses.

• PRO
    Cheryl Draa Interior Designs
    5 years ago

Leave the floors! Paint the table.

• User
    5 years ago

I do like the saltillo tile but I think black flooring looks nice too, I don't know about how to paint them but I know in my first house we had them inside and they never really looked ''clean'' to me even though they were because they have a rough sort of look to them. So maybe it can be done if you wear no shoes in the house/kids/pets running around. Some photos of the look I think your going for:

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

I love the look of black floors, and of course, you can paint those tiles. It's pretty simple. When I painted my tile floors I simply used Behr wall paint from Home Depot. Just paint a few coats to make sure the color is even. After it is dry, seal it with polyurethane. I suggest at least 5 coats fo poly. The only prep is to make sure the floors are as clean and dust free as possible prior to painting. I'm sure the black will look fantastic. I painted mine almost 2 years ago using this method and they still look great and have required no touchup and I have had no chipping or peeling.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Paint the table and the walls and get some new chairs. Those look like they've seen better days.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

What I'd like to know that with any painted surface, eventually you have to repaint it. So how do you go about doing this if you painted this surface and then poly coat it with 5 coats or so?. What it will entail as you can't expect any touch ups to match the existing and you will need to deal with those layers of poly coat. Just very curious as I know I wouldn't do anything like painting it unless I knew exactly what it would take to take care of any issues down the road besides jack hammering it out..

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

tedbixby- I actually painted my bathroom tile twice. I painted the tile a solid color and then stenciled over the painted tile. I didn't do a great job with the stencil, at least not to me but I doubt anyone else would have noticed the mistakes. I also didn't paint the entire floor a solid surface prior to doing the stencil I only painted a portion of it a solid color. I decided to scrape the entire floor and redo it. It took an entire day but all it required was scraping it up and a lot of elbow grease. I would do it again on a floor I disliked in a heartbeat.

This photo is what it looked like the first time I tried painting the floor. I scraped it all up and did it a second time. The redo looks exactly the same. No one would be able to tell that the floor has been scraped and painted a second time.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

So just scraping it took off the 5 coats of poly? Sounds like it would be quite a job for a much larger area?

And IMO bathroom floors don't get the wear and tear like other rooms in the house so wear life could be much shorter?

Were your tiles a different material rather than saltillo (clay)? Just like to make sure we are comparing apples to apples...

• ilikefriday
    5 years ago

Ted - No my tiles were not clay but imo clay would be much easier because there is more texture for the paint to adhere to. It was not a 5-minute task to scape the paint off but I was able to do it and it did require hard work. I would bet that clay tile would take the paint and the poly much better than whatever my tiles were made of. The scraping off part would be more difficult with the clay tiles, but not impossible.

Bathrooms don't get as much wear and tear as other rooms so maybe more touchups would be needed. Who knows. Throw rugs could easily be placed in high traffic areas in order to increase the longevity of the floor. I don't think people paint their floors and expect them to last 20 years.

• User
    5 years ago

I just want to add that even though I like both looks and I feel like I understand the direction you are going for in your home, I want to make sure I mention to be weary of thinking about painting them, I just do not want to seem like I am encouraging you to do something that seems like a pretty messy job that may or may not hold up well. So with that said I think if you don't like the current flooring the best bet may be to get new flooring installed instead of trying to modify the existing one.

• Ali Griffin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    After researching staining and painting- I think it is best to leave them. Removing them seems wrong as well. The table is a Henredon table that was my parents- I am not ready to part with but I have considered refinishing. I will post more pics because I do appreciate the recommendations and the reassurance of keeping the floors original.
  • Ali Griffin
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The chairs- I agree but I want to have solid direction in the overall design before I choose alternate chairs
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

What style is the rest of the house? Here's a great look from your saltillo ideabook that would be fairly easy to achieve:

Vacation Getaway - La Quinta · More Info

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

Saltilo tiles all have a seal coat on them. If you want them a dark brown leather look it is very easy to do. They simply stain before applying the top coat. There are saltillo restoration cos everywhere out West as they do require stripping and resealing just as wood floors require sanding and poly.

• PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    5 years ago

Just like every one else said leave it its classic.upgraged your baseboards to something higher and paint/spray them in white lacquer, it will make floor pop.

• User
    5 years ago

I say keep it. it's gorgeous! dark flooring shows every tiny little speck of dust.

as for the style: it's possible to do modern + southwest. check out Geninne D Zlatkis on instagram. I am obsessed with everything she does.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.