hzdeleted_5195216

New home, New AV needs, No ideas :)

User
6 years ago

We are building a new home but we have very basic AV needs. We are getting a new 55" TV and currently have a PVR box through phone line not cable line. Our new home will have the TV mounted above the fire place in a planned niche, no comments needed on how bad the above fireplace plan is we won't change our minds on that one. But what we don't know is where the components will go like the PVR/box. Currently we point the remote at the box to make it work but I understand that is outdated and there are other options. Any ideas? We are not wanting to hire a separate AV person, if possible, as our needs are minimal but we do need some basic planning to occur.

Comments (21)

• robin0919
    6 years ago

AV?

• Pinebaron
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This may seem a little over the top but I’ll tell you what I’ve done. Every TV location location in the home including above the FP, are power, coax and two CAT6A cables; all cables converge to the media cabinet in our server room (Can. be any convenient/accessible location in the house). Coax and power are minimum to get TV reception, the CAT6A cables permit using them for remote control sensors, future high bandwidth high definition signals from your cable company, video and sound distribution systems etc. if you have a shorter run, you should also consider running two HDMI cables between your TV and central control location.

The above information is very basic and not intended to be a complete AV design statement which is beyond the scope of my answer here.

• Related Discussions

New bedroom! Need help deciding what furniture to put in!

Q

Comments (16)
    Sure sarah -- the bed is Target, believe it or not, as is the chandelier. You might even find a better deal on the lighting. Here's the rug at rugs direct: http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/160707/Surya/CandiceOlsonModernClassics/CAN1982/WinterWhiteTanFlintGray Here's the bedding: http://www.bellahomefashions.com/hotel-style-borderline-white-tan-7pc-duvet-comforter-cover-and-sheet-set-p3298.html I threw the mirror in as a splurge at $2K from Coastal Cottage, but if you keep your eyes open, you'll find something at Home Goods. And these are the curtains: http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/pearl-white-thai-silk-curtains-drapes.html
    ...See More

need help with new wet room tiles

Q

Comments (12)
    http://houzz.com/photos/3642990 This link kind of demonstrates the use of mosaics and the mirror idea I thought may be cool. Obviously they are vertical but I think it would work either way. Any pics of your tiles? I have seen your other post and know your suite is 'traditional' but another thing to consider I guess is the cost of the mosaics. £££ using lots may mean a big dent in your budget.
    ...See More

Ideas for track lights in new pitched roof kitchen.

Q

Comments (2)
    Here are a few different ways to have track lighting in kitchens with vaulted ceilings: I especially like the ones that mount the tracks to the beams, like "Magnolia contemporary kitchen" and "Green remodel," but as you see, there are many different ideas. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

building a new home

Q

Comments (2)
    These are decisions you need to make with your architect. Get some building magazines maybe to look at styles.
    ...See More
  • David Cary
    6 years ago

The box... argh the box. I am hoping these things have only a few short years left.

Pointing is not outdated. There are issues because the cable companies have a monopoly on poorly executed boxes. They vary. There is no rules.

I just cut a hole in the drywall in the bedroom to slide the box partly into the wall. Boxes are often incompatible with RF remotes. RF is the tech that doesn't require line of sight - ie pointing.

So your first project is to see if you will have the same phone company for TV. Then find out if the box has RF capability built in (doubt it) or if you can get your own box with RF (doubt it). Then when that doesn't work, you try to find an add on RF system with its own issues - and see if it is compatible with your box. And note that phone company will change the box in the lifespan of your house......

Buy a smart TV and cut the cord. Cable companies deserve to go bankrupt.

Ok - enough ranting. How big is your box? In my area, the DVR boxes are like 10 inches deep which becomes an issue above the fireplace. Most people prefer to place them in a built in next to fireplace and run a conduit to the TV. Then you have to get an IR repeater. You still point at the the IR sensor. The leading RF to IR system (Next Generation) I used for years. Battery life was an issue as was lag.

You can put the box in a mechanical room but then when it needs to be rebooted - it is a walk. Unless you put in a switched outlet in said mechanical room. That seems like overkill.

• Pinebaron
    6 years ago

Remote booting any device powered by a smart switch is easy.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

My AV equipment in the existing house is behind a smoke glass door in the builtins beside the fireplace - with conduit up to the boxes above. It has worked well enough that I don't need an RF thingie. ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    With the set up of our new fireplace and that entire wall there is no good spot for the components to go. There is no shelf or nice area for it to sit discreetly. If there was I would just run a the HDMI cable and phone jack behind the wall and done. But to keep it smooth and clean lines we need to stash the box somewhere. I think the tv is the key as mentioned. We need to start looking at smart tv options that would let us hide the box. Good weekend project I suppose! For the poster that asked I believe AV is audio visual.
  • freeoscar
    6 years ago

We have a similar setup. Ran speaker cable, HDMI cable, Cat 6 and an IR transmitter wire to our equipment room where we have the cable dvr, receiver and a Logitech Harmony Hub. When running HDMI, distance matters - the shorter the better, and once you get too long you'll need a much more complicated and expensive setup. But if you can keep the wire to <30ft you'll be fine. Make sure to get one which is in-wall rate, and optimally you'll put it in conduit. The IR transmitter connects to the Harmony Hub and then there's a little dot that you can connect to the bottom of the TV. That's where you point the remote at.

• Pinebaron
    6 years ago

Freeoscar you are correct that HDMI runs should be short. Since our new home is very long and runs from various bedrooms and other tv locations to the server room can easily exceed 100’, I opted for cat6a cables so I can use cat6 to hdmi converters (when not using coax) being fed from the video distribution box/amplifier, plus use other wire pairs for carrying remote control signals.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not AV but low voltage electrical question. Who has lid for hard wiring for security systems? Is everything moving to wireless?
  • robin0919
    6 years ago

Yes, everything is going wireless. What is AV????? I must be missing something here....obviously........

• David Cary
    6 years ago

Lid? No everything is not going to wireless. Wireless is great for some things and allows manufacturers to have a bigger market. But wireless doesn't give power so everything wireless needs a battery.

By lid - do you mean market share? ELK, Honeywell, HAI

Very few people DIY, so they hire an LV company that uses whatever vendor they prefer.

• lyfia
    6 years ago

AV - Audio Video

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry auto correct. Who has paid for hard wiring it should say. We are leaning toward not doing that. I also just heard the small holes in the windows for alarms void the warranty for windows.
  • freeoscar
    6 years ago

I'm assuming lid was a typo. Wired is always better - it's more secure, more reliable, and doesn't rely on battery power. Of course if you're putting something in a finished house then not having to open up walls offsets the limitations of wireless which is what makes those systems (like Honeywell Lyric, or a DIY like Simplisafe) attractive. But if are doing new construction, and aren't a DIY type of person, I'd speak with a good local installer and they can advise. If you don't have time for that, in general, you'll want 22/4 and Cat 5A to each of the locations where you'll have a security keypad/screen, with the other end going to the location where you'll have the security panel. I'd also recommend 22/4 to where you'll want the siren and any motion detectors. And of course Cat for any security camera locations you might have. You could also put wire to the windows and doors where you will want security sensors.

was typing that as you posted - yes, most (all?) window warranties will technically void if you drill into them for security sensors, though in reality it is rarely an issue. that said, wireless sensors (which just stick on to the window) continue to get smaller, more reliable and increased battery life so it's not a bad option (it's what we chose).

• David Cary
    6 years ago

So the magnet gets screwed to the sash on a double hung window so there really isn't drilling. That being said, it technically can void a window warranty. But not really a big issue. I had several warranty issues without question.

The alternative is visible sensors - your choice. Also wired is a lot cheaper - I think like $2-3 a window - parts only.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    David we are being quoted 3k to wire. Then have to pay for install of sensors on top of that. Wireless system is free install. We don’t live in the US and have different providers.
  • PRO
    Davis Audio & Video
    6 years ago

Did the builder wire or put a tube / chase from the TV location to the side of the fireplace? If not, you may want to ask for that so you can keep the PVR in a cabinet / on a shelf next to the fireplace. Harmony makes a remote that you can program yourself and has a radio frequency base station so you would not need line of site to control the PVR, but you need to make sure it is wired. There are solutions, not sure how many are DIY vs hiring an AV company. Like anything, sometimes paying more than you want to get exactly what you want is a good idea long term. But I am an AV guy.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Davis. Nothing has actually been done yet. We don’t have electrical or low voltage in :)
  • PRO
    Davis Audio & Video
    6 years ago

In this case, I would ask - Where do you want the equipment to be located? You have the option to locate it anywhere you want. I would recommend that you wire as follows - Wire a coax (RG59 Quad cable), Cat 6 & Fiber at the PVR box location. Then run an HDMI (if close enough to the TV), 2 cat 6 and 1 fiber from the PVR location to the TV location and a conduit / tubing (if possible/reasonable). This will give you many options for a few years.

• David Cary
    6 years ago

Know that Harmony does not work with all DVR's. When did we start calling them PVR's? Portable?

$3k is crazy but typical LV ripoff. I would ask what that $3k is getting. Running a tiny wire to each door and window on the first floor in a new construction situation is a 1 day low skilled labor job. Sensors included. Daisy chaining groups of windows which is fine.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.