beachhousesuzi

Florida Beach House Natural Rugs

beachhousesuzi
6 years ago

Florida Beach House - I have ceramic tile floor that runs through both rooms. I need rugs in both rooms. Coastal decor. Should I do natural rugs in both rooms and hallway or a different style rug in each room. White slipcovered sofa and chairs. Jute, sisal or seagrass? Whitewashed reclaimed wood DR table w/assorted rattan and other type chairs. Layering neutrals with some turquoise decor and so forth. And, should I cover most of the floor or leave a walkway? Don't like the tile but it's in good shape.

Please advise on rugs and any other advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

Sounds delightful. Pictures will get you better answers.

beachhousesuzi thanked Rawketgrl
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Does your AC run at all times? If not, they will mildew and rot. A friend put sisal rugs all through a house on Martha's Vineyard that was not heated in the winter. Rotted rugs with fur growing on them created her the next summer.

beachhousesuzi thanked Anglophilia
  • beachhousesuzi
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, my AC does run or else my entire property would grow mold.

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea the rugs would mold.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Check out Ballard Design's seagrass rugs.

beachhousesuzi thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    6 years ago

Thought you might enjoy this article Rugs in Tropical Climates. Here's a little blurb from the article...

...Wool is a natural fiber. It breathes, like all natural fibers. Unlike man-made carpets and rugs made from petroleum and oil-based products, wool does not react to heat and humidity like plastic products. Wool fiber can absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture vapor without feeling damp. So, at times of high humidity, wool absorbs moisture and then releases this moisture again when the atmosphere is dry, acting as an atmospheric buffer.

In conditions of high humidity, generally found in the tropics, invariably it is the carpet backing that is first affected by mildew, mold, or fungus. Wool fiber is naturally quite mildew resistant, especially as it will tend to have a relatively low pH acid level. Backings for all carpets can now be treated to avoid the mold and mildew problems experienced in the past.

beachhousesuzi thanked Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.