bostonoak

Please help me escape the Comcast cable bundle prison!

bostonoak
6 years ago

I presently have Comcast as my cable/Internet/phone provider.

I pay $160 per month.

However, I really only use MSNBC for my cable.

And I do not use my Comcast landline phone because I have cell phone.

But I do use Comcast Internet. I have something called Performance Pro.
It costs $35.63 per month and the Internet speed is 100 mbps.

I have decided to end my Comcast bundle.

I now just want to get Internet access. I'm told some people manage to watch TV via the Internet.

I spent the day yesterday on the phone, trying to get an alternative to my Comcast Internet.

This is what I found:

1) Verizon has high speed DSL with phone service. This translates to $54.99 plus charges which comes to $68.00.

2) RCN has 1 gig of Internet service for $60.00.

Do you know of a cheaper Internet service? Please let me know.

Comments (11)

• Mike C
    6 years ago

Stay away from DSL if you want to stream video through the internet. While the Comcast internet price sounds good, in most cases that price will go up if you drop the rest of the package. If RCN 1Gig is a cell phone service, you will eat that up very quickly if all of your video is being streamed. Also, some internet streaming availability is dependent on you cable package - IE CBS, ABC, NBC, etc.

• Mike C
    6 years ago

Also, check on services for HULU Plus, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. With a ROKU stick, you can add different free 'channels'.

• PRO
    Banchitta Contracting
    6 years ago
    So my current cord cutting setup is as follows

Fios 50/50 service $45
    DirectTV Now streaming 100channels + hbo for $35
    Ooma for a landline $5
    Netflix for $9.99

I use an AppleTV stream device at my 2 televisions and I’m really happy with how well it all works

When I remodeled my home , I literally cut every single wire for cable tv out and installed a Mesh WiFi network throughout the house.

No wires or exposed boxes anywhere.
  • boernegal
    6 years ago
    What you need to consider is that while the unbundled price of the internet service will go up, it's about a $5 increase in price in that one service. You're dropping the rest so you'll save a lot right there. You'll sacrifice the great speed you're used to for a cheaper DSL if you go that route. The last thing we dropped was our landline phone service to go with a cellular based one that we're happy with. We have an antenna to get basic HDTV that works great along with Roku for streaming. We recently added Sling TV so my husband could get his college football fix. Our internet option where we live is pretty much a monopoly...rural...but we have fiber service and can do everything we need with 20mbps. It's just us 2 unless our grown kids visit but my husband can teleconference here no problem. So depending what your needs are, you have some flexibility. Get (keep) the best internet for your needs and build upon that if needed.
  • boernegal
    6 years ago
    Meant to say we went with a cellular based security system. Before, we only had the landline to connect the security system.
  • PRO
    Sync Systems
    6 years ago

For internet:

any ISP (internet service provider) that will give you over 20mbps will work fine for all streaming you will need. So if your not attached to comcast shop price and speed. Do not go below 20mbps.

TV options:

AppleTV is great. You can pay for MSNBC on its own. Steam Netflix, iTunes, Movies etc.

TiVo is also a great option if you like DVR functions. Install an OTA check out gomuho.com for antennas. These are as simple as they come for the DIY setup. Enter you town and address on their website and it will give you antenna option with channel amounts.

Cord cutting is becoming more and more popular. Especially with streaming capabilities. That being said streaming requires network. Network pricing has gone up while TV packages have gone down.

Good luck!

• cooper8828
    6 years ago

We recently got fiber optic in our neighborhood and I signed up for it. Speed is usually around 70 mbps (download). It is $50 with no data caps. Since we cut the cord also, the old cable/internet company added a data cap, and our price shot way up - almost $100 for internet alone. You use a lot of data streaming everything! We also alternate between Netflix and Hulu.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We cut the cord a couple of years ago. I don't miss it at all. We have Rokus on all our TV's.

If you're thinking of just having internet access, call comcast and ask them what they can do for you (shop around for the best deal and have them in front of you). They may just want to keep you as a customer. If not...there's no reason not to go elsewhere.

Disclaimer....I know nothing about this one. It just was the first one I found for Boston (guess based on your name) https://www.rcn.com/boston/high-speed-internet/

So due diligence and all that...

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

We have FIOS. Love it, but the price is higher.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It would be helpful to know your location (maybe zip code). The most convenient cable/internet service I've had was when I was in an area with AT&T uVerse; however, in my current location Comcast is the only choice. FIOS is available near me, but not in my neighborhood.

Bruce

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.