stair_climber

Argon Gas Insulated Impact Windows

stair_climber
6 years ago

I live in south florida. I am close to going with PGT Vinyl impact windows, lowE solarban70XL, gray tint. I'm hoping the gray tint will hide some of the green color that comes from the lowE coating. However, I am struggling with choosing between insulated vs. non-insulated windows in a hot climate. I don't know if the benefits of insulated windows in south Florida outweighs the risk of a seal leak which can result in moisture or a film appearing on the inside of the glass. I would hate for that to happen even if the warranty would cover replacement of the window because labor and delivery are 'not' covered. On the other hand, I'm attracted to the sound reduction that comes with insulated windows.

So the question I have is this:

Has anyone out there living in a warm climate experienced moisture forming on the inside of their PGT Vinyl, insulated impact windows in the last 5 years? Does anyone have 10+ year old argon gas insulated windows and experienced no leaks and no moisture forming?

I'm hoping that improvements in the past 5 years has reduced the chances it will happen.

Interesting related link:

https://www.thebalance.com/cost-benefits-and-drawbacks-of-argon-gas-windows-844558

Comments (5)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Without any doubt you want an insulated unit. You will have condensation whether it's filled with air or argon. Very company has had leaks within 5 years but most don't see any.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

+1. Glass spacers and systems are so good now and days that the leakage rates are less than 1% per year in many cases.

• PRO
    Evolution Hurricane Shutters, LLC
    6 years ago

If you want limited service life, go with the vinyl. If you want your windows to outlive the mortgage, get aluminum. The heat loss/gain differential works out be pennies a month. IG units vs. single pane seems to be about the same situation. Until someone perfects a way to control the internal airspace pressures, leaks are inevitable and the gas is gone well before the warranty. Nationwide leakage percentages published by the industry are low (1-2%) but regions like Florida and the Southwest run higher (I see dozens every month). Laminated glass with a low-e coating appears to be most cost effective and combined with aluminum frames would be my personal choice, but that's just me.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 years ago

So anecdotal evidence is now gospel. By that same metric, all Toyota Corrolla, despite being a renown dependable car, are crap because I have had two break down on me.

• stair_climber
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Today, a local window company told me you can only order PGT Vinyl Impact windows with IGU. My wife called PGT. They said insulated-laminate was optional. Anyone out their own PGT Winguard Vinyl LowE that is not insulated?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.