muffy1972

Front steps on a sloped hill - help.

muffy1972
6 years ago

I want to put in steps due to the steepness of the driveway. I was thinking of maybe following the curve of the bed - and extending it down to where the driveway and sidewalk meet. Anyone have suggestions - also what material do you think I should use - concrete, pavers...... please send pictures. Thanks!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would have the steps be set flush within the ground rather than sitting on top of it. Also, incorporate cheekwalls flanking each side of the steps so as for better appearance and lower maintenance with grass trimming. It would look good and be less trouble to terrace a piece of ground between drive and walk rather than to maintain planted slope from washing debris onto landing.

muffy1972 thanked Yardvaark
  • picturebug
    6 years ago

I love the clean look of Yardvaark's image. While I also like the stem wall of mmilos picture, you have a much steeper pitch that would make it less "sitting" friendly, plus it would make mowing much more challenging, and water could easily pool at the bottom backside of the stem wall.

muffy1972 thanked picturebug
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

Yardvaark's rendition is the better idea IMO. If the grade is as steep as it appears I would add a handrail on the yard side of the stairs. Remove the tall tree / bush and eliminate the lawn. Lush, low growing plantings are better for your front...and way less work than mowing.

muffy1972 thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

I agree. A nice, simple metal pipe handrail at the planted side would be an asset given the pitch of grade. I, too, would not have grass on the hill. It would be all no-need-to-mow groundcover.

muffy1972 thanked Yardvaark
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    6 years ago

Where is this? Will snow and ice be issues?

• PRO
    REMARK
    6 years ago

While this may be a more expensive option, adding a few, wide terraces is a gentler way to descend the slope. As others suggested, replacing lawn with low maintenance plantings would be helpful. We often prefer to provide a separate path from the sidewalk to the front door as well when possible.

muffy1972 thanked REMARK
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

Variants on the other suggestions.

muffy1972 thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is located in PA. What do you think of something like this? I like the curved lines better than the straight.

• kayled
    6 years ago

The curved lines of the steps you just posted mirror the curves of the house- arched window, flare at end of roof, etc. There are no curves on your house- I think straight lines would look better. The designs posted by other commenters would better complement your architecture.

muffy1972 thanked kayled
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

So long as the walk reaches the beginning and end destinations you can build anything you like. But when the scheme of hardscape starts working against the lay of the land, the cost usually starts climbing rapidly. I can see that some curvature is possible, but not of the gently descending nature as in the picture you recently added. We always like to break runs of steps up with some landings to make them more appealing and user-friendly. But if the lay of land isn't cooperative, the cost might radically skyrocket. Maybe we should start out with the budget. Is it $15K or $30K?

EDIT: I'm returning to add, we can only see one view and that could be misleading. Maybe the slope is less severe than it looks. The possibilities and end price will depend on what is actually there, in addition to what you do. If the picture is at all misleading, you might want to update the thread with new information.

• muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I added another view to help clarify the slope. I appreciate everyone's input. This gives me a place to start. I am not looking to spend $15K to do this, but until I get some quotes and figure out the best way to lay it out, I guess I won't know. The views I added are a year old - so that is why there is no grass.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

To clarify the view, you need to take a picture looking across the slope from the side while holding the camera level. Face on, the slope can only be guessed at.

• muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I will do that and post it.

• muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Side Views

• muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I added 2 side views - they are not great - sorry.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

It doesn't look as steep as I thought from the first pic. It's questionable whether you could incorporate landings & curves without exceeding your budget. I'm sure someone could install a skinny curved walk without exceeding your budget, but beware, if you don't have something nice, it's going to downgrade the entire house since it is basically front and center.

• muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That is my concern. I don't want to create an ugly mess. The builder is meeting with me on Friday to make some suggestions. Someone mentioned a walkway on the right side of the driveway. There is a walkway on the side of the house it could tie into, but you would need to walk across the driveway at the top to get to the front door. I am not crazy about the idea.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

Builders are not designers. Some may have the capability to design quality landscape elements, but it is no guaranty. If you go that route, you'll need to have the expertise to judge the direction he is taking and the quality of whatever solution he proposes. You need a landscape architect with hardscape experience. Some landscape designers have hardscape experience and would be capable of designing good steps.

I would not be crazy about a walk at the right of drive either.

• muffy1972
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You have been a great help! Thank you for the time you spent responding.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.