doranncaf

South east flood challenge

doranncaf
6 years ago

Have a good sized back garden area that we have planted several times as herb kitchen gardens but after several saltwater floods wiping them out need to rethink what to plant or go with "fake" grass option. We live in the deep south where summers are long and hot and yet we can get a killing frost in winter. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• nandina
    6 years ago

Do a general search for instructions about "spreading gypsum on salt damaged lawns". This is how lawns are saved to regrow again after tidal flooding or lawn damage caused by over zealous winter salt trucks.

No, you will not be able to garden in the ground in that tidal area. Time to be creative. Time to study your landscape and the best way to introduce potted herbs and veggies into your surrounds if you do not want to grow another in ground garden somewhere on your property away from salt damage. Using pots allows a gardener to have a change of mind and to re-position them on a whim for better viewing or shading. Much produce can be grown in large pots.

• Sigrid
    6 years ago

Can you make a dune? They tend to be raised, which would be a bit of a barrier against flooding, be planted with salt-tolerant grasses and other plants.

You can google salt tolerant plants and you can look to see what your neighbors have planted or go to local botanical gardens.

• PRO
    REMARK
    6 years ago

We're in Charleston, SC and this is an issue for those near marshes and creeks. Salt tolerant grasses such as Spartina, and a raised deck may be a better option for you.

• Margaret
    6 years ago

@sigrid a dune would just get washed away, and a more permanent barrier will damage the shoreline and is probably illegal. Native salt tolerant plants and a deck (e.g. raised) herb garden are the right solution here. Depending on how much land there is, the natives will also tend to absorb the flood waters and protect the rest of the property.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.