mzfiona

Floating shelf vanity + drop-in sink?

mzfiona
6 years ago

Hi all, I'm new here but I've been struggling with this question for a month now and I need some advice. I want to use an oak floating shelf (about 1 3/4" thick) as a vanity in our master bath but I can't find an affordable vessel sink that I like (there are several outrageously expensive ones that I like of course). I DO like the Kohler Carillon rectangular drop-in sink.

My concern is that part of the sink will be visible below the shelf. It's a cast iron sink so maybe not so attractive? What do you think? Does anyone have experience with this type of setup?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Hello mzfiona!
    If you look up the specifications for the vessel sink that you like, you'll be able to see how it is installed. That should help you visualize the issue.

The best of luck to you!

• bry911
    6 years ago

I have a vanity on a floating shelf, the bottom of the shelf isn't really going to matter unless people crawl under your sink. The plumbing for it is much harder to hide, we had to relocate the supply lines and the drain pipe to be less conspicuous.

On a personal note, the shallow vessel sink in a master bath is a bad idea. The sinks are too utilitarian in use to be so shallow. You need a deeper sink.

• PRO
    LM Interior Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I agree with bry911, that vessels sinks are not ideal in a main bathroom.

• mzfiona
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I just measured the depth of our current (circa 1980) sink. It is 5" at the deepest point but the overflow hole is 1 ½" from the top making it effectively 3 ½" deep.
    The sink I'm interested in is 4" deep without an overflow. I would actually have more depth than we have now.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

The plumbing bill to centralize and create attractive exposed supply lines and drains will be much higher than even a $500 vessel sink. Be sure that you are prepared for that additional expense before you go down this rabbit hole too far. Any exposed plumbing type sink will have that issue. Thus the popularity of enclosed vanities, where ugly plastic does not show.

• bry911
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just measured the depth of our current (circa 1980) sink. It is 5" at the deepest point but the overflow hole is 1 ½" from the top making it effectively 3 ½" deep.

It is a bit hard to explain. The capacity of the sink isn't the problem it is the height of the sink wall above splashes that is the problem. Or maybe the less steep curve...I don't know.

Here is the sink we have (not sure if Krauss still makes this one)

Every time I wash my hands I have to clean the wood and I am constantly getting water everywhere when I use it. Just my personal experience.

• mzfiona
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks bry911, I can understand how that would be a problem. I am planning to use a drop-in sink rather than a vessel sink. My question is whether the part of the sink below the shelf (about 3") would be visible and/or unattractive.

• User
    6 years ago

It will both be visible and unattractive. This is not how you do a floating console.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.