hzdeleted_41774963

1950's fireplace

User
6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We have this 1950's fireplace in our living room and am at a complete loss at what to do with it.

I am having a major dilemma on whether to keep it or not. Its ugly, but I am strangely attached to it as its the only feature that's left of the original house, (although there is a smaller version in my 6yr old boys room too). I'm a sucker for mid century items as they bring me nostalgia, even though I'm only in my late 30's!

We really want to decorate the room that its in asap, as an adult living room, but I have no idea on how to incorporate it in, if I were to keep it. I should also mention it has a few broken tiles.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Please help!

1950's fireplace - what can I do with it?

Comments (31)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Mmm what can you do with it? Use a sledgehammer on it. It's horrid.
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    Oh dear what can I say? It really is awful. Has no redeeming features whatsoever. I had a similar one in both bedrooms of my 1930's house and we soon smashed those up! The fact you are asking means you're just not that into it. Let it go, let it go..........
  • Rose Williams
    6 years ago

At least it is square, so modern at a push. I actually like it, but the colour is a bit yuk on the dark shades so would only stay if could be truly matched to your preferred colour scheme as colour tile paint would make it worse... but then if broken tiles its fix it or smash it in my opinion.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know you are all right.... Its gotta go!

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Outside loos were also a feature......

• PRO
    Decor Books
    6 years ago

No no. Its an original art deco feature. May not be the thing now but 10 years it will be 100 years old and people will be going to reclaimation to put them back in! ( same as those victorian ones pulled out in 70s)

You can find a joiner that will be able to build an mdf disguise over it to make it look contemporary

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

I thought that ... original desireable feature, but the construction isnt like a wrought iron one you can take out and move, its just tile and shape, not easy to relocate is it. However, careful deconstruction my make the "special" tiles salvageable?

• nmlondon
    6 years ago
    http://www.c20fireplaces.co.uk/original-fireplace-complete/f806_1950s-all-tiled-fireplace

http://www.c20fireplaces.co.uk/rfpc

Have a look.

I love art deco features (though sometimes you could still find those in the 50s houses). I find the Victorian fireplaces fussy and "heavy". Our new house, built in 1934, has four art deco fireplaces, two of them are working. I will replace one of them - still keeping with the period but with the blue tiles pattern.
  • Kayte Mosse
    6 years ago

Keep it. Get it professionally cleaned, including the chimney. Regrout with white grouting (yes, white). Then change its use, as in dont use as a traditional fire place anymore. Paint the back of the fireplace white, and put in one of those gas-fired black stoves. Or just some big ornament - stay away from the Budhas. Oh and paint the chimney wall (word?) white, and hang a themed 1950's big picture above it.

• dwjudd
    6 years ago

Keep it, these are all the rage now. Either match the art deco theme throughout this room, or with care, mix and match with modern

• Jen Osborne
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Save your money, keep it, it's kind of cute. It will go very nicely with a relaxed, eclectic mid- century decor like this:

• Lorraine Douglas
    6 years ago

We took a sledgehammer to ours recently

nd it now looks like this

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dont keep it just if its worth something to the odd person who MIGHT pay for it after costs of dismantling and refurbishment.... dont be daft, especially if it isnt perfect to start with
    The fancy website shown earlier were new "designer" retro remakes, and a lot nicer tbh.... It's a simple sledgehammer job.
    To re-model and design your entire room around something thats not nice, not your colour etc, or you would have to modify hence ruin it's originality is crazy. I'm not a massive fireplace fan unless it's impressive....

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Completely agree with above comment. Seems mad to think of designing a look around something that you possibly don't like at all. My house was full of artex and striped 1990s wallpaper. If someone had told me that in years to come it would be considered on trend I would have shown them the conker coloured front door!

• User
    6 years ago

If you can keep it, do! Even if you build a timber box around to disguise at present. You can never get it back once it's gone and everyone thought midcentury was hideous only 10 years ago and now it's all the rage.

• Jen Scrivs
    6 years ago

I have the same issue.......

I really don't know how I can work with it?! Has anyone got any images of a similar fireplace in a modern lounge? i want to keep it but no idea how to make it and the room look nice with it in???

• PRO
    Sustainable Kitchens
    6 years ago

Hello,

Personally, I wouldn't keep it in my living room, but if you are not sure if you like it or not keep it for peace of mind. What I can suggest is creating a cabinet or shelving unit that blends with the rest of the layout. What do you think about having your tv there?

Would be great to have more pictures of the room to give you more ideas.

Have a great weekend,

Rui

• User
    6 years ago

what other furniture are you working with? I think it is a fabulous original part of your house and if you can make it work it would be great. It seems to be in really good condition too. If you can show us a bit more of the room we maybe could suggest a few ideas!

• Jen Scrivs
    6 years ago

• Jen Scrivs
    6 years ago

Maxinedallen few more photos for you - thank you for any suggestions

• E D
    6 years ago
    Definitely keep it.
    It's charming and the fact you're attached to it should tell you enough.
    Get rid of the apostrophe in 1950s and 30s though... :)
  • User
    6 years ago

Your house looks lovely, I really like all the original doors and panelling. I can see that you wouldn't want to style everything in a 1930s way, but understand matching/complementing the colours of the fireplace are quite restrictive too! I would try a few testers of browny-toned greys for the walls to get the fireplace to blend in rather than stand out. I couldn't live with a brown and cream room but suggest something like F & B 'light grey' or 'old white' might work. I have a room in F & B 'cord' which is very easy to live with and would work. As for furniture.... I think you can go modern for an eclectic look but just be careful of the colours so you don't get a horrible clash.

• E D
    6 years ago
    Your house appears to have some lovely features. The original doors and bannister for example.
    These would work well in both traditional and contemporary style interiors.
    Perhaps the carpet in the hall is ripe for replacing....
    :)
  • AMB
    6 years ago
    I like the shape of it, it's just the manky brown colours that are the problem. You could paint it or replace the tiles with a more up to date colour.
  • PRO
    Decor Books
    6 years ago
    absolutely love that fireplace. colours that go with brown are limited even though its fairly neutral. you could go with crisp grey blue or a safe cream on the walls and accent with dark and navy blues. personally i would be brave and go with lots of autumnal colours it would pull together nicely and have a cosy feel
  • Vincent Mcmahon
    2 years ago

and you thought yours was bad?😟

• nmlondon
    2 years ago

Vincent, those doggies though! I actually like the geometry of the fireplace and the shelf, not so keen on choice of colour of the tiles (I have four 30s fireplaces in the house! Three will have to go, Ive painted the fourth one white and it looks like an art deco building, which I love, so it’s got to stay).

• Vincent Mcmahon
    2 years ago

keep your eyes of my doggies, they not for sale🤣

• nmlondon
    2 years ago

Haha, fair enough

• Lizzie Hudson
    last month

I hope you kept it!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.