schreibdave

Sealing basement concrete floor to reduce moisture migration

schreibdave
7 years ago

Has anybody sealed their basement floor to prevent moisture from coming up? And if so, what product did you use?

I am building a new house in Syracuse NY with 2 bedrooms in the basement. I am confidant that we will not have bulk water entering the basement but I would also like to prevent moisture from coming up through the floor. I do not want to have to run a dehumidifier.

To solve a different problems I recently put 3 coats of shellac on a concrete floor and I am thinking that that would work. Thoughts?

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Attics to Basements Building & Renovations, Inc.
    7 years ago

A new house should have 6mil poly under the floor and sealed at the foundation. Otherwise use a concrete sealer.

• worthy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

In addition, you can use EPS or XPS insulation under the poly; besides reducing the vapour drive, it insulates. Certainly of value in your cold climate.

Concrete sealers protect the surface of the floor, but with the exception of crystalline waterproofing, do not impede the moisture drive from below. I used crystalline once on a foundation before platon waterproofing was available in North America.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.