groundigger

Fixing an old flagstone path

groundigger
7 years ago

I just took several inches of soil and grass off of an old flagstone walkway that was barely visible. Now, I'd like to take out the soil from the joints and put something that won't create a muddy mess, but I don't want to plant between. I was thinking along the lines of traffic bond gravel, pea gravel or polymeric sand. The joints are quite large, up to 2 inches at some points. Any advice or other options would be appreciated, thank you

Comments (3)

• PRO
    KD Landscape
    7 years ago

The joints might be a bit large for polymeric sand, though it would be the easiest thing to do in the circumstance you describe. Most manufacturers (Alliance, Techni-Seal, etc) will tell you the maximum joint width on the packaging.

Not a big fan of pea gravel in these situations as it is not particularly stable based on its rounded shape.

If gravel, then I might suggest decomposed granite as it packs down nicely and allows for drainage as well.

Not sure what you are referencing with "traffic bond gravel".

Good luck with the project.

groundigger thanked KD Landscape
  • PRO
    Landis Garden Design
    7 years ago

Pea Gravel or delaware river rock sized 1", on top of an inch of stone dust to help stay in place. The larger the stones, the less likely they will kick out. Dogs can do the most to take out these types of stones, but the stone dust will help the stones to set, and will help to deter, but not stop completely, weeds from getting through.

groundigger thanked Landis Garden Design
  • groundigger
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Landis, this might work I like the look! I posted this question first on Landscape Design and there are a couple pictures of my path over there.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.