jupidupi

Soapstone for windowsill?

jupidupi
7 years ago

Renovating our small kitchen and have to replace a 38" x 8" windowsill next to the stove. Our counters are going to be cream Hi-Macs and it seems kind of weird to make the windowsill out of the same surface as my counter. Thought it might be fun to do the windowsill in soapstone, not just for beauty but also it will give me a heat resistant surface. Any pros or cons to a soapstone windowsill?

Comments (5)

• salex
    7 years ago

I have a similar dilemma, but after seeing a few photos on Houzz showing windowsill from the same material as the countertop, I'll be doing that rather than introducing another material. [Here's an example[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/palos-park-kitchen-renovation-contemporary-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~125229).

• jupidupi
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, turned out to be a non-starter. Our windowsill had to fit in a space no more than 3/4" thick, and the only soapstone I could find was 1 1/4" thick. So I guess it's back to marble.

• DIY2Much2Do
    7 years ago

Your fabricator should be able to cut it to 3/4" thickness. I have 1 1/4" soapstone counters, but they cut the backsplash pieces down to 3/4" thick.

• Xochitl
    7 years ago

Not all fabricators can hone down soapstone. I only found one while I was doing my soapstone countertops in Los Angeles.

• PRO
    Garden State Soapstone
    7 years ago

No cons, other then soapstone is a darker material. Durable, non-porous, indestructible.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.