riotbrrd

Plywood under soapstone countertops?

Kim Ladin
7 years ago

We're doing Ikea cabinets with 3cm soapstone tops. The soapstone guy says we don't need plywood on top of the cabinets before the soapstone goes in (note that we will be notching the metal crosspieces into the cabinet sides so they're flush). My contractor is dubious, saying he always puts plywood under stone tops.

Any experience/expert opinions on this?

Comments (6)

• banana suit
    7 years ago

We have 3cm soapstone with no plywood but we don't have ikea cabinets.

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

Generally speaking, I understand the same as Debbi - yes for 2 cm, not necessary for 3 cm.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

There is no plywood needed.

• mathteachr
    7 years ago

We have ikea cabinets and 3 cm soapstone and no plywood. I did use the ikea brackets on the sides of the cabinets to bring the sides up to flush with the metal pieces on the front and back of the ikea cabinets, so all sides of the cabinet would be touching and supporting the stone.

• PRO
    Garden State Soapstone
    7 years ago

There is no need to add plywood on top of the existing base
    cabinets. This will raise the entire countertop up the thickness of
    the plywood. Which means you will see the plywood edge at the front.

However, since these are Ikea cabinets, the cabinets are supported only on the metal strips or stretchers. Ikea
    typically supplies these small metal pcs to apply to the top of the
    base cabinet to level off the base cabinets consistent with the metal
    strip. We recommend adding strips of wood on top of the base
    cabinets to keep everything level to the front metal strips.

Soapstone
    is extremely heavy at 22 lbs sq/ft, so we also recommend adding wood cleats
    at rear of base cabinets, where you can, to add additional support.Hope that helps.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.