stef2222_zone5

Has anyone tried the three sister planting method in their SFG?

stef2222_zone5
8 years ago

I only have one 4x8 bed and it's completely enclosed in chicken wire due to squirrels. Out of 32 squares, I can only use 28 because I had to make a path for me to stand on while tending to the bed (inside).

Would it be okay if I dedicate 4 quares to three sisters method of planting? This will be the north side of the bed.

I'm also growing 4-5 indeterminate tomatoes and some greens and herbs in the same raised bed.

I'm really hoping this can be done!

Thanks so much in advance for your assistance!

Comments (5)

• ocdigger
    8 years ago

My first year SFG I did try this. The pole beans grew up the corn stalks and hog tied them. Nothing happened with the squash. I hand pollinated the few ears of corn I harvested. Decided this was not a good method.

berkie

stef2222_zone5 thanked ocdigger
  • stef2222_zone5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your input!!

• PRO
    Abundant Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Corn is hard to get good pollination in smaller plots, you can substitute sunflowers for a "trellis" although they are nutrient hogs so plant any tomatoes or peppers further away.

• User
    8 years ago

Abundant Design, LLC stick being architect square and 3 sister not worth it in 4x4

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Abundant Design has a good idea about using sunflowers as a trellis for the beans. However, trying a three sisters garden in only 4 square feet would be hard to do. Sunflowers and beans are definitely doable in that space but you'll probably have to omit the squash. If you could use the entire bed for the three sisters you'd have a better chance at success and would be able to plant the traditional beans, corn, and squash together (although I realize you'd be sacrificing valuable growing space doing so).

On another topic, is there any way you could bump out the enclosure two feet from the bed to give you walking room around the bed instead of having a path inside it?

Rodney

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.