bettysgirl22

E P Grebe Rimmel artwork listed in this photo

bettysgirl22
8 years ago
Ella Pauline Grebe Rimmel is my grandmother. Can you send me a photo of her artwork listed as being in this photo? She passed away in 1974 and I am amazed that the internet is showing me her artwork! Thanks.
Seattle Sustainable MCM: Eclectic Dining Room · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Mid-Century Rehab
    8 years ago

Hi Betty's Girl!

How exciting for you to unexpectedly find one of your grandmother's pieces of art! The artwork is not in the photo above, but I will take a couple of pictures for you in daylight, tomorrow. I'm sure you will love it... your grandmother was a great artist!

Kirsti

• bettysgirl22
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much! This looks like a woodblock print. I have never seen this one before. My grandmother died in 1974 - where and when was this piece purchased?

• p_weller
    7 years ago

When I was growing up as a student near Royersford PA, I had art lessons from "Mrs Rimmel" at her studio on Lewis Road (the house/studio, sadly, no longer exists). She was an impressive individual and artist, and I've never fully understood why her "mid-century" 1950s/60s expressionist work hasn't surfaced (yes, I check occasionally). As I recall, she had a couple sons who went to Hill School, and you could be one of their children - though I'm sad you don't seem to know more about her work. I'd hoped her paintings had survived within the family. She was a spectacular woman who has not received the attention she deserves. Don't know we'll ever connect, but she was an important person and teacher in my life, even now decades later as an architect in Chicago. PBW

bettysgirl22 thanked p_weller
  • bettysgirl22
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your kind words and remembrances. The house is still on Lewis Rd but no longer in the family. Several of us grandchildren do have Ella Pauline's work in our homes. I have created a Pinterest page to begin to document her work. Several years ago I found on Ebay a self portrait she did when she was 17. Her work changed lot over the years from romantic realism to the expressionist work she did in her later years, She graduated from Moore College of Art and Design in the late 20's. I followed in her footsteps and graduated from Moore in the 70's with a BFA in Interior Design. She was so excited that I was going to her alma mater but unfortunately she did not live to see me graduate. It is amazing how much we are still finding her work on the internet....my cousin who lives Limerick, just bought a piece of her work from a gallery in Colorado. Receiving your message has inspired me to get back to adding things to the Pinterest page. Thank you again. R Rimmel

• urbanscott69
    7 years ago

Hello bettysgirl22, I have a DVD of your Grandmother's art work. There are a bunch of pictures in a slide show format, but I can't upload it because of the program it was done on. There might be a way, but I don't know how to do it. My wife is not sure either. If you are interested, I would be more than happy to send it to you. Is there a business address I can mail it to you at? I was happy to see your post. Thank you for the information about your Grandmother. I will check back here for a response. Hope you have a Happy New Year!, Scott U

• bettysgirl22
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Scott - the power of the internet is amazing! How do you have a DVD of E.P. Grebe Rimmel artwork? Is it all artwork the you own? Are you in the Philadelphia area? I am building a Pinterest page of my grandmother's artwork. E.P. Grebe Rimmel

rene

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.