eeyuh

French drain with sump pump or grading?

Eeyuh
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Firstly, we're in drought country, the projected El Niño this year notwithstanding.

We've been told we need a French drain and we've been told we can solve the problem with grading. Our lot is on a slight downward slope, from east to west with our front door pointing north. We've got a crawl space with 3-4 foot walls. Our roof gutters spew right on the foundation on the uphill side and the our neighbor's roof gutters funnels under a fence to almost the same location. We know we have a grading problem from the pest and foundation people, and a drainage problem because the house (we bought it less than a year ago) had pools of standing water in the crawl space from heavy rains when we found it. Part of that problem is getting fixed by moving out a wall. The extension will cover the property low point behind the house - all water flowed to this point, pooled and swept into the crawl space. We've heard we need two levels of drainage - one near the surface for the roof gutters, the neighbors water and other runoff, and a French drain down below our foundation line, full perimeter of the house including the lowslope side. We've heard no sump-pump, one sump-pump or two sump-pumps at $1,000 apiece. We've also heard we could grade. Our soil is clay - I've heard that clay is never going to release its water to a French drain which leaves us wondering if there should be one four feet down below the foundation wall. Everyone has a position that makes sense and they all contradict each other. Contractor says he should do it. Landscaper says he should do it. Guidance anyone?

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    8 years ago

Could you please show some OVERALL shots that include the problems?

Eeyuh thanked Yardvaark
  • PRO
    Davison's 4 Seasons Landscaping
    8 years ago

scratch the french drain idea a together. Most if not all are installed and eventually plug up with debris. Install catch basins and fix grade to flow into them with a cleanout here and there. Simple fix ....

Eeyuh thanked Davison's 4 Seasons Landscaping
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.