helesbeles

Sitting room colours/ curtain

Helena Dyer
8 years ago
Hi, looking for some advice as to what to do in our sitting room. 3 piece Suite of furniture(2x grey,1x stripy pink, green& light purple.) not sure what colour / design of curtains to go for?? Also 3 of the 4 walls has windows. Should i go for a mix of blinds and curtains?i have attached some pics

Pic 1-view on entering sitting room with patio doors to right of room.
Pic 2- view from patio doors
Pic 3- stripey snuggler

Any help or advice is welcome

Hx

Comments (24)

• bridgendrd
    8 years ago
    What a lovely light & airy room. I would def put a combination of roman blinds & curtains. Maybe a blind at the window behind the sofa & curtains on the doors x
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago
    If it were my choice I would probably avoid dark walls as the furniture is mid grey- I would choose a paint with green tones- this could be a fresh green such as churlish green (Farrow and Ball) or a sage but my preference would be to choose a white with green tones such as old white (F&B). And perhaps a cleaner white for the ceiling but not brilliant white- perhaps cornforth white?
    I would choose two fabrics- one plain and one patterned and choose green/ white/ pink colours. Have patterned roman blinds each side of the fireplace and long curtains at each end that are plain with the pattern panel at the top.
    Add patterned and plain cushions and then a plain rug and painted coffee table.
    I think your ceiling light fitting needs to be either wood colours or painted white.
    I might replace some of your picture frames with white alternatives and add table lamps too.
  • Helena Dyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow thank you jonathanjb1972 for your very detailed decor breakdown. Love the idea of the patterned blinds&plain curtains. Can already picture it!So it looks like a third paint is required. Hubby will go mad :-). We have had a grey on& now a cream. Now to find the fabric. Much appreciated for your help. Thanks again x
  • PRO
    Jessica Buckley Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello!

What a beautiful room - so lovely to have a room with so many windows and such great natural light.

I'd advise to keep the wall colour pale (as it is looks good to me!) and use the window treatments to add some colour and interest. One of my favourite options for dressing windows is to install Roman blinds and also a pair of curtains. The curtains can be purely decorative, or drawn in addition to the blinds for cold winter evenings to keep the heat of the room in and give the room a cosy feel.

My advice would be for you to find a fabric which co-ordinates with the striped sofa which you absolutely love (it doesn't need to be an exact match, but perhaps a pattern which has some of the pinks or green or pale purple in it) and use that for the curtain fabric. For Roman blinds you could go for a plain coloured linen and have it trimmed with a grosgrain ribbon border which coordinates with the curtain fabric.

I have illustrated an example below - the pics are with grey fabric but it works fabulously with any colour (and any pattern).

For the rest of the room I'd advise getting some side tables (try Neptune.co.uk) and lamps (try Pooky.com) and a large rug (have a look at Plantation Rug Company). A rug will instantly make the room feel more homely.

Have fun!

Best wishes

Jessica

Jessica Buckley Interiors

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello helesbeles,

Firstly the light in the room means you have far more scope when it comes to colours... as you don't really need to consider keeping the scheme light due to lack of natural light.. So... before talking about colours, I want to suggest a layout which will balance the room a bit more..

Have you considered putting the stripe chair in the opposite corner where the picture is on the floor in the corner there.. This would enable conversation as two pieces of seating would be facing each other so to speak.. For curtains keep them as light as possible as the furniture is darker and they are large pieces.. 2 sofas and an armchair is quite a lot for that size of room..

So consider plain blinds either Roman, Venetian or curtains that compliment the walls.. In this way they do not bring the walls into the room but they retain a feeling of distance.. Low console tables under the windows with a table light situated there will add to the atmosphere in the evenings and also has a welcome feel from the outside... It might be a lovely idea to have one at each window either side of the fireplace and a floor lamp near the rear sofa..

The rear wall could be painted to backdrop the sofa there, a grey colour or a mid purple colour would look good (lighting not too good to see sofa colour)

Something to pick out the rear sofa colour... A purple shade would give the rear wall a focal point and blend the sofa slightly more as grey and grey/purple work nicely together.... So you see less of the bigger furniture..

Then you can add some contrast cushions for example.. purple or charcoal plain coloured silk with a lovely detail which adds texture.. or a cream colour would look good on the sofas and the chair to lift .. See images Origami range by Nitin Goyal..It is still quite neutral and the muted range by Little Greene is a good paint range to look at.. Shown are Mirror and Mid Lead. The driftwood lights for the window offer similarity but are different enough to add interest.. Interior designers (other than myself) think that symmetry is paramount... but often can look rather boring, so find a way to introduce something a little different!

Moving on to some more suggestions, some canvases or a mirror on that rear wall would be nice. If you had a mirror over the mantle that too would be ideal.. I do think a fireplace needs a mirror. Possibly look at lowering the chandelier a bit., so a few ideas and suggestions for you...... .. : ))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. It's a lovely room. I'd go for Roman blinds on the fireplace ŵall and curtains at either ends. Just a natural linen for the blinds, maybe with a border of sorts to give it more of that modern country feel but would keep it neutral so as not to bring the walls in. Maybe vintage linen curtains in a modern floral picking up 1 or 2 of the armchair colours. I agree with AJ re the chandelier and chair positon, would also move both sofas a little way from the ŵall. Agree with others re rug, cushions, side tables and lamps. Green especially looks great against grey for cushions and maybe add a little grey to the armchair to tie the seating in.

• Helena Dyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So much wonderful advice from u all. Thanks so much for taking the time to put such effort and detail into ur responses.
    So the general consensus seems colour pattern in the curtains and plain blinds with a border.
    Im goin to look at fabric in the morning with the hope of choosing. Im also considering getting the fireplace sprayed cream? with this in mind if i chose colorful blinds & plain curtains would that look too 'in your face'?
    Thanks for the advice on the snuggler position, it will prob end up in front of double doors as the corner where picture is will b where the tv goes. Loving the console table/ lamp idea. Want it done by xmas. I hope i can bring it all together and share an after pic with u all
    Hx
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. I wouldn't paint the fireplace cream as I'd want to stand it out from the walls a little more. Maybe a stone or a not too dark warm grey or greige. Maybe something like farrow and ball elephants breath? The room is quite large but It appears rectangular so I wouldn't personally go for colourful blinds as it may bring the windows/walls in a little. Good luck fabric shopping!

• PRO
    Casa Colori
    8 years ago

Hi I had a quick look at the photos and I like the room; it seems to have nice proportions. Not knowing your taste I wil tell you what I would do if it was my lounge. I would add light bright green curtains to create a sort of continuity with the garden. For the walls either a green lighter than the colour of the curtains or a light grey. Grey is a huge versatile colour and it would allowed you to add a lot of paintings or photos with bright colours. Your room seems to have little light so I would add mirrors in strategic places (opposite to windows). I would also add pink pillows for the grey couch. I would move the furniture around to give you more room to leave in. The chandelier would be replaced by an other that can reflect more light; I would also add more table lamps or floor lamps to create s cosy environment for the evening.

let me know if you want a chat with me to clarify some details more.

ciao

silvia

• PRO
    The BrownHouse Interiors
    8 years ago
    I would go for grey walls and blinds then source the same or similar green as in the stripe for the curtain fabric. Alternatively use the pink from the stripe for curtains. Also you can use a couple of shades of grey buy a shade as dark as you want for the wall without window then get some white and mix it in to the paint for the other walls creating your own peso all shade of grey also get a rug in grey or a combination of colours. Greys always look good. Don't be afraid of colour and accessories make the room.
  • PRO
    Interior Therapy
    8 years ago

Hi

What a lovely bright room, lots of options here.

I agree with keeping the walls nice light and fresh, a great alternative to the Farrow and Ball Cornforth White is Dusted Moss 2 by Dulux, it is virtually the same colour but has more of a green tone, so this will tie in nicely with your striped sofa.

I would use Roman Blinds for the windows and floor length curtains across the doors. Again i would pick out a colour from the Striped sofa to tie the look together.

A nice large rug under the coffee table, would soften the look of the room and give it a great homely feel.

Personally I would leave the fireplace until last, as you may feel once the room has been painted and curtains up etc it actually looks right in the room, if not then you can paint afterwards, it ties in well with the floor, if you choose a lighter coloured rug again this will lift the room and the wood of the fireplace will not stand out as much.

Finish with nice frames, table lamps and possibly a large mirror behind the sofa and you will have an amazing cosy living room.

Good luck.

Cant wait to see the finished room!

Vickie

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Hi helesbeles,

I agree with the other comments that the room has lots of potential being light and bright. The curtain / blind dilemma is always a tricky one in our experience. Our advise would be to keep it as simple as possible, think about using neutral colour roller blinds on the smaller windows and curtain on the french windows. Too many curtains may make the room seem too cluttered and appear smaller. I like the green stripe from the armchair, it is a lovely warm tone and you could match it as a colour matching paint centre.

If you are thinking of painting the walls too we would advise that you do that first and see how it turns out before deciding on blind and curtain colours. You don't have to make too many decisions at once.

Good luck and post a photo when you have finished.

Elaine and Melaine

• PRO
    Alie Carter Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello Helesbeles,

It's a lovely, light room, but you probably want to 'cosify' it a bit for the evenings and give it a sophisticated but warm vibe. I would go for a mid to light grey on the walls . Have a look at Little Greene - lovely soft tones and a great range of greys.

if you're a pattern girl go for a soft blousy floral or paisley for the curtains - if pos muted pinks, greens and lilacs on a grey background, but if you prefer a simpler look, choose a grey linen union a shade darker than the walls and add a border on the leading edge. I would add a little zing with some nice pops of coloured piping in velvet or satin on some scatter cushions for the sofas.

Good luck,

Alie

• PRO
    Prestige Maintenance Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Helesbeles,

What a beautiful room! Lots of natural light. A light grey would be fresh but a little cosier in my opinion for the walls. I love the green in the stripe of the furniture, you could have hints of it in the curtain which I think would tie in nicely but also make the room that bit cosier.

Another idea might be to keep the curtain colours simple and plain and maybe have a pop of colour (The green in the stripe) by having a rug in the middle of the room.

Already looking forward to seeing the room all finished :)

Prestige Maintenance.

• mointerior
    8 years ago

Hi there first of all its all depends on your budget, second your room is very light so colour will be no issue you can paint any colour wether its dark or light colour, and third how much do you want to transform your room.. Because you already have grey I would go with the similar colour scheme, you can paint two of your wall grey, the back where the door is and the window wall where the grey sofa, and move the stripe sofa on the other coner next to window, and I would go for curtains that will make the room look more elegent, one thing you definetly should change is the skirting boad and door frame to white.. Have a look at the photo below.. If I could anymore please let me know. Thanks

• mointerior
    8 years ago

• mointerior
    8 years ago

So you can use different colour pillows accoding to what colour you have from your stripe sofa .

• Helena Dyer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank u all for the wonderful suggestions. You r all amazing& really helping me. This curtain choosing is tough but i have it down to 2- see attached.want a wow factor in the room and something that will last a long time
    So for pic 1 - thinking of curtains in the pink thistle both ends of the room with blinds in the light grey material either side of the fireplace trimmed with a pink,green border (border colours same as curtains)?
    Pic 2- all 3 small windows in blinds made with the large pink fabric.
    Curtains for the french doors in the plain grey material for the bottom 3/4 bordered with the larger pink trim on the top so it ties in with the blinds?
    We just repainted the room a few wks ago from a grey to thr cream that is on it so i dont think we have the time for a 3rd repaint
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    Lovely light room. I think grey curtains or a pale pink or red would be lovely. I think you should keep the colour of the walls as they are or a light grey would be nice.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago
    I love both of the curtains you have picked. The first picture I prefer. I think they will look great xx
  • PRO
    Interior Therapy
    8 years ago
    Personally I prefer the 1st material choice.
    I think instead of curtains each end stick to curtains at the French doors only, in the plain fabric and a Roman blind in the plain the opposite end. Use the pink statement fabric for the Windows either side of the fireplace, this will add your wow factor and also be the first thing you see as you walk in the room.
    You could add a border, which I think will look nice but give you less room for change in the future of plain then the room can be easily updated.
    I would also get a few cushions made in the plain ( for stripped) chair and possible a couple for the grey sofas in the print material, mixed with other cushions.
    Good luck with your choice, lovely materials!
    Vickie
  • PRO
    Vandelli
    8 years ago

Good Morning, we have given your room much thought and would reccommend Plantation Shutters to keep the light and airy feel in your room.Have Table Lamps instead of a central Light if you are keeping your existing sofas then a complimentary pale grey Rug on the floor hang your pictures in groups as oppose to one picture with multiple images. the walls can also have a soft grey hue complimenting the shutters and the picking up the grey accents in the furniture and the rug. scatter cushions can be in one or more of the colours in the sofas and grey tones.

Good luck with your project hopefully you will put images up of your final choices.

regards

Elizavetta and Suzanne

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.