katie_carson931

Need help with my kitchen

Katie Carson
9 years ago
I recently refinished my cabinets in my kitchen from white to gray. I couldn't afford new countertops so I worked with what I had. Can anyone add any help with maybe what I could do to add to the kitchen or change? Something seems to be missing. My butcher block top is on order for my island.

Comments (176)

• er612
    9 years ago
    Here are my suggestions:
    1. Clear the walls
    2. Paint walls a soft white (anything but bright white).
    3. Paint the window wall in the dining area a darker grey (if you still have the color swatch from your cabinets, choose a couple shades darker). Ex:
    Flying Point · More Info

4. Change your cabinet knobs to brushed nickel (you could also spray paint your existing ones - I've done it before. It's super easy and works really well.)
    5. Take a pic and post to this thread
    Katie Carson thanked er612
  • Jenna Carr
    9 years ago
    Natalie... Those last pics you posted look AMAZING!!!
  • Related Discussions

I need help with my kitchen island and my fire place

Q

Comments (11)
    Well, you could certainly provide some counter height stools without adding onto the counter. I would make the stools simple ones that don't call attention to themselves. Look at how the ones below are there to be sat upon but there's no overhang. The height you will need is called a counter stool. Or you have space for 2 at each end of the island with just a big of an overhang. People just like a place to perch while they chat with you while you're cooking. White stools would blend right into the island and be inconspicuous.
    ...See More

Need help with my kitchen please

Q

Comments (7)
    I believe the cabinets are a dark charcoal, sometimes also known as off black... The valences can be even more super simple to make yourself if you buy two table runners with a similar design and sew three ends together :) then sew rod pocket and install the rod on the back of the overhang :) If you can't find table runners, it's such simple sewing that definitely can be done by a beginner.
    ...See More

Need help for my kitchen living room

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm thinking the same way Darzy,maybe I will go with all the same or find a nice tile. I am getting ready to refit my kitchen so may need some help.i am thinking of a grey coloured farrow and ball colour on the bottom cabinets and white on the top. On the back wall of the kitchen I have a brick chimney hood so this time I would like to do something different and not as bulky looking so was thinking of doing a small mantle and just putting a downdraft behind my cooking hob if anyone can advise does the downdrafter really work?
    ...See More

Need help for my kitchen

Q

Comments (38)
    A soft mossy or grey green would be my first impulse but Sarah's dark blue looks good. It depends on your kitchen ware. White porcelains will pop with the blue and earthy stoneware will go more with the soft greens. I'd add a shelf to extend from the cabinet across the tile and a pot rack or hooks over the stove.
    ...See More
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Thank-You Jenna! :)
  • imarydr
    9 years ago
    rustolem has a very easy product that you can tint any color for lamenant counter tops. I have done black in one hohse and it looked like slate and dark brown in my own house. if it gets allot of abuse you can either polyurethane or use marine grade varnish.
    Katie Carson thanked imarydr
  • Theresa Santi
    9 years ago
    You feel it's not complete & Ur right it's not now but I'm sure once there island is complete it will then really come together. It does seem a little dark. Brighten it up & enjoy. :)
    Katie Carson thanked Theresa Santi
  • bagirl
    9 years ago
    New hardware like brushed nickel. If you can afford stainless appliances - they would fit right in.. But the most obvious thing to me is the vent hood, the red thing in the window and the hardware.
    Katie Carson thanked bagirl
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Get a red rug, red kitchen towels.
    Katie Carson thanked happyleg
  • niki76
    9 years ago
    Have you tried a wooden countertoo. It actually is not expensive and can be beautifully finished.
  • Cathy Voelker
    9 years ago
    I think that stainless appliances are far over-rated. They show every finger mark & are unforgiving for dents. I personally do not want to spend my life wiping a stainless surface. With a butcher-block island it wouldn't look right anyway. I agree to get the red glass panel out of there and get the clutter out of the corner. If you put up curtain keep it minimal...maybe a small ruff across the top but not much, maybe put the same material inside the glass cupboard to hide the dishes. To me, glass doors just show the clutter inside too.
    Katie Carson thanked Cathy Voelker
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Glass doors are for a neat display of dishes, nothing messy.
    Katie Carson thanked happyleg
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi Katie,
    I feel really sad that so many of the posters have not read your comments (or any of the others' comments). So many are so repetitive and do not give credence to your choices. It makes my head spin reading them.

A couple of suggestions, for what it is worth. Several posters mentioned new cabinet knobs. I bought square knobs at the Walmart superstore in a brushed chrome look. They had about 6 styles (only one square style). The Lowe's by me also carries knobs, and probably 50 different styles. You could go with black knobs, but they need to be more modern.

Personally, I would paint the window trim to match your new island countertop in order to tie it into your overall kitchen design. Since your appliances are not new and you don't have to worry about warranties, I would consider asking MAACO automobile painters to paint your appliances whatever color makes you happy. It probably would not cost too much. (I am not a fan of stainless steel appliances). I would go black or a color that pops, but not white or gray because it would be too much with your newly painted cabinets. The pendant lite shade is too small and you might have to replace it, but LampsPlus.com and Bellacor.com have amazing sales constantly. You might be able to get just a larger shade through one of them or locally. You will have to measure the lamp shade base to get the right size. You could get a square one, retrofit the interior of it with a wire-hanger form that you fit over the existing lampshade (saw it on making a custom lampshade YouTube video awhile back). I would color-coordinate the lamp shade with the color you choose for the wall or, if you paint the appliances, then that color.

I would put a valance over the top of the window to the ceiling to make the window appear larger. There are styrofoam valance kits that you poke a fabric of your choice (or two fabrics) that are an easy project. On the edges I'd go with black and in the center I'd go with a matching gray that picks up the darker gray of your backspash (or vice versa). If you cannot rewire the electrical outlet for the microwave, then I'd get a wood trim piece to box it in and tile it to match your back splash. There is silicone that would hold it onto the tiled wall that could be carefully cut through to remove it at a future time. Just make sure the vertical part is big enough for the microwave plug to go through for when the microwave needs replacement.

I think your kitchen is coming along nicely. Be sure to coordinate throughout the other renovations you mentioned you plan on doing so that it all is cohesive in the end.
    Katie Carson thanked jillybeansisme
  • lnsail
    9 years ago
    So many opinions! It is funny how different they are. For me, the things that seem "off" in your lovely kitchen are the wall color, the patterned plates, and the crinkle type glass in the cabinets (which gives a different "texture" look then the backsplash). These have been mentioned and you have already removed the top plates.

I think painting the walls either the pale grey or off white would make a big difference and make the other elements (cabinets and counter) work together. A bright color, such as red, could be used for accessories (like towels and canisters). Adding Another item in dark wood, to match the butcher bloke, would be good. The K is nice and could be put over the microwave cord (since you need the counter for dish drying). I hope you don't get discouraged by all these comments...you did a good job on the cabinets!
    Katie Carson thanked lnsail
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    Personally speaking because of budget restraints I think the kitchen looks quite in order. The only thing I would add is a window treatment

Thanks,
    J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - Coral Gables - South Beach - Pinecrest - Sunny Isles - Williams Island - South Miami - Miami - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
    Katie Carson thanked J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
  • Brenda Jo Roach
    9 years ago
    Katie, If you would remove everything from top of cabinets & countertops as well as that wall to the left of cabinets in dining area, install your new butcher block counter, then place what looks to be a coffee maker under your microwave to help disguise the cord there. If you like the black touch of your cabinet knobs,then keep them, paint only the two green walls a shade of white that goes well with the white window and white appliances-- that will totally brighten up the space! Then add a valance to top of your window in a solid black fabric. Now for the corner where the "K" is, pick one "wow" item in a bright color that you absolutely LOVE(a single piece of pottery, a bright colored mixer, your red item that was in window, just as long as it is a wow shot of color you LOVE!). I would then place two or three substantial "floating" shelves over your furniture piece(where coffee maker was) and voila! now you have a perfect place to display your neat collection of fans so they will be more enjoyable! I would then add just a few items on shelves that bring your same "POP" color over to that area and your "K" could be painted in your pop color and used there in your fan grouping. It is just a personal opinion of mine, but I think tops of cabinets should be kept open-- just seems it would give you a more tidy, clean, modern look in a kitchen this size. Your eye will then go to all your pretty pops of color and your backsplash will be a very nice statement as well.
    Katie Carson thanked Brenda Jo Roach
  • Brenda Jo Roach
    9 years ago
    Katie, your clock would look great on wall to left of microwave.
  • alicejean
    9 years ago
    Such a pretty kitchen. I would try the letter and decorative plate under the microwave to conceal the plug and cord. I agree with the suggestion of a larger pendant light. If you enjoy the items above your cabinets, and I imagine you do, try grouping them
    Katie Carson thanked alicejean
  • Maryanna Don
    9 years ago
    Color is such a personal thing. When I look at your use of grey/white/charcoal, I understand red is one possible option. I think a bright yellow is another. I agree with painting most of the kitchen a grey-white but the wall by the table could be a deep color (deep grey or even yellow). Then add yellow on the counters with some real flowers or a yellow bucket for utensils, plate, or ? I would remove the red glass, the clock and the pictures on the top cabinet to the right of the sink. An interesting hook for a bright hand towel would be useful and a color splash on that cabinet side. I like brendajo's idea of a grouping above and on the credenza -- shelves with the fans, the K, the large plate from the counter and maybe a mirror. Eliminating the dried flowers and the coffee pots from that area would give you a better focus point. the coffee pot might be better hidden between the refrigerator and the stove. Lighter curtains would be nice -- maybe white with a sparse grey design -- check Ikea -- I think they had something like that with a wispy branch design. You would make a flat valance over the sink to match if you don't like the bare look. And reupholster the chair seats All of this is very low cost and not very time consuming. If you had the money, a white microwave would balance the appliances at a relatively low cost. Start by moving plug up and putting something vertical under that cabinet. If you are going to tackle the dining area, consider painting your table and chairs and credenza a dark grey. When you get it all together, then consider if the cabinet knobs feel wrong to you. Remember to coordinate with the cabinet hinges. spray painting the knobs would save money if you decide the dark ones don't do it for you. Even with a new light fixture over the sink, you don't need to spend more than a couple hundred dollars more. You have done a great job and not all kitchens must have granite and stainless to be attractive, warm and inviting.
    Katie Carson thanked Maryanna Don
  • henry111
    9 years ago
    Katie
    I think you have a great style. Love what you have done on a small budget. Don't get rid of the knobs unless you hate them - trends change and people love to repeat expert advise which for budget redo's always includes changing the hardware but I personally think they look great on your cabinets and if you change them you may have to do something about the hinges as well. Please post a pick when you get the island top and unless you open that window a lot get a command hook and hang your stained glass panel in the center covering the window latch.
    Katie Carson thanked henry111
  • bagirl
    9 years ago
    I have to say I love your vintage fan collection! And even though I gave some advice, I must say - it all looks great to me. I noticed where someone said to remove clutter behind your glass - that isn't clutter. I should post a picture of mine to show them a good example of clutter ha! And I love the style of that glass too.
    Katie Carson thanked bagirl
  • Katie Carson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow, would have never thought there would be so many comments. I do appreciate everyone's point of view. I have my island top now and have made some recommended changes but haven't been able to do everything. I will post pics in the coming days. I still need to paint my wall (deciding on color yet) and eventually get a new counter top, but all in time :)
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    I too like your glass doors & they're not cluttered. I also like your window trim, it is next to cabinets & is fine white. The clock is fine too, but gets harder to reach.
  • mjholmes
    9 years ago
    I just saw photos of your kitchen and adjoining dining area. Since your rooms are really one big room paint all the walls except for maybe a focus wall the same light color. This will make your space seem larger. I would not paint your kitchen wall burgundy. I would stick to adding pops of red in canisters, towels, floor mat or rug by the sink, and a valance over the sink. Make sure you add some red throughout the entire space in pillows, throw rugs, faux flowers or vase on the table, etc.
  • Katie Carson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Tried brushed nickel pulls/knobs and didn't care for them at all. Maybe a more modern square black knob.
  • Arelis Vargas
    9 years ago
    you cand add some kitchen tolls on the counter like some spoons , decorations, nice fake flowers or plant. The lamb can be changed for something more outstanding. Walls should be painted to bring more life into the kitchen , the fridge counters and wall look like they are almost tbe same color. You can try painting the cabniets or and changingthe wall color toike a nice beige or white color
  • Arelis Vargas
    9 years ago
    you can add some kitchen tools on the counter like some spoons vase , decorations, nice fake flowers or plant. The lamb can be changed for something more outstanding. The wall color can be painted to a nice beige. Or white . Looks like theres to much blue in the kitchen
  • bagirl
    9 years ago
    Will you take a close pic of your glass please? I'm really liking it. A LOT. That glass is like real wood flooring: something to never get rid of!
  • Julie McCuiston
    9 years ago
    I can't wait to see what you do with this great little kitchen. I know your head must surely be spinning but I enjoy reading all the viewpoints. What a creative bunch!
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    Personally speaking because of budget restraints I think the kitchen looks quite in order. The only thing I would add is a window treatment

Thanks,
    J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - Coral Gables - South Beach - Pinecrest - Sunny Isles - Williams Island - South Miami - Miami - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • paigektr
    9 years ago
    The product looks like you have done a great job!
    The first thing in the picture my eye was drawn to was the dark knobs. I would definitely go to a brushed nickel on the knobs, I think that would help greatly. The second is a change in the room color, a gray would be great and the right gray will look good with all your accessories also.
    As far as the cabinets, the painted laminate product is a good one. I have had friends use it and it looks very good when complete. Then if you did the black countertop, with your gray backsplash, light gray cabinets and brushed nickel pulls, it would pull together for a great update, and your butcher block would pull right into all of it.
    You would not have to worry with this plan with any accessories because with the wood island, all of your wood would go well, with black countertops your black accessories would be great, and all of your stainless appliances would work with the knobs.
    Cheap and easy fix.
    Good luck! No matter what you do you will love it when your done!
  • Sara Anwar
    9 years ago
    Hi, i will suggest you to do some window treatment and countertops, just put green coloured valence and your kitchen will definetly look great.
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    9 years ago
    looks good
    Katie Carson thanked Comwest Construction
  • brtlofsheel
    9 years ago
    Such an incredible design.. love the lightening
  • Katie Carson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    probably with such a busy backsplash I should keep my window treatment fairly minimal. I was thinking just a flat roman shade. What do you think about this fabric?
  • Katie Carson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I really like this, but probably too busy?
  • 75patricia
    9 years ago
    I had a similar small kitchen ...not such busy tile .. wood cabinets. . note simple window treatment... small horizontial blind for private or shield sun when wanted.
  • er612
    9 years ago
    The patterned shade is definitely too busy. I like the white one with black trim though.
  • Sara Anwar
    9 years ago
    Yes, roman shade will work but in contrast with your cabinet colour, someting bight
  • greenfish1234
    9 years ago
    No white, no busy pattern. Choose a dark and a light color from your tile and get a 2-color large print in those colors?
  • Vickie J Boulton
    9 years ago
    Katie, I like the roman shade you like and have displayed. If you think it may be too busy and your window does not face south or west (needing to shade the entire window) perhaps you could grab a sewing machine, cut the shade down to a valance length and put it up with tension rods between the cabinets, covering the window casing all the way across. You could even put one tension rod against the window with the lower one closer to front of the cabinet in a awning effect with a flap at the bottom scalloped or straight. This might minimize the "busy" and let you include all the colors in your backsplash as well as that touch of red. Crafters come up with all sorts of ideas for a window that won't damage the woodwork and can be changed out so easily. Still thinking..........
  • Sheryl Horton
    9 years ago
    Square knobs catch on your pockets. rip!
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    I think adding a simple crown moulding to the cabinet tops would raise their height and help clean up the look. This is another example of the gratuitous overuse of backsplash mosaics causing confused looks. The tiles are attractive and I understand why people like the detail but the overall finished look is difficult for people to envision.
  • Nancy LaRochelle
    9 years ago
    The room would look larger and more pulled together if you did some de-cluttering. Less is more and your new kitchen will stand on its own.
  • tlparks
    9 years ago
    I personally would remove everything above cabinets, whatever is hanging on the cabinets to the right of the sink, the red thing in the windowsill and the clock. I also would change hardware to brushed nickel, which I just read you tried and didn't like.
  • PRO
    Hoffman & Swinburne
    9 years ago
    I agree - paint the countertops! To make the black hardware even better, embrace the darkness throughout. Dark counter, dark window trim, larger pendant (incorporating the white, in a milk glass or enamel). The dark trim will look so lovely with your dark butcher block.
    Katie Carson thanked Hoffman & Swinburne
  • Vickie J Boulton
    9 years ago
    I'm not so sure about dark window trim. The kitchen is a bit narrow from the view you've provided. I think I would stay with a consistant color of the cabinets to fool the eye into thinking it is wider. I like the other suggestions of a dark counter top if it is a close match to the finish on the island. It appears the stove has a dark top and if that is the case it makes that heigth consistant as well. Perhaps a white microwave? to closer match the cabinets as well as other appliances. Just trying to widen the room and keep it light and bright even though the counter heigth is contrasting.
  • Sara Anwar
    9 years ago
    I think the backsplash and coutertops are not of the correct combination, you can change the countertop any light shade or backsplash and countertops both. Another way is to add some yellow lighting.
  • Katie Carson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone I appreciate the comments. My project was at a standstill since I broke my arm a week before christmas. I hope to continue updating the space in the next few weeks, but I am still restricted from doing a lot. I will post pics on the progress...
  • Vickie J Boulton
    9 years ago
    Katie, I hope your broken arm wasn't caused by this project. I remember when I broke my arm I did fine all day but once I sat down to watch TV or read my arm would itch so wildly in the cast. A stretched out coat hanger became a fixture on my coffe table for helping scratch the itch. Hope your about to be free from the hassle and can get back to happier thoughts soon! AND TAKE CARE!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago

Katie.. hope you arm has healed well. You have the makings of a very cozy kitchen. MY thoughts are to select a dark charcoal countertop ( which will tie in very well with your backsplash & pick up on your knob color) ... move the clock to another spot as the cord from the pendant light cuts through it... get a larger pendant light for over sink... paint all the walls as per Natalie's color suggestions.

I noticed that there is a ceiling light/fan. Is this the only light besides the pendant in this open area or will there be one over the island? If the fan is not necessary consider changing it to a fixture that will provide more overall light.

Not sure what color you have the rest of the window & door trim in this room (possibly white)??. would stick with the same color for the window over the sink.

To beef up the look of the upper cabinets where the microwave is located you could add a shelf (about 6" deep just below the wall outlet).. would provide an extra spot for small canisters, etc... off white shelf & items of coarse.

• bktaztig
    6 years ago

Three years too late,,, Wall design is too busy and does not go with the cabinets. I know it probably cost a lot, but it's gotta go. Try a simple - uh, maybe tin ceiling tile panels (they now come in colors) - and you could either put matching tin in the doors above the microwave... or a matching panel of stained glass.... you need color and corordinates that pull together one style!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.